This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8050 range trans stuck in low

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dry creek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8050 range trans stuck in low
    Posted: 23 May 2023 at 8:00pm
Neighbor was pulling v-spreader with my 8050,said he pushed in clutch pedal and range transmission got stuck in low, handle is at Midway position between Hi-Lo,pulled cab floor ,all cables are attached,tight ,shifter stub will move side to side but not for or aft,any thoughts
Sponsored Links

Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 10:35pm
Sounds to me like your cable in the console has come loose from its holder. We had the same thing happen in an 8070 power shift. The cable was held in with a zip tie. It just got old and brittle and broke. It was easy to fix.

Edited by Unit3 - 23 May 2023 at 10:37pm
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
Dry creek View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dry creek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 5:43am
Cables ties are intact,short shifter under floor is tight,gonna put pipe on today to try move it
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 6:03am
If the short shift lever under the cab floor can move side to side (the neutral position) AND the tractor will drive/move in what seems to be low range, I'm afraid there has been a seizure of the low range gear to the pinion shaft. This is how I'm interputing your description of what's going on.
Dry creek View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dry creek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 7:11am
Thank you for your reply dr allis that is what it's doing.i run 5 -8000s first time I've had this happen.will send out to local mechanic for repairs,any tips for them as they work on all colors,I do have factory service manual I send along
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 7:18am
This is a big deal. That seized gear will have to be torched off of the pinion shaft and hard gears don't really cut well at all. It will require a different ring and pinion and any gears that get damaged from the torch work.
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 7:39am
That does not sound pleasant. Let us know how the rebuild goes.
Leon B
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
Dry creek View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dry creek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 7:56am
Countryside repowered it with a Cummins 2yrs ago so it's worth fixing,I have a 7030 here with no engine if any those rear end parts could be used??it had hyd and gear jumper issues.just trying to see what options I have
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 8:08am
8050 ring and pinion and seized gear should be the same as 7045/7060/7080, but I'd want to do some part number checking to be sure. 7030 ring and pinion not the same I know.
Dry creek View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dry creek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 8:17am
Thank you again for info,will let everyone know what happens,by the way ,I put the426 from the 7030 in my 8010 feed mixer tractor that had spun bearing and cracked head couples yrs ago,it was a winter project I could do myself,still going strong 5 hrs a day every day
Dkienzle View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dkienzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 8:29pm
I'm no help with the repair, but since it has a Cummins repower in it, have it dynoed so see what it puts out. If it's over 200hp your going to continue to have problems. I've been down this road with a 7080.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 8:41pm
Seizure of a range transmission gear doesn't really relate to the engines HP. It is the seizure of a free spinning gear on the pinion shaft. The gear that seized isn't even being used. For some reason, there was a lack of lubrication problem somehow. The Cummins 8.3 transplant would probably be more likely to cause main transmission problems on the input shafts when equipped with a Power Director transmission. If you always ran 5th gear LOW button the main tranny could only fail if it twisted off the input shaft, which I suppose it could, given enough torque going thru it.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 8:52pm
Most likely cause for seizure is dirty oil or has set for years then taken down the road in HI range.                       MACK
Dry creek View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dry creek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 4:58am
For the record hp is set at 190,all my 8000s get regular oil/ filter changes,I use quality oils,not bargain brands,all 5 are used most of the yr on 400 ac dairy farm,I don't pull a chopper any more but this one does spreader/tanker duty,some tillage work and pto for agbagging,hmsc hammermilling,I welcome the comments as this is how we all learn something new and keep our orange heritage alive
Dry creek View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dry creek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 5:18am
I should also state that all 5 were bought used,3 from the Midwest 2 locally here in PA,so don't know how they mite have been abused or neglected B4 I owned them.the last new tractor was a 6080 dad bought in1982 to replace a 175D ,along with a d-17 IV and a d-15ll they did all the fieldwork till I started buying bigger tractors as our farm grew in size
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 5:59am
Is the tractor with the possible seized gear a 2WD or FWA model ??
Kevin in WA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin in WA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 11:20pm
I'm pretty sure a FWA pinion is different than 2wd, if it is indeed seized.
Dry creek View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dry creek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 7:48am
4wd
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 11:04am
I agree with the good Dr. - and it is a BIG JOB - might suggest Heitman tractor or google 'dismantled 8050 Allis'  and get an entire rear end assy.  I would say one is looking at 60-80 hours labor plus used parts anyway. Has to be FWA of course for all doner parts. 
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
Dry creek View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dry creek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2023 at 5:37pm
Update: just pickedup 8050 from local repair shop, apparently short shifter under seat was wore enough to jump out of the shift gate,also the cylindrical pin that is in the shift rail slots was wore on both ends allowing too much slop.
So they replaced cylindrical pin,did machine work on all worn surfaces,and reassembled.
Tractor is back in service.
Thanks to all who responded,I really value your knowledge of ac tractors.
Total repair bill $1123
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2023 at 8:25pm
Wow that is a win win situation. Sounds like you have an excellent mechanic there. Thanks for updating us. Big help to all those who are still running this older equipment. SmileSmile
Dry creek View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dry creek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2023 at 9:08pm
I will give credit to Matthew and his crew at Stauffer Repair, they have been repairing tractors in a converted machine shed for 40+ years,they work on all colors not afraid to tackle any job, anything from log skidders,payloaders,riding mowers,rtvs etc. Usually 25-35 tractors waiting to be repaired.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic