This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8070 shifting problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLynch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8070 shifting problem
    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 9:57am
Have a 8070 with power shift, it is hard shifting from park to High or Low, and then hard to shift back to Park.
Have to let the tractor roll a little to shift to park,  only 4100 hrs on this tractor, very well maintained. I have tried a few things, like higher RPMs, clutch inching, clutch braking, shift to 1st gear inching ahead, inching in reverse, best that I can come up with is to roll till the shifter moves to neutral position.
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 10:21am
New shifting cables will reduce the effort required. The Power Shift trans has a "creep" tendency with cold oil. Shifting into reverse (standing still) and applying pressure to the shift lever while lightly feathering the clutch pedal usually allows it to shift into neutral easier. Technique. Have you ever tried to get a 4430 John Deere out of park when on a hill with a load of corn behind it ??  There is technique to that as well.
JLynch View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLynch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 10:28am
Can I adjust the shift cable at all ?
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 10:28am
I had similar issue with 8030, I used the reverse trick and it help me for years.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 10:44am
You can kind of prove it to yourself by doing this: holding the brakes and it doesn't want to come out of gear....just shut the engine off.....wait a few seconds.....shift it out of gear. If that works, it is drag of the cold transmission oil. LOW range will be worse than HIGH range. No adjustment of the range shifting cables will cure that. NEW cables will improve it because a new cable is always easier to move than a 40 yr old one.

Edited by DrAllis - 19 Apr 2021 at 10:46am
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 11:01am
  I seen one that had dirt and corn cobs packed fully around the boot and shifter, didnt help.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
JLynch View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLynch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 7:17pm
How big of a job is it to replace the cables ?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 7:45pm
Back in 1982-86 I could change one out in a couple of hours. The main cable (large) is the one to change. DID YOU TRY SHUTTING THE ENGINE OFF?? OR USING REVERSE ??
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 7:59pm
has anyone successfully oiled them before 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 8:38pm
NO. They have a plastic liner inside that is worn out !! The new replacement cable is much lower drag than any old cable. Until one actually makes the swap, they will never believe it.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 8:42pm
ok was just wondering 
JLynch View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLynch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 3:49pm
Tried every think that you said to do, and had no good results, now I have ordered new cables, hope they are easy to replace, do you know of a you tube video to watch ?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic