This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

a few engine pictures....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Steve M C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a few engine pictures....
    Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 10:55pm
I'm patiently waiting for more "neat" stuff.
Sponsored Links

wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 10:19pm
bring this back to the top, a few fellas have been asking some questions.

I'll have a setup on a E block done soon so I'll get some pictures up.  Also some neat ones of some cylinder heads.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by wi50 wi50 wrote:

The Stromberg is 2.43" throttle plate, and a 2.060" venturi.

I am makeing a set of main caps for a Gleaner E block, if anyone wants a steel center main cap, I'll have an extra.  It would be cut to width to hold the thrust berring and the bolt holes, dowl pins will be cut in it.  You would have to trim the outer profile to whatever you wish and have your block line bored.  To make the main caps, I have to bore them, it's easier to bore 4 parts than 3, that's where the extra one comes in. 
. centering them up gets tedious . I have always liked big carburetors on the 226 engine personally

Edited by mlpankey - 30 Dec 2010 at 10:21pm
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 3:57pm

The Stromberg is 2.43" throttle plate, and a 2.060" venturi.

I am makeing a set of main caps for a Gleaner E block, if anyone wants a steel center main cap, I'll have an extra.  It would be cut to width to hold the thrust berring and the bolt holes, dowl pins will be cut in it.  You would have to trim the outer profile to whatever you wish and have your block line bored.  To make the main caps, I have to bore them, it's easier to bore 4 parts than 3, that's where the extra one comes in. 
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 9:43am
I ran a different carb for a while, an aviation Stromberg NAR-6-B.  The engine would stumble a bit at low speed and it came off the line to hard, no matter how hard I turned it, it would stumble for a bit, when it turned on though it was stronger than with the Zenith. The Zenith is much more "driver friendly".  It's got a custom made venturi and is of a little different design than the Stromberg, I should have made a venturi for the stromberg and worked with it a bit more, may be the best match.  I'll measure both later on when I get back to the shop and post it.

When I get a major project out of the shop and have more time to dedicate to it, I'll put the engine togather and take pictures in progress, hopefully in a month or so.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 7:34am
Pretty slick setup there for sure. Reminds me of years back when Dick L. posted a neat pile of pics on tying the little B/C blocks together due to cracked block decks. This is quite a bit more exotic obviously. The carburetor comparison is pretty funny. The reworked Zenith looks like a toilet bowl compared to its little cousin. Should say American Standard on it.....  lol!  Great pics! Keep em' comin'.
Steve@B&B
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 7:02am
Keep us posted, this is very interesting!
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 9:45pm
the center main is cracked, it's tied above it, you can see the tie bars.  The block is also tied between the sleves, you can see the bolts on one side and the lumps on the other.  The lumps are just epoxy over the bolts, I don't know why other than to give someone something to worry about.  With the main berring assembly, it really can't go anywhere.

You push any kind of power from a good block and it's going to crack anyway, why not just give up and use a junk one.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 9:30pm
Looks real good. I can see alot of time and work
 Just finished a overdrive gearbox for the front of my 190xt pulling tractor trans. These projects take alot of time.     MACK
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 8:38pm
yeah outside the box is cool . in the picture is that a casting form line or a crack forming in the upper bearing half member running up in the center from the sleeve?  I suspect crack doesnt look lie it runs straight the cross bar support is in the way.

Edited by mlpankey - 29 Dec 2010 at 8:40pm
Steve M C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 8:16pm
I'd say yer doin ok for a dumb farm boy.This "outside the box" stuff is pretty cool.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 3:48pm
Thank You for posting the pictures.

This is what a dumb farm kid does during the winter, I built it a couple years aoge I think 2003, ran it for a few years and it's sat now for a couple years.  Life got busy and time to run and work on the pulling tractor had to be set aside to concentrate on building a business, gathering acres and expanding the farm.  Now I've got good help, I've got some time and an itch to get it frreshened up.   My machines I use are all CNC, crank"n crank.  Nothing fancy but if you think about something for a bit, it turns out that it's not hard to make.  Nothing is impossiable but some things to take some time.

I was takeing my block up to get the deck trued up and get power honed so I thought I'd take a couple pictures.  When I get a few projects finished up and go to assemble the engine, I'll take some more pictures and post of the other items and how it all fits.

It's just a mock up assembly but the main caps are cross bolted to the rails.  I made a billet timing cover, as the front main cap seals to the cover and a flat oil pan.  I run an oil pump at 1/2 crank speed bolted to the front main and driven from a cam gear that I machined.  The oil is then ported through the block with a bulkhead and to a filter/regulater base, back to the pan for return and to the original relief plug hole to pressure feed the engine.  I've got another set of lines pressure feeding the bottom of the main caps.

There is tie bars by the center main to pinch the block togather there as well as tie bars between the sleves.  The sleves are welded top and bottom to keep the top deck on.  We offset bored the block to the manifold side quite a bit.

I turned the crank snout for a fluid dampner from a chevy.  I made a billet steel flywheel, floater plate and run a twin disc clutch.  The crank is nothing special, just an offset ground old Leroi crank.  It's short and stout, stroke isn't much of a concern.

The carb is pictured next to a stock Gleaner E carb.  It's off a large Cont. 6 cyl engine and bored, thinned shafts, home made throttle plate at 2.25", etc. 

The manifold is built to a length I tuned to the engine, equill length runners put into a palrallel merge collector in rotational fireing order.  The tubes are a little over 40", the exhaust pipe is much smaller than one would think.   

Thi ignition is a GM HEI cut down to fit in the original distributer hole and swap the gear.

The head is a butcher job, it's a 3" head and holds some water.  Home made roller rockers, L shaped brackets on the end of the shaft going under an end head bolt.  Otherwise the shaft would bend to often.  Stud girdle and a home made tall valve cover.

We don't have any rules anymore, so a deck plate is just fine if needed.  The rules we did have were a OEM block and head, meaning no D17 stuff in a WC which is why I had to use the 201 parts.  BUt it kept the other colors in line also.  I got a lot of static with the old engine which ended up in a bucket one night, so I had to keep this one 100% legit parts.  Some boys do not like their big cube high $$$$$ engines beat.   Rule 2 was a single barrel updraft carb.  Those rules are gone now and I've been working on another engine on a late D17 block with a verry similar main berring assembly, a completly different head and cam.

I've got the neighbor working on getting some videos up, hopefully soon.  Trying to get a minute or two one made of a few runs, some 270-280  foot runs in the 14-18 second range and some 330 foot runs in the 24 sec range

Edited by wi50 - 29 Dec 2010 at 4:30pm
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 2:25pm
definately a beefed up bottom main bearing support . Most of the main  troubles come from the upper bearing half I have been trying to talk to mack about this but havent been able to get hooked up in conversation yet..  Are you planning on running a jessel or t&d external oil pump cause the factory pump is blocked .  should have put both bearings in the beefed bottom end supports then you would have a taller deck for more stroke or rod length. I like felow people who are always thinking.,

Edited by mlpankey - 29 Dec 2010 at 2:37pm
Warren(Oh) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warren(Oh) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 2:15pm
I was yackin' on the phone and hadn't checked yet. Now they need some explaination !
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 2:07pm
here ya go

Edited by JoeM(GA) - 29 Dec 2010 at 2:07pm
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 1:59pm
I sent them to 2 gentlemen.  Hopefully they can get them posted.

My wife and I just had our first baby on Oct 24th.  I told here to pick out whatever digital camera and recorder she wanted for Christmas to replace her camera.  Hopefully when she gets it she can post pictures and video for me. 

Thank's
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 1:37pm
Use the full reply editor, click on the tree picture icon to insert pictures. Its nice if they are under 800 x 600 pixels.

Gerald J.
Warren(Oh) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warren(Oh) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 1:36pm
PM sent.

Edited by Warren(Oh) - 29 Dec 2010 at 1:40pm
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 1:25pm

The pictures are of an engine block for an old 201 gas engine, I did a little work on and would like to share some pictures

wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 12:41pm

I'd like to post a couple pictures here, but it's useless for me to try, could someone PM me an emaill adress and I'll email the pictures in a bit to post them for me.

One of these days I'll figure out how to do it, but the computer an I must come to an understanding first.

Thank You

Edited by wi50 - 29 Dec 2010 at 3:49pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic