This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

97 f250 starting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobkyllo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 97 f250 starting
    Posted: 16 Aug 2024 at 8:19pm
I've been picking away at a 97 f250 5.8l pickup off and on fit the last 2 weeks. Customer did it won't start when it's wet out.

Did some digging found the injector fuse blown, battery dead and the stater solenoid bad.

I fixed the fuse and the battery but napa had no solenoid so impatient me jumped it and of course it started.

Well remove the distributor cap thinking maybe it has a Crack in it. Terminals looked ugly so it got a new cap. By now the solenoid is in so I put that in also.

We have this licked.... so I thought. Nice warm low humidity day, hit the key and nothing just cranks. So I give it a sniff of either and still no fire. Get pulled away to help other customers I'll come back to it in the morn. Next morning I thought for kicks and bangs let's try it again. Now mind you the humidity is stupid high and it rained over night. You can't get more of a damp situation. It fired right up.

I tried it later in the day and it started. I tried it yesterday and it started. Now I'm sure you guys are thinking hey it started it's fixed. Well I'm extremely skeptical of it. Any of you had something similar. Any ideas of what to look at. I'm certain it's got to be with the spark circuit.
Sponsored Links

Wispitfiremike View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wispitfiremike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2024 at 6:08am
My 2 cents worth would want to know why the fuse blew. Seems like an odd thing that does not happen often. Could damp cause a short in that system that finally blew the fuse? Was the first start the ether attempt? It may have needed even the early electronics on this to reset after fuse was replaced? Worst part is now because of that no start I would be leary of calling it fixed too. May have to use it until it does something again though to pinpoint. Rest just sounds like maintenance stuff.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2024 at 7:25am
Start looking for Rat Chew Marks, Mice, on harness.

Then replace the Distributor with a reman, the old 5.8 series were bad for corroding where has to make grounds, internally and against the block, not going to fix it in the truck.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2024 at 7:39pm
We had one like that. No one could figure it out. We kept it inside our tire shop, we finally got tired of it, we had already put a motor and transmission in it, motor at 46000 miles and tranny shortly after that. It was our on the farm tire service truck, oil was changed every 1500 miles. The Ford guys could not figure it out. We sent it to our local scrap yard, calcium had gotten to the box.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic