This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Story About "Allie", The 1953 WD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2022 at 9:24am
I have been cleaning up the front bolster for installation and making templates for the power steering conversion. I will also be working on the hand crank setup here in the next few days, it is currently bent and does look to have been tinkered with before. but i will start to repair this once it is in the frame of the tractor. 

Sponsored Links

Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 6:24am
Made a touch of headway on the front end, 

got the bolster back into spot. 

I also heard back from the machine shop. 0.010" machined off both the main and rods. Should get that back in the next couple of days then we can start with reassembly. another $600 spent at DJS for replacement parts. they should also arrive wednesday or so. 

Edited by Jtaylor - 28 Feb 2022 at 6:27am
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 1:06pm
Looking like a tractor again, except it will be like new, if not better than new.
Allis did have a power steering kit for the WD but would be like finding a needle in a haystack!!!
Also when you paint your front wheels they look nicer when you put some silver on the rim, I know a lot of people put them to all orange...

Those are before I put the tires on so you see what I mean...
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 5:54pm

Front 'silvered' rims are much better looking to me too as they match the theme of the rear silvered rims. I can understand why they often get painted all orange though.

When I get to the painting stage on my 52WD I've planned to do silver rims too.

Is that a dent in the nearest front wheel rim? Or camera lens tricks?

FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 6:39pm
I was noticing that 'flat spot' too...
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 8:53pm
Yes that’s a dint but it doesn’t bother to much though...
I think someone before me thought it was to close to the valve stem and bent it out. Figure it was going to mess it up worse trying to fix it so I left it..

FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 5:34am
to change the phrase a little ... if it works, don't fix it :)
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 8:37am
Made some progress on the engine last night. I got the crankshaft back looking like a million bucks. check out this before and after! 

It was ground 0.010" under and is a 45 crank. 

I was able to get it into the engine with new bearings. I will get the main caps on and check with plastigauge for the final amount of shims that will be required. 

I started switching over connecting rods onto the new pistons, installing the new bearings. 

ran into a bit of a snag with cylinder #1 connecting rod. Definitely something i did not see when pulling it apart 

Off to the parts bin for another connecting rod.. 
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 9:16am
Looking good.
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 7:40am
Made some great progress on the engine this weekend. After re-watching Don's rear main seal videos about 6 times to make sure, i got everything installed and working great. 

Got the crankshaft installed and torqued to spec. 

about 0.0018" to 0.002" on the 2 front mains, and 0.0025" on the rear main cap. 

Got the sleeves installed as well. I went a bit higher on the liner height ( 0.005") just for a little extra crush. 

Also got the piston rings measured up for each cylinder and installed. 

All pistons installed with non-bent connecting rods Wink

all connecting rod bearings spec'd at 0.002"

got the oil system back together - disregard the old filter, it is there for fun at this point. even was able to get the line tab installed again. 

And the cylinder head, Back from the machine shop. New valves, seats ground to match, springs, keepers, guides, intake valve umbrella seals installed (just small ones to stop excessive oil) and head cleaned. looks better than new! 

I will have the oil pump and pan on shortly, then prepped for paint and installed into the tractor. should be back in by next weekend for sure! 
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2022 at 7:49am
some more progress on the engine. 

Was able to get the water pump installed and torqued down

I also was able to get the governor housing reinstalled with the oil line. This is the housing and oil line off the engine that was removed from the tractor after we bought it. It has a governor throw limiter set screw and the oil line. the original engine cover did not have the oil line and i was unsure where the tee fitting ran. Google did not tell me too much by photos so i went with my gut and reinstalled the other one. 

I also got the oil pump resealed with a new gasket, all the gears looked great inside and very little wear. I reinstalled into the engine and torqued down the bolts as required. new mechanics wire is installed onto the mesh pickup guard. almost ready for oil pan installation. 

Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 7:24am
Last night i was able to clean up the governor housing from the 2 inches of mud that was caked onto it. getting it prepped for primer and paint soon. 

I also wanted to paint the exhaust manifold with a paint that would last. I was searching for powder coating or a ceramic coating but nothing tickled my fancy. I purchased a flame proof paint and after 2 coats, this is how it turned out. Very good! 

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 7:30am
That looks nice. Will be interesting to see how it holds up. I have used grill paint on the 7060 muffler and cured it per directions but only held up for a year and a half. Granted it sits outside. I reapplied it last year and it seems to be holding well so far. Keep us posted on that
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 6:25am
Made some more progress on the engine last night, 

cylinder head installed with grade 8 hardware with nuts. torqued to 90ft lbs as per the service manual. I did RTV around the water jacket holes and pushrod holes just because. I have always had good luck doing it that way. 

I was also able to clean up the original oil pan, remove a stripped drain plug and beat out a couple of dents. Once cleaned I placed on with locating pins to check fitment. no spring in the pan at all. it is in great shape! my cork pan gaskets are in some soup cans getting rounder for the installation tonight. made the locating pins out of some old hardware. after watching Don's video on the rear main seal, it was a no brainer that this would work well.  

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 6:32am
Now, we need to find you a D-19 carburetor to wake it up !!!
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 6:59am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Now, we need to find you a D-19 carburetor to wake it up !!!

That would be a great idea! I had the intake manifold increased roughly 3/8" on the head side and we also opened the updraft side quite a bit as well. lets start the hunt for a D19 carb! super hard to find but well worth it. 
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 5:39pm
J,
Awesome that Don is still helping folks!
 Engine is coming along nicely!
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 6:19am
Made some considerable progress over the weekend. inching closer and closer every post. 

I did a repair to the super worn throttle linkage hole on the governor spring side. 

here is a photo of the engine finished up. in its ugly form. 

I was able to get it out and primered up in preparation for dropping into the chassis again. 

I installed the pilot bearing into the flywheel and marked both timing marks. 

As well as installed all the correct clutch components. verified height of the pressure plate fingers and adjusted to 1 5/16" as per the service manual. one was perfect, the other 2 were just over 1/8" high. 

Then, Made some headway with installing the whole assembly into the chassis. for the time being (until i get some 1/2" bolts to hold the front crossmember together) it will sit on the engine stand. 

I also went to Princess Auto (Canadian harbor freight) for some steering components. I ended up with a few couplers, a 3/4" u-joint and a nice stepped down go-kart axle assembly. you will see in a couple weeks how I plan to make it all work with the electric unit. should be pretty good! 

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 8:17am
Very nice. The shelter is working great for you.
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 9:30am
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

Very nice. The shelter is working great for you.

Better than expected! It has only blown away once too! it definitely a one time use type of shelter. The tarp is pretty beat up and not good for much anymore. although I am happy with the outcome. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 11:05am
J,
 Your making great progress! With spring a month or so away you may have it ready and moving by then.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 8:39am
For everyone interested in the belt pulley engagement system. it is pretty slick! all cleaned up and reinstalled without the belt pulley. anyone recognize any stampings on here?

Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 8:44am
I also made progress last night on some other small odds and sods. 

Got the tank and air cleaner bracket mounted

as well as the steering column with hand clutch stopper and pto bracket 

Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2022 at 6:20am
Went on a bit of an adventure last night. 

I wanted to get the bolster plates remade rather than welding and machining the oblong holes back to round. i found a local that has a brand new 5x10 foot CNC plasma cutter. So.. We played with some Allis parts! 

Here it is compared to the original 

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2022 at 8:39am
J,
 Making great progress! Always nice with new parts and assembly operations!
Thanks for the update!
 Chris
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 6:18am
Some good progress this weekend. 

painted and finished the gauge cluster with new switch, key and 60A gauge

I also worked on the rocker shaft. Getting it back together. I actually found a couple broken stud stand off's. glad i caught that before going back together! I also had a bent rocker shaft. Not sure how that happened but glad i had a spare to make it work 

I got the quadrant repaired, primed and installed onto the steering wheel support. new bushing was also installed. 

Then, Onto the power steering conversion. working on uploading those photos. looks like i have hit the photo limit of our forum.. 

Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 6:24am
Here is the photos of the power steering conversion. A bit of tweaking to do yet, but making great progress. it fits well. even has room to spare on the left frame rail for the ECU. 

Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2022 at 5:59am
Made some progress last evening with the footrests. I was able to get them installed back into the original holes after a bit of sanding and priming. 

I also got the power steering shaft extended to the correct length. 

Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2022 at 11:19am
Made some progress on the steering side of things. New steering wheel, quadrant springs and repaired some throttle and steering shaft holes that were very worn. 

I also got the power steering mount started last night, something simple to hold the power steering in spot with a nice little bracket 

Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 6:42am
Some progress made on the front end this weekend. Got the CNC plasma parts prepped and fitted to the front axle beam. was able to build up the worn pieces of the axle pivots with weld and grind to a decent fit. Not the prettiest but takes the slop out of the axle. 

I also welded the original rear structural bar to the back mount. Look at that weld! 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic