This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8050 fwa trouble shooting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rieg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8050 fwa trouble shooting
    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 1:28pm
We bought this tractor to save it from going to salvage, noticed in the pics that half of the right fwa universal was missing. My question is how do I check if the internals are ok. Pulled the outer hub off to look at its guts and all looks to be intact. The seals are shot on both sides of the universal and the bearing on the long axle is shot but the splines look good internal and on the axles but that's about all I can tell without going deeper. If I put the axle into the female spline differential end and turn it what should I expect? What should happen? Could I just be looking at seals, bearings and a universal or is that unlikely? We have two other allis fwa tractors but have never had any reason to work on them. Any suggestions would be great.
rieg
Sponsored Links

Ron(AB) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron(AB) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 6:34pm
Show some pics...

You're going to have to take it apart to know for sure.
rieg View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rieg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 6:00am
I put the long axle back in and can rotate it both directions without much resistance. I hear the same rhythmic ratcheting sound sound both ways. Tractor still has one wheel on the floor. Any thoughts on that? 
rieg
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 7:05am
There was a "limited slip" differential option that (I believe) had a ratcheting locker device to pull but allows coasting on one side or the other to be able to turn.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 7:10am
It was made like Eaton Lockers in semis I think. Would allow outer wheel to coast ahead of pull in a turn.
rieg View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rieg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 9:24am
Great! So this sounds normal?
!
rieg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic