This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

918 Backhoe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 190XTJR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 918 Backhoe
    Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 7:51pm
Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody could give the pro's and con's of a 918 backhoe. There is one coming up on an estate auction close to me in the beginning of April and we kind of been looking for a backhoe for the farm. What are they worth and did they have any weak spots? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by 190XTJR - 06 Mar 2011 at 7:52pm
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 8:04pm
They are big and take room to manuver , they have a 1 1/2 yard bucket, hoe will dig to 18 ft. they do have a weak spot in jumping out of gear in trany like a lot of older machines. Will be a little hard finding parts if needed as not a lot of them out there . Otherwise for a personal machine shoul do everything one needs to do aroun their own place.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Sherman Farms View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherman Farms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 9:57pm
We never had any trouble with comming out of gear or anything. We have a 24 inch wide digging bucket , that if stressed enough well cause trouble where the pin goes through the boom. Ours had a hairline crackthere and whenmy brother tried to dig out a silo footer it failed.  This was an extreme case though. We paid 6000 for ours.
B, C, RC, 3 wc,2 wd,3 wd45, d15, d17, d19, d21, 190, 440, 7040, 918 backhoe, 12 roto balers, 7 60 combines, 40, 66,2 72,90 super, sp100, Gleaner E, F3, 3 L2, R62, and much more
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 11:29pm
all the 918 machines i rand had 36" or 38" buckets on them , My 715B has a 34" and with side cutters digs a 36" trench. 24" seems way small for the machine.
 The 615 quick-attach hoe I have is a 24" bucket.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
PeteMN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeteMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 4:41pm
Like a lot of backhoes that size and age, those machines are a little clumsy and very heavy.  I think my brothers paid $6500 for one about 15 years ago.  It had the 36" bucket on it so it wasn't real handy for digging close to anything.  The loader could lift around 10000#s if I remember right.  Not very easy to haul anywhere due to the weight, they are very heavy.   They work very good for pulling out tractors that get stuck.  Smaller hoes are more useful around the farm. 
TomMN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 8:25pm
Did someone on here buy that 918 backhoe on the auction by Brooten MN today?  I took it to $7,000, which I had decided was my limit.  It went for $7,100, who knows if one more bid would have bought it, it could just have easily taken 10 more bids.  It looked pretty nice for being 36 years old, the serial number said it was a 1975.
190XTJR View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 190XTJR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 1:09pm

Hey Tom, the guy that bought the backhoe lived down the road a couple miles, he farms a couple thousand acres and knowing him he would have kept bidding. I was there and thought the other stuff was kinda rough what did you think?

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 1:54pm
That was the price I looked at one for back 20 years ago. So seems to have held it's value. Still a big machine that is great for large jobs but ? Another one I looked at about same time that was rough, open station, and needed all the bushings replaced in loader and hoe as well as trany work sold for $5,000 back then.
TomMN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 3:37pm
There were a couple really nice MF drills that looked to be in really nice shape.  I didn't look too hard at the White or Oliver tractors.  We have a bunch of stumps at our farm and a lot of stuff that needs clearing so the backhoe and loader would have been great for that, I can't justify lots of money for it though.  They didn't build many 918's so it would have been fun to had it, although its weight would keep me from bringing it to a show.
ac45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 3:50pm
Heavy is not really good in a backhoe, you will get stuck a lot with a machine like that fo r farm use, plus you will tear up a lot. I had a 410C JD and you would rut a dry yard up in august just due to the weight of the machine compacting the ground when driving. Hard to beat a 580 C or newer case for parts and reliablity and service/ working on
PeteMN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeteMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 11:16am
While I agree that it will rut things up compared to a lighter machine, its not any more likely to get stuck since you just pull/push yourself out same as with other backhoes.   For general farm use you can't beat the 580 Case, wish I had one, but having friends that do own one works for me.  We do have a 918, but it is sitting til we get time to overhaul the motor, maybe this summer.....
TomMN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 5:28pm
Is the motor in the 918 the same as the 190 tractor?
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 8:41pm
The 918 has the 2800 series engine which is the same as a one ninety (non turbo).
The tractor is based on the one ninety.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Dave A View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 8:57pm
tom if you don't mind a JD 350 crawler.a while back ran across one for $7500 with good rails buckets and bach hoe can write the guy and see if he still has it  located in   northern  wiscosin looking at a 1984 case 580 right now in good shape for 7500. Might part with 816 for around $5K if I can make a deal on the Case. Will talk to the Case guy next week
Play the game for more than you can afford to lose... only then will you learn the game.
Winston Churchill
AllisChalmers37 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Dave A Dave A wrote:

tom if you don't mind a JD 350 crawler.a while back ran across one for $7500 with good rails buckets and bach hoe can write the guy and see if he still has it  located in   northern  wiscosin looking at a 1984 case 580 right now in good shape for 7500. Might part with 816 for around $5K if I can make a deal on the Case. Will talk to the Case guy next week

We have a JD-350C and just a little heads up here. You do not want a 350 or 350B because they do not have the 6 way blade (trust me it's NICE and you WILL come up with a reason for it). Now as far as power and performance I would put our little 350C up against anything (ya know, no D11's). In fact our little Deere pulled a heavy log chain in two (actually pulled the link in 2) at IDLE.

Edited by AllisChalmers37 - 10 Apr 2011 at 9:32pm
1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500
TomMN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 10:07pm
I'm not so seriously in need of a backhoe that I would go as far as buy a JD, I would consider a Case I suppose. :-)
don-ohio View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote don-ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 6:33pm
My 918 is a great tractor/loader/backhoe and VERY strong digger.I am fortunate enough to have bought the city of Pittsburgh's 918 back in 1993 and have enjoyed it ever since.
   ONE CAUTION,though, is that you must NOT use regular antifreeze with one.It has silicone rings on the wet-liners and you must buy a low silicate antifreeze such as PEAK'S
 FLEET CHARGE to keep from eating at them and keep cavitation to a minimum.
   They are great on fuel and if you have one,get the optional size rims and tires for great traction and buoyancy,since the machine weighs nearly ten tons.
     don-ohio  (:^)
don-ohio View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote don-ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 6:42pm
I took the liberty of postig a pic from above on another tractor forum.THANKS! don-ohio (:^)
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 6:48pm
Kind of wish now I would have bought one of the ones I looked at but the 715B I have is a good machine also . Just the bigger machine would have bee nice to have also.
 All the deals one passes up over the years end up sometimes being the should have - could have - would have . Same now I wonder if I should have kept the HD4 but again then getting rid of it seemed to be a good idea as it was replaced with the NH 785 skid-steer. 
don-ohio View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote don-ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 8:37pm
Well,Coke,the reason I bought mine was I had a lot of dirt moving and grading to do and I couldn't afford BOTH a dozer and a backhoe,so I opted for one big enough to do grading work also.It won't fully replace a dozer of course. These machines are NOT agile in the least.You have to have room to work with them.
   In 1969,when mine was born,LOL!, the city of Pittsburgh paid 19,995 dollars for it.Put THAT in today's money and you have way over 100,000 dollars in the machine.
  Mine FORTUNATELY came with a special trenching bucket 5' tall and only 18" wide,so my machine is pretty versatile.  don-ohio (:^)
don-ohio View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote don-ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 9:40pm
  Like Calvin said above it's based on the 190,BUT the frame on the 918 is probably half again heavier. The machine is built like a tank. don-ohio (:^)

Edited by don-ohio - 25 Jan 2013 at 9:41pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 11:13pm
I ran 3 different machines over the years and will say they had the power to do just about anything . 
 Yes they work just about like a dozer. I was clearing some areas on a farm near here that had been used as a dumping grounds , I had the HD4 and my 715B there and youngest kid started helping me push junk - him on the 715 - it would outpush the HD4 with no problem . 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic