This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A NON Embarrassment Engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A NON Embarrassment Engine
    Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 2:51pm
I went to my daughter/sil home to cut down some trees that are in the way of their new yard barn. I took my ECHO saw that hadn't been started in 2 years and it started/ran on the SECOND pull of the rope WinkWink. I've read horror stories of a Stihl brand engine not starting within 8 months of use on AT LOLLOL !! My saw had 3/4 of a tank of fuel from 2 years ago BTW Smile 
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 2:59pm
Echo vs STIHL ?

Laughing Smiley Emoji GIF - LaughingSmiley Emoji RollingOnTheFloorLaughing GIFs
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 3:19pm
You must run POULAN ??Clap 
Now I'm thinking you got some bad DEVILED EGGS for your dinner Cry .

Edited by FREEDGUY - 04 Apr 2021 at 3:22pm
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 3:25pm
My old Homelite Dealer who's shop was just down the road from me and worked on any brand said "they all will cut wood unless the chain is on wrong"!
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 3:35pm
I don't use a chain saw very often. So I've got a 120 volt 16" Remington. It's a real nice saw to use, although it often takes a generator. 
Wish I had a small inverter generator. 
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by klinemar klinemar wrote:

My old Homelite Dealer who's shop was just down the road from me and worked on any brand said "they all will cut wood unless the chain is on wrong"!
That's very true, unless you can't get them started  LOLLOL
Hope you guys had a great Easter Wink !!
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 3:48pm
I never heard of Stihl saws being that hard to start, never have had that issue with mine.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 4:10pm
Not sure I really understand Steve’s comment, I would put both brands in the quality saw category.

However, both of my Stihls are hard starting cold blooded SOB’s.
Dorix View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dorix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 5:12pm
  I've got a Stihl I thinks it's an MS 290, I bought it over other brands only because there is a dealer near by. I like the saw but I don't think it's ever started in 2 pulls.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 10:15pm
I've got a Stihl 028 and a newer 160 (i think).  The O28 farm boss has been hard to start until the local shop put a new carb on it.  I learned to only choke it a couple pulls when cold and then it might take a half dozen pulls before it fires.  Once it's run, it starts on the first pull.  I also have a HF battery powered saw which I like to use with the pto powered chipper to trim branches so the limbs feed better.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 4:52am
My two Stihls start easier than my old Poulan or BILs Echo and only once had issue with my 290 Farm Boss, bad Carb five years ago replaced(Warranty) and not been a problem since, I do drain any residual gas in them and add fresh mix gas when go to use but not ever drained them to store.
ACFarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 7:48am
I think my echo ran about a half dozen times before it decided to never start again. Real good quality... I use a Milwaukee M18 saw now as I don't cut wood all day long. Works perfect for me.
Making A living everyday farming with and working on Allis Equipment
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 8:14am
Originally posted by ACFarmer ACFarmer wrote:

I think my echo ran about a half dozen times before it decided to never start again. Real good quality... I use a Milwaukee M18 saw now as I don't cut wood all day long. Works perfect for me.

Surprising really. I’ve only had one, actually one they built for John Deere, and it ran great forever. Only reason it got parked was the muffler burned out and got a little too warm on the hand. Parts obsolete.

I have a MS 290 and a MS 291, same saw really. Both are 8-10 pulls typically to start since new, and the 291 pulls pretty hard, never been happy about that. If they sit more than 15 minutes it’s all the way back to 8 pulls to start. Plugs, air filter, all the proper fuel techniques, been to dealer when I give up and get extra frustrated. Seems to be just the way it is.
Dorix View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dorix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 9:03am
  It sounds like Stihl has a tendency to require a number of pulls, doesn't really bother me. I think all the name brands are good, but put out the occasional lemon however.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 4:08pm
Stihl bigger saws have no primer bulb, smaller saw I have does, MS290 does take a few pulls yet the 192 hit prime, set choke lock open throttle where usually busts off first or second pull.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Dorix Dorix wrote:

It sounds like Stihl has a tendency to require a number of pulls, doesn't really bother me. I think all the name brands are good, but put out the occasional lemon however.
Unless you've had triple bypass surgery like my dad, 1 pull is too many Cry . All of his small engines are either electric start OR completely electric ( cordless is a joke IMO) except for his HUSKIE saw that has compression release, still takes him 3-4 pulls to start when cold .
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 7:17pm
I believe MCCULLOUGH made a battery start chainsaw!https://youtu.be/tNBmmw4PgG4
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 6:11pm
We had two still saw at the farm the first one always too several pulls to start would never idle and didn't put enough oil on the chain. Went back to dealer twice they never did fix it the second time it was going to be awhile till the new carb arrived bought a second one it always starter on the second pull idled and kept the chain oiled. Finally got the first one back from dealer stil a POS. New guy at the farm used to be the small engine repairman at a local shop they had sent him to the sthil factory course so they could get warranty payments. He worked on the saw for a couple hours took it apart cleaned and set every thing to correct specs. After that it started on second pull ran great and oiled like it should. A good mechanic can do wonders for your saw. My Poulan has been a 3 pull saw since new when it finally quit starting I was unhappy went to pull the plug you can't doit without pulling the saw halfway apart. I found the plug wrench still in the package with the spare plug I bought 20 years ago put the new plug in changied the brittle broken fuel line. And it starts on the third pull again. When I took the original plug out you could hold the plug base in your hand and turn the ceramic with your fingers. My compression came back and it runs great.
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Not sure I really understand Steve’s comment, I would put both brands in the quality saw category.

However, both of my Stihls are hard starting cold blooded SOB’s.

I know of several pro tree removal- trimmers and they would agree with Steve 1000 percent.  

None better then Stihl's for power and reliability, Echo, well.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 11:37am
Well at least you understood Steve!

Anyway, I don’t really care or have a strong opinion one way or other. Just browse through topics on this or other forums where people are talking about saw recommendations and it seems to me Echo usually comes out looking pretty good. Stihl, Husqvarna, then seems Echo falls in pretty quick. Maybe the older ones were better and the new ones suck? I know ours was good.

Oh well. I do wish my Stihls started a little easier.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 11:38am
Chainsaws, definitely a passionate subject. Kinda like trucking and Harley riders.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 1:43am
Almost as bad as which oil.......

Oh yeah, I have two Huskvarnas and they both start on the second pull.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 8:20am
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

Almost as bad as which oil.......

Oh yeah, I have two Huskvarnas and they both start on the second pull.
If I saw for 10 minutes, still have gas in the tank, shut off the switch, IMMEDIATELY pull the cord........I MIGHT get it started on the second pull, but probably not.  Probably 4-6 in that case.Cry
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 9:30am
Stihl, Husquvarna, Echo, Solo, Dolmar, Shindaiwa, Makita... all have 'professional-grade' saws.  I'd recommend ANY of them, unless you're cutting concrete, cast iron, or steel fabrication, then go with ICS.

A plastic crankcase identifies a 'cheap' saw.  Drop them in the cold, they crack. 

What identifies a 'professional-grade' saw?  There's differing opinions, but the acid test of a pro-grade saw:
   --If you can call a local dealer and get a new crankcase seal, or a replacement carb, fuel lines, fuel pickup tube kit, or a chain-oiler rebuild kit on a WEEKDAY, it's a professional-grade saw.  If you can get it on a WEEKEND, you have a GREAT DEALER!!!

Cracked crankcases leak, and the crankcase is a critical part of a 2-stroke's induction system... it provides the vacuum which pulls fuel-air mix in, and forces it into the cylinder.  With the universality of electronic ignition, 90% of all modern saws fail either from being run with bad fuel (saturated ethanol or improper/insufficient 2-stroke oil) or failure of crankcase seal.

NO chainsaw will start worth a hoot if the fuel system isn't kept clean.  EVERY chainsaw will start if it has a clean fuel system, good compression, and an operable starter.  A well-maintained saw ALWAYS starts well.

PROFESSIONAL_GRADE Chainsaws that don't start well, fail not because of the color of their paint, or country of origin, but because the contents of the gloves holding the saw have not been properly applied to maintaining the machine.

McCulloch was at one time, the primo saw.  Not so today... that brand, and many other once-great names have been relegated to the big-box-store shelves for under $200... have plastic crankcases, and no dealer to support them.  They're disposable.  They get bought by people who don't know, used once, and thrown away when they won't start three years later.  Big-box companies love them... why sell you one saw, when they could sell you one saw every three years?

McCulloch had an electric start saw with a battery... cool idea, but problematic THEN.  Today, it's totally possible, and would be cool for SOME saws, but still, a LIGHT saw, is a good saw.

ECHO made a TWO CYLINDER small chainsaw.  The CST-610 EVL...  The 'EViL Twin'... definitely a collector's piece for those so inclined...  John Deere sourced MANY of theirs through Echo, and they sold the EVL as the '66SV'.  if you have one, hang onto it.

Chainsaw carbeurators all pretty much have the same design lineage.  The carb doesn't use a float bowl, it uses a diaphragm and spring.  It has a similar diaphragm and spring that receives impulse pressure from either the crankcase, or the exhaust port, to pump fuel from the tank to the carb.  There's a very fine-mesh screen on the fuel inlet into the carb.  If all this is clean, they WILL pump fuel, but expect to pull the cord a half-dozen to dozen times to get fuel from the tank into the carb.  If you expect it to start on first pull, it is because you're expecting fuel to be stagnant inside the carb, which is NOT a good thing.

Use good FRESH gasoline, good oil, keep it clean.  Empty it out when done.  Clean the saw up thorougly when done using.  Give it a complete refresh of fuel and oil lines, pickups, and a carb kit every two-three seasons, and keep the chains sharp.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 9:57am
I have an allis Chalmers (re-badged poulan) from the early 70s that still starts and runs. My grandpa bought it brand new. Guess that you could say it's been in the family for a few years. My main chain saw is a still. I like it! Darrel
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 10:49am
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

Stihl, Husquvarna, Echo, Solo, Dolmar, Shindaiwa, Makita... all have 'professional-grade' saws.  I'd recommend ANY of them, unless you're cutting concrete, cast iron, or steel fabrication, then go with ICS.

A plastic crankcase identifies a 'cheap' saw.  Drop them in the cold, they crack. 

What identifies a 'professional-grade' saw?  There's differing opinions, but the acid test of a pro-grade saw:
   --If you can call a local dealer and get a new crankcase seal, or a replacement carb, fuel lines, fuel pickup tube kit, or a chain-oiler rebuild kit on a WEEKDAY, it's a professional-grade saw.  If you can get it on a WEEKEND, you have a GREAT DEALER!!!

Cracked crankcases leak, and the crankcase is a critical part of a 2-stroke's induction system... it provides the vacuum which pulls fuel-air mix in, and forces it into the cylinder.  With the universality of electronic ignition, 90% of all modern saws fail either from being run with bad fuel (saturated ethanol or improper/insufficient 2-stroke oil) or failure of crankcase seal.

NO chainsaw will start worth a hoot if the fuel system isn't kept clean.  EVERY chainsaw will start if it has a clean fuel system, good compression, and an operable starter.  A well-maintained saw ALWAYS starts well.

PROFESSIONAL_GRADE Chainsaws that don't start well, fail not because of the color of their paint, or country of origin, but because the contents of the gloves holding the saw have not been properly applied to maintaining the machine.

McCulloch was at one time, the primo saw.  Not so today... that brand, and many other once-great names have been relegated to the big-box-store shelves for under $200... have plastic crankcases, and no dealer to support them.  They're disposable.  They get bought by people who don't know, used once, and thrown away when they won't start three years later.  Big-box companies love them... why sell you one saw, when they could sell you one saw every three years?

McCulloch had an electric start saw with a battery... cool idea, but problematic THEN.  Today, it's totally possible, and would be cool for SOME saws, but still, a LIGHT saw, is a good saw.

ECHO made a TWO CYLINDER small chainsaw.  The CST-610 EVL...  The 'EViL Twin'... definitely a collector's piece for those so inclined...  John Deere sourced MANY of theirs through Echo, and they sold the EVL as the '66SV'.  if you have one, hang onto it.

Chainsaw carbeurators all pretty much have the same design lineage.  The carb doesn't use a float bowl, it uses a diaphragm and spring.  It has a similar diaphragm and spring that receives impulse pressure from either the crankcase, or the exhaust port, to pump fuel from the tank to the carb.  There's a very fine-mesh screen on the fuel inlet into the carb.  If all this is clean, they WILL pump fuel, but expect to pull the cord a half-dozen to dozen times to get fuel from the tank into the carb.  If you expect it to start on first pull, it is because you're expecting fuel to be stagnant inside the carb, which is NOT a good thing.

Use good FRESH gasoline, good oil, keep it clean.  Empty it out when done.  Clean the saw up thorougly when done using.  Give it a complete refresh of fuel and oil lines, pickups, and a carb kit every two-three seasons, and keep the chains sharp.
Yep, heard it, read it, learned it, lived it......And when I'm frustrated enough with the starting, it goes to the dealer, get "professionally serviced", carb cleaned, carb adjusted, tuned, plugs, air filter, blah blah blah blah blah, and it starts in 8-10 pulls, just like when it was BRAND NEW, brought it home, put new nonE gas, right out of the pump mixed with Stihl synthetic 2 stroke oil.

But if you say so.LOL
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 12:43pm
not to argue, but there is a REASON in has to be pulled 10 times.. 10 is not a magic number.  When a motor will not start it either has no fuel or it has too much and is flooded.. Something is happening during the first 9 pulls .  Either the carb is being primed, or if you open the choke after 4-5 pulls, it is cleaning out the flooding.. Not saying this is abnormal or easily fixed... Just that SOMETHING is happening on the first 9 pulls.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 1:39pm
I figure it doesn't have enough fuel, because I turn the choke on before I even try, it will eventually fire finally (hey, maybe 8 if you get lucky).  Go to the 1/2 choke setting, will run the next pull, but don't be in any hurry to go to normal.

I sort of always thought it had to do with emissions, they got stuff so leaned out it will hardly run.  There is virtually 0 smoke running the saw.  

But apparently, it must be the thing with the saw.....Because whether it's my "gloves" that maintain it, or either of the 2 mechanics at the dealer, that's the best it ever gets.

Edited by Tbone95 - 14 Apr 2021 at 1:39pm
ORBill View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ORBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 3:48pm
Tbone
My Sthil started that way from new until I figured out how to start it . 1-2 pulls full choke, then 1//2 choke and it always starts next pull, or max of 2 pulls. Pretty sure I was flooding it, in my case it was the "gloves" operating it that needed educated. 

Bill
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 5:43pm
I have an el cheapo post hole digger with a Chineese 2 stroke engine.. About $200. ... the catch is it has a plastic BULB on the fuel line that you pump 4-5 times to pressurize the carburetor. You can feel when it gets hard...it is full.... After setting 6 months in the garage, it will start on 1-2 pulls             ......  Not getting fuel is a BIG problem with a lot of small 2 strokes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic