This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A-430 corn head question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben (MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A-430 corn head question
    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 3:29pm
I need to get few spare connector links for the gathering chains on my A-430 corn head. The chain is stamped CA 550. Is it safe to just get generic CA 550 master links or should I special order them from AGCO? Thanks.
Part time farming with a 1980 7060 and 1984 F3 hydro.
Sponsored Links

Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 4:20pm
I use USA link from drives chain any good link will work

FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 6:11pm
I have to wonder why you are compelled to purchase CONNECTOR LINKS For the gathering chains?? We have survived 12 seasons on a USED 4/30 BLACK head (I think you might have seen it 3 years ago when you picked up a part for a fellow member and dad helped you out with the stone door) and have no issues??
Ben (MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben (MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 7:37pm
When a gathering chain jumps off to put it back on I take it apart to put it back on. I have forever and am sure will always be prone to dropping small parts and not being able to find them even with a magnet.
Part time farming with a 1980 7060 and 1984 F3 hydro.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 8:59pm
Is something out of whack with the chains? I would think that adjusted by the book,they wouldn't have enough slack to come off. What makes them jump off?My last set were worn enough to be at the end of the idler slide and spring bolt at it's limit and never had that happen.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 9:47pm
Better look at front sprocket bearings and alignment.    MACK
old farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 12:43pm
The only time I had a chain coming off was when I picked up a small rock that would fit into chain while running down corn.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 5:24pm
If the chain tensioner is adjusted correctly, when you pull on the chain, the front idler only moves back 1/8". Makes it pretty tough for the chain to come off.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic