This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8070 fwa spindle nut socket

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote screwylouie010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8070 fwa spindle nut socket
    Posted: 27 Dec 2023 at 3:55pm
Hey. I’ve searched and searched with no luck. Can anyone tell me the size socket I need for the front spindle nuts on a fwa 8070? It’s 6 pin/slot, approx 3.25”. Closest I’ve found is for ford/Chevy pick up trucks but is only 2 5/8”. Hammer and chisel is not working. I would rather buy a socket than make 1. Anyone have a part number for the correct socket? Thanks
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2023 at 4:56pm
Allis never had a "socket". They had a spanner wrench specially made just for that nut that accepted a 3/4" drive socket extension.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2023 at 5:22pm
Go to truck shop. They will gear you up with a socket. We use them all the time for rear bearings. Lot of them are between 4-5 inches. 6 or 8 point.
Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2023 at 7:21pm
I had a really nice homemade one for sale. I don't know if I still have it. It'll be a couple of days before I can look.
MikeKroupa View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeKroupa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 12:30pm
Doc is correct, spanner wrench for spindle nut. I have one but not for sale.
screwylouie010 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote screwylouie010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 3:27pm
I made what I imagine doc is describing, today. I made it out of 1/4” plate steel. I made 1/2” extension fit pretty snug in it. The extension started to back out of it then spun. Also started to round off my notch that fits into the nut. I have a 1/2” breaker bar on it. No movement from the nut. I make try to make a full socket
I M Fedup View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I M Fedup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 4:22pm
I made a socket for certain New Holland front hubs that use a similar design on the nut. Just a short piece of pipe the right diameter (from the scrap pile) 2" pieces of 3/8" key stock placed around it and held with hose clamps. Once I got all the pieces positioned right I welded them to the pipe.  I slipped an old 3/4 drive socket into the pipe on the other end and welded it up. I've used it many times and it's never failed me. 
Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 7:22pm
Those nuts are usually loctited. You have to heat the nut to get them loose.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Lynn Marshall Lynn Marshall wrote:

Those nuts are usually loctited. You have to heat the nut to get them loose.
That seems like important information. Could make all the difference!
lentsch View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lentsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 9:21pm
I have a socket in my tool box that I modified to work. I will get a picture or part number tomorrow.
WD,D15,190XT,7000,8010x2,7060,8070
screwylouie010 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote screwylouie010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2023 at 5:00pm
Thank you everyone. I haven’t had time to mess with it anymore
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic