This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A plethora of old dozers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferdinand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A plethora of old dozers
    Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 8:47am
I was driving down Highway 27 a few miles west of Carthage, NC and saw several old dozers sitting in the weeds. I stopped to talk the owner. An older fella, good ol' boy. He said he would sell the dozers. There was a Cat D7e, D6c, AC Hd16, cable dozer, two unidentified dozers, and a big Komatsu.
I was only interested in the HD16, it had 4 inch diameter trees growing around it but, the man said it would run. C frame but no blade.
In between telling me a bunch tales of adventure with the dozers, he kept trying to sell me the Komatsu. He wouldn't give a price on the AC but, kept asking how much I wanted to spend. I couldn't stay long and went on my way.

You can see a couple of them using google Earth, nearest cross reference road is Marley Road.

coordinates:

35°23'53.4"N 79°32'20.4"W

35.398170, -79.539002

Edited by Ferdinand - 25 Jul 2016 at 8:50am
Because narrow is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leads unto life, and few there be that find it.
Mathew 7:14
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 3:52pm
In the photos I can see the Komatsu(square head) and at least two cats, is the 16 visible on street view?  If is I cannot see it.
Ferdinand View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferdinand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 6:39am
No, the 16 is not visible in the street views or any aerial views that I could find. Although, it's only about 50 feet from the road. Trees have grown up around it. I'd like to have the -16 but, if you come over to NC to get it, I"ll help you retrieve it.

Because narrow is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leads unto life, and few there be that find it.
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 3:53pm
I think I see the hd16 is it sitting by cat 955 or 977 with a round top cab
Ferdinand View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferdinand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 3:03pm
Using google street view, you can see the Komatsu. to the right of that is a Cat, to the right of that, across the path, is the Cat D7e. The HD16 is in the woods to the right of that. Looking at the white pickup truck, it's just beyond the truck in those trees.

I'm not sure what the -16 is worth but, I think it would take a fair amount of money to get it from this guy. Just before I got there, two fellas from Georgia on the way to Raleigh stopped and inquired about buying the dozers. Seems if he was willing to sell at a reasonable price they would have been gone long ago.
Further East  along the highway, you can see two more dozers in the weeds.

If you go to bing.com and use their aerial view, you can see the dozers better, it's a Winter time image.

Edited by Ferdinand - 27 Jul 2016 at 3:03pm
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 6:32pm
There was a site like this along Hwy 54, up around Kingdom City Mo; a line of Allis Chalmers  dozers and scrapers that broke down working on that section of highway making it 2 lane,, it got to late to fix them so Kenny Mertens Co let them set
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 12:08am
Man, they tore up more equipment than you can imagine. Fritz Welding did a lot of axles for them. Alvin built I believe a 100 ton press to work on them. Last time I looked they still had some of that old stuff sitting around. May be gone to China by now though.
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 8:04am
Oh yea I see the front guard of the hd 16 I was looking at on the other side of the brush theres a pile of logs and a cat and looks like a 955 loader and a dozer with a round top cab in the trees right behind the loader
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 8:07am
I am fairly certain Merten's sent those machines to scrap a while back.  His company has always been about making money.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 4:24am
Yeah they cleaned up the ones along 54 quite awhile ago, they cleaned up the lot by Cooke in Fulton too, Cookes old place now a Dodge dealer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic