This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8000 series FWA overkill?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BKarpel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 1:29pm
I don't see a problem with a FWA for your operation. If you work a full time job you want something to cover acres. We are having shorter windows. The 8000 series are 40 years old going to have wear and tear. You can really till a difference with FWA turned off, it feels dead. A 8050 or 8070 will pull a 9 shank chiesel, 22 finshish tool,11 shank tool bar. Neighbor pulls a kinze 12 with interplant with a 8050. We use to pull a 8 row planter and 15 foot Great Plains no till drill with a 7000. Alot of us have bigger tractors and more than we need.
Sponsored Links

DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 4:36pm
I think a 8030 or 8050 2whl drive with duals would be a great tractor for pulling a 12 row planter. I do agree with some of the other comments about worn out and expensive fwd and I do't think it is neccesary for what you are doing. As some suggested looking at other brands for fwd, you would have to look at JD 50 series,  CIH magnums, Whites and Fords to find a tractor in that size with fwd and it would be hard to find the first 2 in your price range maybe the second 2.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by victoryallis victoryallis wrote:

Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Just curious, what are the conditions that "might" require FWD ? An XT or a 200 "might" be something to look into unless a cab is a priority ? Again, just curious Wink.

Comparing the 100 series to the 8000 series for operator comfort is comparing a Chevette to a Cadillac they are both GM’s but that’s it. Spend some 16 hour days in a tractor and it makes a difference.
For 85 acres worth of seat time ??? WTH TOMCAT ??? Pad your A%% in your BTO JD 4x4 Wink 
You've posted too many times between 2 forums to run 16 hour days in/on a tractor ClapClap

When the 8030 showed up we covered just north of 300 acres a year now shy of 1200. The OP seems motivated he might very well grow into it.  I have a neighbor that farms less than 400 acres and has two articulated CIH and a Versie.  He does a fuzz of custom work but not that muck. In case you haven’t heard they make these things called smart phones a person can drive a tractor across the field and surf.  Just think I bought auto-steer for the 8030 I’ll have more time to surf.  
You are COMPLETLY missing my point OuchOuch !! Yes , the OP inquired about a "FWA" , and perhaps he has one located "cheap". How "cheap" was your Green Machine when the front axle snapped off ?? Is this a "normal" issue with a 7550/8550/305 Allis ???
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 6:52pm

Just curious, what are the conditions that "might" require FWD ? An XT or a 200 "might" be something to look into unless a cab is a priority ? Again, just curious Wink.

Comparing the 100 series to the 8000 series for operator comfort is comparing a Chevette to a Cadillac they are both GM’s but that’s it. Spend some 16 hour days in a tractor and it makes a difference.
For 85 acres worth of seat time ??? WTH TOMCAT ??? Pad your A%% in your BTO JD 4x4 Wink 
You've posted too many times between 2 forums to run 16 hour days in/on a tractor ClapClap

When the 8030 showed up we covered just north of 300 acres a year now shy of 1200. The OP seems motivated he might very well grow into it.  I have a neighbor that farms less than 400 acres and has two articulated CIH and a Versie.  He does a fuzz of custom work but not that muck. In case you haven’t heard they make these things called smart phones a person can drive a tractor across the field and surf.  Just think I bought auto-steer for the 8030 I’ll have more time to surf.  
You are COMPLETLY missing my point OuchOuch !! Yes , the OP inquired about a "FWA" , and perhaps he has one located "cheap". How "cheap" was your Green Machine when the front axle snapped off ?? Is this a "normal" issue with a 7550/8550/305 Allis ???

I know in your mind God made the 190xt on the eighth day and all Deere products are the spawn of the devil.

Let’s put it this way even with me pulling the front differential out and delivering it it Bader’s and having them rebuild it cost less than each of these none Deere breakdowns 
1) Snapped shafts in 7580 tranny
2) The gernaded rear end that Heitman dump off on me in 6080
3) The three double handfuls of ground metal that was scooped out of the tranny non moving 8050 I bought
4) FW 30 Ford drop box
5) Electrolysis holes in the sleeves of the 7060

The last Allis tractors to roll off the line are 35 years old and aging.  I’m putting just shy of 300 hours a year on the 6080’s.  Considering that atleast 2 of the 3 are in the 10,000 plus hour area they won’t last as long as I hope my career to span.  Deere has rolled iron of the line so to speak daily since then.   Bader’s have a parts barn 8 miles from my doorstep that they drop to 2-3 times a week. William’s great folks but they are 2.5 hours away. 

As far as other options for the OP other than maybe a white he won’t get into a mfwd tractor for less than a 8000.  

To stay Agco it takes a 10 plus year jump from the last Allis to get decent offerings again.  Would I buy a 8775 or 8785 if  the opportunity was right?  Heck yes but very few exist.  Probably 20 or more to 1 6400 out there than 8775 and 8785.   Even the DT series sound respectable.  
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
977.3Ford View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 977.3Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 7:56pm
Man, i've been busy a few days and this post has kinda blown up. LOL Anyways will i need FWA, hopefully not. Our ground is relatively flat and has some wet spots but not too bad. My best friends farm who i help and who's equipment i'll be using is a different story. Their ground is only 10 miles south but lays wet and has some hills, i've gotten plenty of wheel slip pulling a disc in a less than ideal spring with duals on a 7020/20ft disc. We also do commercial snow removal(when it snows, haven't pushed any snow locally in almost 2 years now) so a decent FWA could make some money in the winter with a blade.

And call me crazy but if i'm going to spend the money to essentially break even farming i want to do it in a 8000 series. Just turned 27 but i've been an AC guy since i was born. Learned to drive on a WD45 my grandpa bought new, but threw a rod and got sold when i was 7 or 8. My buddy i help farm bought a 7020 going on 3 years ago and a really nice 7060 last year that i've gotten familiar with, spent a decent bit of time in them and wrenching on them. Nice tractors other than the cab. I spend my days stuffed into a mini-ex or skid steer, it'd be nice to have a good cab to spend my time in after work. Also having room for a passenger to ride comfortably would be nice. Not saying all the hours i spent in the back window of a 1070 case or sound guard Deere was miserable, but i'd rather not put my kids through that. Wink

Edited by 977.3Ford - 23 Jan 2021 at 8:00pm
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 8:29pm
Only advice I want to give is don’t buy equipment unless you can pay for it without a mortgage doing small acre farming. Step up as you put a few dollars in your pocket without the stress of bank payments. Even the newest equipment will have expenses and breakdowns that you can’t foresee. Best of luck and enjoy farming!
rieg View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rieg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:18am
Hey 977.3ford I am just south of Dayton and farm with 8000, 100, and 6000 series Allis tractors and some jd equipment. 8030 fwa on a 6 row corn planter 8050 on 1560 jd bean drill. I plant 24 end rows and yes light bulb turns are required but also needed for the combine to turn with a 6 row head so its all good. Just bought fwa parts for an 8050 project tractor that my brother bought out of NY. We have a great AGCO dealer In Eaton OH that can still get about anything Allis. Good luck with whatever you decide and welcome to the forum. There is a wealth on knowledge on here and I have relied it many times.
rieg
GM Guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 5:14pm
I think if it came down to paying for a 7060 with cash or taking a note out on a 8050 MFWD I'd be inclined to do the 7060.

A 7060 is already 2x overkill for what you need so still plenty of room to grow, and IMO 7010-7080 are a bargain for what you get, if you can tolerate the 2wd and small cab. Run it for a while, sell it off when the right 8000 comes around.

Gleaner: the properly engineered and built combine.

If you need parts for your Gleaner, we are parting out A's through L2's, so we may be able to help.
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by GM Guy GM Guy wrote:

I think if it came down to paying for a 7060 with cash or taking a note out on a 8050 MFWD I'd be inclined to do the 7060.

A 7060 is already 2x overkill for what you need so still plenty of room to grow, and IMO 7010-7080 are a bargain for what you get, if you can tolerate the 2wd and small cab. Run it for a while, sell it off when the right 8000 comes around.

OP is from Great Lakes area climate and soil type is much different here than where you are.  How much experience do you have with the cussed Great Lakes?
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 8:34am
I guess I need to weigh in.  I farm about 200 acres and work a full time job along with a family.  I have an 8070 FWA, 8050 and an 8010.  Is it overkill for what I do.  Maybe.  But I can get it done when it's time to go and I enjoy almost every minute.  You can run the 8000 series for less money than a new more modern tractor and be just as comfortable.  I say go for it if you have the cash.

I also noticed you said you had a $15,000 budget.  I'm afraid if you find an 8000 fwa your going to have to spend another $10k on it.  If you look long and hard you might find one for $20.  whatever you do, my advice would be to find a nice one that might just need a cab kit.  you cant polish a t**d but you can sure dump a bunch of money in it and still have a t**d.  Good luck. 
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 12:23pm
Maybe a bit overkill but theres good ones out there for 15, may need a little polishing but do able, dont let any negative past experience as said on here sway you - just do your homework !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic