This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Abandoned HD21

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 2:37am
Taking blade off looses a lot of weight. If that structure hanging off the side of the  bridge is not the local DOT office, I`d be tempted to drive the tractor over it
Sponsored Links

Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 9:25am
Gordy- I've purchased two HD11 tractors that did not steer- turned out to be a plugged inlet screen on both of them- wouldn't hurt to double check if you haven't already.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 10:29am
Been following along with this story myself. Pretty interesting for sure! I was thinking the same as MacTractor was. I don't know much about Dozers other than they're super heavy and I've been working on a few our ours here at work on occasions, (D7G, 955, and JD650) but I would think that if you put that Dozer on a diet and remove the rear winch and front blade, and whatever else that could be removed to lighten her up, you just may be able to go right across that bridge wit dat big dude! Yeah, the bridge looks a bit scary at first, but looks to me that under all that moss n' stuff, it looks like a pretty stout & riveted bridge. After all, the Dozer got in there, put her on a diet, and lighten the old girl up n' git er' outta there!  Thumbs Up 
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 1:50pm
I was thinking if you would lay more long heavy timbers on top to increase the load bearing capacity while it went across, making sure the timbers are supported over the bridge supports... then remove the timbers and not affect the bridge to any extent.

I know, it's easer to think it than the fact of being able to do it...
 My first though was if you laid couple semi trailer flat beds down to cross on.

Or if there was a lesser embackment and was able to drag the crawler across from the other side with a bigger cat and winch...
  Good luck. and keep us posted of whats happening.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
sandman2234 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 3:26pm
Just wondering if there is anyway you could get another crawler with winch in there and a short section of railroad track to cross the river. Skidding it across steel tracks might be easier than dragging it thru the mud or across trees dropped to cover the water. If running, driving it across rails would be possible IF the crossties were long enough to allow another section of rails to be added outside the standard gauge width. Several sections of rail side by side with crossties or even steel welded under them to hold him in place so they don't twist might give you a temporary bridge. If you can get another crawler into there, to help move the "bridge", it can also help pull the other up the embankment on the other side. Not sure how long you are talking about, but rail comes in some pretty long sections, and a good friend at the scrapyard might be able to hook you up for a loan of some. (Not suggesting this, but I do see it all the time pulled and dropped on the right of way) A connection at the railyard might get a loan of some worn out stuff long enough to do this.
I would be scared of attempting to cross the existing bridge, because if it fails, you loose the Allis and you might get charged for the repairs of the existing bridge. Plus you would sure make a lot of people mad (the ones that currently use the bridge).
It is easy to sit in Florida and dream of ways to move this monster, but the bottom line is, GOOD LUCK AND BE CAREFUL!!
David from jax
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 1:26am
ACcrazy: You have raised so much interest in this thread that with some  sponsors you could likely start a TV series ......... "Rescue the HD21". If the bridge would crash the ratings would simply go up, LOLLOL   
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 9:41am
EricB lol. Just send me money, machines and a crew; we'll get 'er rescued!

Appreciate the suggestions on getting across the river guys but I'm fairly certain it will have to walk out under it's own power. From my perspective I have a couple choices. 1) Do a little blade work and cross the river at a shallow spot, which I think can be done in the summer when the flow is at its lowest volume. 2) Walk it out a road I found on Google Earth and come out on Thompkins Hill Road, which is a stones throw from Highway 101.
But first things first. I still have to see if the engine's free. The land owner is out of town for a month so I'm gonna have to wait until she's back before I'm able to monkey around with it.

Cal(KS)- Thanks a bunch for the offer on engine parts. I may be taking you up on that.

Edited by ACcrazy - 17 Apr 2013 at 9:43am
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 3:28pm
Is that how she got into there. Was the place logged, is that why it was in there to log the property. Sorry first time reading this post. How much does she weigh and has any of you guys had success in one moving after sitting that long. There's nobody in town like older guys that know the history of it and area. Good luck. I like the idea of saving her
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 4:51pm
Ill try to do what i can from 1822 miles away.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 12:13am
Well, it's been a month.  Any news yet?  We are all anxious for good news!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 9:08am
Nothing yet, John. I'll give her another call later today.
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2013 at 1:06pm
bringing this one back to the top as it has been a while since this "call later today" post.
ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 7:25pm
Happy Independence Day everyone!

Sorry for the delays here guys but I've been very busy with other duties as of late. I'm getting caught up but still much to do around the place here.

I called the owner again today and left a message. Hope I get a call back this time.
I know she has been busy with some legal back and forth with government entities over land usages so she may be a bit preoccupied with that deal at the moment.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 3:58am
Might be time to trial a flight of another TLA

FGE
ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 8:08am
Well, she's not returning my calls. I don't know what the deal is but I guess it's time to move on.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 5:39pm
Pay her a visit?  Take her some tomatoes or peaches, almost always works for me.
Good luck!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2013 at 9:57am
I agree, a visit in person puts a face to the name and will make the seller more comfortable.  They can hear your desire to fix the machine instead of soliciting a call from someone who may be just looking for iron to scrap.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 8:54pm
Guys, I have met with her in person and walked the property with her. I know where she lives, basically, but the entrance is gated and a fair distance from her residence. I don't think she'd take to kindly to me jumping her fence and showing up at her doorstep.
I can't say what will happen in the future but we're taking a break for now. That's all I can say at the moment.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 9:16pm
Drop her a card in the mail. Let her know you are the one that walked with her, and would like to save the crawler from scrap. HTH Tracy
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 9:51pm
Tell her once you have it restored... or back up to running, she can go and have a ride on it and if so inclined she can even run it... Well that was just a thought.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2013 at 1:01am
ACcrazy: I'm sure we'll hear from you again....you deserve to be complemented for having started the longest thread I've followed from start 'til now....6372 views at this point - Congratulations to you....you've caught the interest of many people!!!
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 5:39pm
6 months is a nice break..... Anything new to report?
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
From listening comes wisdom and from speaking comes repentance.
Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise.
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 10:46pm
Just thought I'd add these pictures of a 21 my father in law spotted while hunting a few years ago.
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 11:45pm
For us older guys this feels like a late model 21 .... far too new to be dismantled LOL. Looks to be all good 'til you get the side view Ouch
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 9:14am
Probably started out as a repair job that never got finished.  Looks like about 1975- it has the muffler.  By looking at the blade, it did its share of work.  I think it disappeared a couple of years back, probably cut up, but who knows?
ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 9:08am
Originally posted by Eric B Eric B wrote:

ACcrazy: I'm sure we'll hear from you again....you deserve to be complemented for having started the longest thread I've followed from start 'til now....6372 views at this point - Congratulations to you....you've caught the interest of many people!!!

Thank you, Eric.
ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 9:14am
Originally posted by GlenninPA GlenninPA wrote:

6 months is a nice break..... Anything new to report?

Unfortunately, no. But this endeavor is still alive. I have turned the reins over to AC_Mel. I will help in whatever capacity I can but he has the resources to actually make this happen. I'm hoping to see this machine added to his collection in the future. :)

Happy new year everyone!
Gordy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 12:01pm
  This one is still available for just a little above scrap price

AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2014 at 11:24pm
Great story..  What do these 21's weigh?  What kind of scrap price will one bring?  I sure hope you guys get that owner lady to cooperate...   Does she know how many Allis-Chalmers followers are watching this from this website??  Good luck to all..
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2014 at 12:18am
Originally posted by AC7060IL AC7060IL wrote:

Great story..  What do these 21's weigh?  What kind of scrap price will one bring?  I sure hope you guys get that owner lady to cooperate...   Does she know how many Allis-Chalmers followers are watching this from this website??  Good luck to all..
Weight for the HD 21 is in the range of 57 to 60 000 Lbs. depending on which model and options. Certainly would bring some good pocket money as scrap-metal when the rate is at the upper peak. I know a guy that was trying to sell a perfect running condition Gradall, he was looking for a very reasonable price ..... no takers. He drove it down to the scrap metal yard and parked it ..... went home with a cheque for $5000 ...... was ready to take less from someone buying it to keep it in the work force Embarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic