This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC 175

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xr4ticlone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC 175
    Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 9:47pm
I just bought a 175 out of Oklahoma.  Runs out well so far, but has clearly had a lack of maintenance.  

The rear end oil looks to be 2% milk Confused, drained it out already.  Did find 2 needle bearing pins...Sleepy.  Given they were on the magnet & had clearly been there a while (in addition to the fluid being old as hell) I'm hopeful it's not an end of the world deal.  Should I just drop them back in with the new oil and hope they find their way back home? Thumbs Up

Are there any drains on the side planetary drives next to the rear wheels?  And are those connected to the center rear oil reservoir? Or do they get their own oil?

Hydraulic oil was better, but not great.  Trying to find a hose from the reservoir to the pump is a challenge as it's 1" & 1.5" on the pump.  I'll talk to the dealership tomorrow, but I'm guessing that's not a part that's gonna be easy or cheap to find?  

I'm also going to rewire it and put in new gauges.  

She's gonna be a shredder tractor, might pull a drag or box blade from time to time...possibly a small disk to level out some of the 14 acres of lawn we have here. 

I've got industrial equipment, didn't want to spend a ton on a tractor.  Not impressed with the new crap, and with a skid and 18k pound midi ex & 8K telehandler a tractor isn't critical.  

Sponsored Links

DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 10:29pm
Final drives get their own oil - 80/90 gear oil.  If I recall, you have to drop the pan to drain.

Needle bearing pins will not find their way back home - just the magnetic drain plug.  I would not put them back in!

AGCO is your best bet for finding the hydraulic hose - I do not know if you have a side mounted pump or a front mounted pump.

175 Is a good tractor.  I grew up on one and still have it.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
xr4ticlone View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xr4ticlone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 10:54pm
Thanks!

I was worried you'd have to drop the pans...which means I'll probably need new gaskets I'm guessing.  Put that on the list...I'm sure it's NEVER been done. 

I was kidding about the needle bearings.  I've never had that before...I know it's not good. But wasn't sure how big of deal it really is...

I have a side mount pump. 

Wiring is pretty much patched up junk.  Paint isn't good.  Mine's a 'Crop Hustler' so I'm sure that makes it worth way more.  :)  

It needs a good bath, a little straightening, new wiring, and new fluids. 

She's gonna get new paint, decals, seat, steering wheel (it's shot), as well.  I'm also planning to make a sun shade for it and it's getting LED lighting (no lights on it right now that are in one piece) as well as flashers for the road (got a property 10 miles from here that needs shredded as well).

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xr4ticlone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 11:02pm
Also...since I'm gonna do this, is there anything else you should do while you're in there?

I can only imagine how bad the oil is in those drives.  Not looking forward to that job.  :( 

On this one it does appear there is a drain plug at the top of the bottom pan.  Could you drain and vacuum out instead of removing that entire part? 
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 6:47am
Remove those pans. Clean up properly. You won’t believe how much dirt is in there. 
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xr4ticlone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 11:21am
Good point...
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 11:47am
Add a pipe plug for the next time it needs changed.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xr4ticlone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 9:47am
Talked with Shultz & Sons in KS...they came recommended from a buddy down here for all things Chalmers.  I'd used them before and they knew exactly what was wrong with our 8070 (harmonic balancer)   GREAT GUYS!  Can't say enough good about them!  

Anyway, he asked if the shift boot was damaged...it is, almost torn in half.  That's where all the water came from.  He also asked if the bolts had paint on them...they don't,  so he's thinking (I agree) those pins are probably from an earlier repair.  

I'm going to do a full service, replace the radiator hoses, they look old.  Found the pump pick up hose, got a full set of new gauges (from India so I'll keep you posted) and we're going to do a full rewire as it's garbage.  

Putting LED lights on it and going to do a full paint job as well.  

Probably end up with too much money in it, but what the heck.  The Gov keeps printing it so there's no threat of it running out.  
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xr4ticlone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 9:49am
But I'll still have less in it than a new, light weight tractor that I can't fix. 

I don't think there's a whole lot that couldn't be made to work on this baby, even if parts got harder to find.  With the internet, I think about anything can be done on a tractor this simple. 
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 10:09am
I would recommend you run it for a year before repainting. You'll find all kinds of leaks and issues needing addressed. You'll want to fix those without having to worry about the new paint when you pull everything apart to fix.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 11:25pm
Don't get the cheap 10 or 15 dollar aftermarket fender flashers. I broke 2 out of 3 installing them. The AGCO ones are great and sealed so water doesn't get in them.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic