This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A.S.A.E. Drawbar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parris001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A.S.A.E. Drawbar
    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 1:56pm
So I got along with my tractor the drawbar. But I don’t have the two vertical supports. 

I’m not sure if I grasp the full function of this hitch.......... but it doesn’t raise up and down with the hydraulic lift, correct?

I can make the two vertical support pieces if I had dimensions of length and material thickness. And the holes that need to be drilled in them.
Sponsored Links

den/southern illinoi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 2:17pm
Tractor model?

Own 5 720 garden tractors with associated equipment,1 620 garden tractor, 4 wheel 20
2-5015, 5020 and associated equipment and 2 electric forklifts.
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 2:39pm
Post a photo of the rear of your tractor (B?), standing back enough to show the whole area between the tires, from the seat to the ground and another of what you have for drawbar parts you are asking about. That may help some.
Ted in NE-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted in NE-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 3:13pm
The purpose of the A.S.A.E.  ( American Society of Automotive Engineers )draw-bar is to design ,to achieve the standard configuration where the implement hitch point is 14 in behind the end of the PTO shaft so the PTO drive shafts don't fall apart or jam together.  The A.S.A.E. draw-bar plates seem to be quite rare as I have only seen one at a tractor show. I think Steiners sells them but I don't know how well they sell.

I need to know how thick the steel is , can you measure yours please and post or send private message.
CA, WD, C, 3 Bs, 2 Gs, WC, I-400, 914
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 5:07pm
If you use a overrunning clutch on the pto, should that 14" be from that?
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 8:31pm
???? are you talking about the two vertical supports that go from the drawbar loop up to the seat frame area ??   All they do is support the drawbar in a horizontal position . Drawbar bolts to the final drive cases and loops back to the rear... you need something to hold it up.... originally they were like turn buckles.... but you could use a steel strap, althread, or anything...
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 8:35pm
Ted in NE-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted in NE-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 11:16pm
If you are using a override clutch, yes the hitch point should be hack 14" however the further back you go it gets ridiculous and the weight so far back could make the front of the tractor light.  I think at that point I would shorten the PTO drive shaft to the implement if needed.

The turn buckle draw bar hold ups I think came out  for use with the sickle bar mower so that you could adjust them to tighten the drive belt for the mower. 
CA, WD, C, 3 Bs, 2 Gs, WC, I-400, 914
Parris001 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parris001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 4:56am
Originally posted by den/southern illinoi den/southern illinoi wrote:

Tractor model?

It's a B
Parris001 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parris001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 4:57am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

???? are you talking about the two vertical supports that go from the drawbar loop up to the seat frame area ??   All they do is support the drawbar in a horizontal position . Drawbar bolts to the final drive cases and loops back to the rear... you need something to hold it up.... originally they were like turn buckles.... but you could use a steel strap, althread, or anything...

Yeah, I just want to get them right.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 6:08am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

The B/C and #5 movers used the turnbuckles along with different stacks of washers and the special wedge plates to tighten the drive belt. The  A.S.A.E drawbar only had bent flat metal the correct length to hold the drawbar in the proper position. I've sold the set I had along with the plat awhile ago. I believe the straps were 5/16 X 1-5/15 They were now a standard size metal, I'm sure of that. The plate itself I think was 5/8" thick. This is shown in the B/C parts book. The turnbuckles can on be found in the mower parts books. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Parris001 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parris001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 6:58am
Originally posted by chaskaduo chaskaduo wrote:

If you use a overrunning clutch on the pto, should that 14" be from that?

.............. and mine does
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 10:04am
I used 5/8" all thread nuts and washers for my drawbar supports. Just go from the furthest out drawbar holes up to the far back holes in the seat support. A slight bend on each end and you can use the nuts on the all thread to adjust . If you don't put some type of support the extra leverage from the hitch looseness the draw bar and you can break the bolts on the drawbar attachment plates. When I broke mine I tapped out to the next size larger bolt. The manure spreader really had to much wieght back there but after adding the supports I never had any problems.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 5:36pm
YEA... i think one 36 inch piece of all thread cut in half will do both sides.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic