This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8000 series FWA overkill?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 977.3Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8000 series FWA overkill?
    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 2:03pm
Looking to buy my first tractor and start farming myself this spring. Currently have around 60 acres of row crops and 15 acres of hay, but that will grow. My grandparents have a Deere 3020 to do the light hay work but this will essentially be my main tractor. Will pull a 12 row planter, 15ft drill, manure spreader, 9ft or 11ft discbine, round baler, and tillage equipment. Really have my heart set on a 8050 Powershift, but might look at some 8030's and 8070's as well. I've only grown up around 2wd tractors with duals so thats what i'm used to, but theres been plenty of times when we've wished we had FWA. I'm just afraid of getting one and the the cost to work on it being more than its worth. I should add i do all of our mechanical work so not worried about labor, just parts cost and availability.

My question is this, what long term expense will FWA add and will it be a headache for me for my needs? My current budget is around $15k, but i might push that to $20k for the right deal. I'm perfectly fine with buying a 2wd as it is, but i've seen a handful of FWA's out there that are worth looking at as well. 
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 3:58pm
Any 40 yr old FWA axle will be an extra expense to maintain. Just the tires alone cost way more than 2WD tires. If you don't need FWA, I wouldn't invest in one. If something bad happens, 8 to 10K is a pretty common repair bill from a Deere dealer.
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 4:12pm
I pull a 12 row planter with dry fertilizer boxes and a wavy coulter on each row unit, and 20 ft drill with a coulter cart in front of it on 7" spacing with absolutely no trouble with a 2wd 8030  I pulled the same planters with a 210 before and it had a full load, but did a good job.

FWA is one more thing to fix,  and the 8000 series FWA. as I have read on here are not having any parts built for them any more.  I would look for a 2wd if I was you, less expense to buy and maintain.
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 5:29pm
Also consider if you need a 540 pto, may make your decision different.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 6:06pm
Just curious, what are the conditions that "might" require FWD ? An XT or a 200 "might" be something to look into unless a cab is a priority ? Again, just curious Wink.
PeteMN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeteMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 6:29pm
I pull a 12 row White planter with an Allis 8010 FWA and it pulls it fine without duals.  Also use it for a 5x6 rd baler and 60'pull type sprayer.  We use a 6080 FWA to pull a 10' discbine, it's lighter and seems to turn shorter.
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 6:54pm
Buy the mfwd you won’t regret it.  I sorta have the goal to never buy another 2wd tractor.   We have a 7060 that has been demoted to running the 3 point forklift since it can’t get the bite the mfwd 8030 and 8050 do or the articulated 7580. 

Edited to add:

Seems every once in awhile you see front axles from a burnt tractor for sale.  Worst case buy a salvage front axle from a twd till you find parts to fix your mfwd. 

Edited by victoryallis - 21 Jan 2021 at 6:58pm
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 10:14am
Dayton, OH, I lived there for a year, as I recall pretty darn flat for the most part. Is that so on your acreage, and do you have any drainage issues at all?

If you ALWAYS have great conditions, and ALL your equipment is "relatively" small for your tractor and easy pulling, 2wd will suit you OK.

But overall, I tend to agree with Mr. Victory, get the FWA. You pull better in all conditions, and can do things and go places a 2wd wouldn't dare. Yes, tires are more, and maintenance and repairs more, BUT, you should be able to make more money with it at all times to offset.

Going to sound harsh, sorry Allis guys, but if you're concerned about parts availability, look for a FWA tractor from a company still in business.
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Going to sound harsh, sorry Allis guys, but if you're concerned about parts availability, look for a FWA tractor from a company still in business.

Unfortunately, I would have to agree.
farmtoybuilder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmtoybuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 12:56pm
We'll Never buy another 2wd tractor for use on farm or other work. Have sold and used FWA for years! A smaller FWA will do work of a larger 2wd in most conditions. Unless you needed X amount of horse power.  But your budget won't buy newer FWA that would be lower hours & lots more dependable than old ones. Good Luck
5 different TT-10's,5 TT-18's Terra Tigers,B-10,2 B-207's,B-110,2 B-112's,HB-112,B-210,B-212,HB212,2 Scamp's & Homilite T-10. Still hunting NICE HB-112 & anything Terra Tiger & Trailers for them.   
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 2:04pm
A 12 row/30 inch corn planter doesn't work for sour apple shi++ with an 8000 series FWA. Can't turn short when setup for 30 inch rows.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 2:11pm
Well, I've never driven one, a 8000 series anything that is. But I used to plant with a 4 row. Nothing I had would U turn 10 ft center to center. Big deal, so you "bulb shape" your turn a little. Never crossed my mind as even an annoyance. So a 8000 FWA can't U-turn a 30 ft pass to pass? If so, big deal, plant 2 headland rounds, and bulb shape your turns. Would still much much prefer what a FWA can do!
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 2:29pm
Sounds like those that think they "need" 4WD are working ground that isn't fit to be worked, unless that are pulling super wide implements. As I was growing up, I was taught to say away for wet spots. 
  The so called farmer that farms the ground around me waits until enough rain has fallen to thoroughly turn everything into mud before he'll show up with a planter behind a big articulated 4WD with duals or a combine, then the ruts become misquito ponds in the summer.  My parents, grandparents and so on are probably rolling in their graves the way so called farmers abuse the land these days.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

A 12 row/30 inch corn planter doesn't work for sour apple shi++ with an 8000 series FWA. Can't turn short when setup for 30 inch rows.

I call bull

My soybean planter is a 13 row - 18 inch center planter. Most amazing thing ever I can turn with it on the ends. I make 3 passes (60 foot total headland) and with a slightly pear shaped turn it easily is lined up for the next pass. Since my planter is 3pt having the heavier front end really helps keep the nose down and tire scuffing down. Same 60 foot headlands I can make it back down with my 15 foot 750 no till drill. Works here with my 8030 just fine. If both 8000 series were down I’d probably rent a mfwd tractor before putting the 7000 back on the planter.

Edited by victoryallis - 22 Jan 2021 at 3:55pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Just curious, what are the conditions that "might" require FWD ? An XT or a 200 "might" be something to look into unless a cab is a priority ? Again, just curious Wink.

Comparing the 100 series to the 8000 series for operator comfort is comparing a Chevette to a Cadillac they are both GM’s but that’s it. Spend some 16 hour days in a tractor and it makes a difference.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 6:30pm
Really ??? First off, with the front wheels set on 30 inch rows the FWA doesn't turn very short at all. Secondly, I have customers who don't want to fish hook on the fields end and sometimes only want 24 end rows.  Thirdly, what wheel tread are you on with 18 inch rows ??? 72 inch ?? Sure, it will turn pretty darned good at 72 inch spacing, but not at true 60 inch.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by victoryallis victoryallis wrote:

Comparing the 100 series to the 8000 series for operator comfort is comparing a Chevette to a Cadillac they are both GM’s but that’s it. Spend some 16 hour days in a tractor and it makes a difference.
For 85 acres worth of seat time ??? WTH TOMCAT ??? Pad your A%% in your BTO JD 4x4 Wink 
You've posted too many times between 2 forums to run 16 hour days in/on a tractor ClapClap

Edited by FREEDGUY - 22 Jan 2021 at 6:41pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Really ??? First off, with the front wheels set on 30 inch rows the FWA doesn't turn very short at all. Secondly, I have customers who don't want to fish hook on the fields end and sometimes only want 24 end rows.  Thirdly, what wheel tread are you on with 18 inch rows ??? 72 inch ?? Sure, it will turn pretty darned good at 72 inch spacing, but not at true 60 inch.

Last time I checked 24x2.5 is 60 foot and 39x1.5 is 58.5 so with 3 passes I’m turning around in the same headland as a 12 row making two passes.  Your making a big assumption that I don’t have a row going in each wheel track.  Both the 8030 planting beans and the Genesis planting corn have units running in tractor tracks unless it’s honestly damper than you should be planting into it doesn’t effect the stand. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 7:30pm

Originally posted by victoryallis victoryallis wrote:

For 85 acres worth of seat time ??? WTH TOMCAT ??? Pad your A%% in your BTO JD 4x4 Wink 
You've posted too many times between 2 forums to run 16 hour days in/on a tractor ClapClap

When the 8030 showed up we covered just north of 300 acres a year now shy of 1200. The OP seems motivated he might very well grow into it.  I have a neighbor that farms less than 400 acres and has two articulated CIH and a Versie.  He does a fuzz of custom work but not that muck. In case you haven’t heard they make these things called smart phones a person can drive a tractor across the field and surf.  Just think I bought auto-steer for the 8030 I’ll have more time to surf.  
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 8:14pm
I love the 8000 series but the OP is only talking about 75 acres and MAYBE more. Seems like a lot of overhead to me???
Manchester Allis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manchester Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 8:37pm
Unless you need the cab room (kid's I get it) I would go with a 7k series with a 426 powershift and of course 2wd.  Really it is the same powertrain without 2wd but for your size I think bigger would be overkill.  I understand growing into a tractor but also you don't want to have funds tied up in a piece of equipment that is to big for what you have and not have those funds to grow.  Also think about the tractor you will be able to budget for when you do grow.  Maybe a low hour FWA.
PeteMN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeteMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 8:45pm
Last year i planted two passes on headlands with an 8010 FWA pulling a 12 row 30" White pull type planter.  Yeah it was a little tight on turns in fields that aren't square.  But I never used the brake to turn, sometimes I just turned off the FWA to make the turn and flipped it back on when I was straight with the rows.  I'm not sure what the problem is for people who don't want to do bulb style turns during planting, spraying sure, but not planting.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by allisbred allisbred wrote:

I love the 8000 series but the OP is only talking about 75 acres and MAYBE more. Seems like a lot of overhead to me???
That is clear thinking. 

Yes the OP should look for an older nice 100 hp tractor if he really needs it. He can always trade it off or sell it when he gets to the point of needing something bigger and better or he might keep it and still get something better too. If he does things right, he'll grow into what he wants some day. Unless he has been gifted a big chunk of moola.
But who am I to talk! 7050, 200. R52, still have my nice L2 and a Mack with 42 foot Timpte! But a good job helps!

Edited by Lonn - 22 Jan 2021 at 9:12pm
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 6:48am
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

Sounds like those that think they "need" 4WD are working ground that isn't fit to be worked, unless that are pulling super wide implements. As I was growing up, I was taught to say away for wet spots. 
  The so called farmer that farms the ground around me waits until enough rain has fallen to thoroughly turn everything into mud before he'll show up with a planter behind a big articulated 4WD with duals or a combine, then the ruts become misquito ponds in the summer.  My parents, grandparents and so on are probably rolling in their graves the way so called farmers abuse the land these days.

It’s not nearly so dramatic.

First off, pull into a field, drop your implement, take off. Ya think, “man, seems like the tractor is bogged down, lugging...oh yeah! Forgot to turn the front wheels on!” And just like that, tractor perks up, rides higher in the soil, turns BETTER. It just pulls better in ALL conditions.

Secondly, yes, there are times when the soil is wet. There’s also a time where you MUST get done. You can go out with something like a field cultivator or in the old days I used a drag and you scratch the dirt up a little bit and gain DAYS of drying.

Loader work it pushes difficult material into the bucket better. Climbing the silage pile to pack. So many benefits.

Maybe your parents and such roll in their grave. But it’s probably more pleasant to picture grandpa with a satisfied grin on his face operating a tractor that can do so much so nicely!
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 8:08am
Back when we still cultivated, even on a four row, the difference between having the front wheels engaged or not, was very noticeable. Then, when we went to 12 row cultivators, it was a requirement.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 8:17am
Tbone

Can you imagine PaulB with a twd loader tractor putting a silage bale out a muddy pasture? Or is it oops ground ain’t fit can’t feed cows today or in that case till April or May. It’s kinda like 4wd in a pickup you only use it 5-10% of the time but when you do your great full it’s there.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 8:25am
I’m hoping to own an 8070 someday too. Fwd is a very handy feature.

The 7010-7060 2wd could offer you decent workhorse hp at perhaps $7,500-10,000. And, there were many of them produced. The 7010/7020’s 301 powered models offered 90-106 drawbar hp. The 7040/7060’s 426 powered models offered 117-142 drawbar hp.

My point is that your proposed $15k budget could possibly buy you two 7000 series units - one 7010/7020 & one 7040/7060. If so, then the smaller 301 could accomplish planter/sprayer/baling task with better fuel economy and the 426 could do heavier tillage work. AND, this is a big plus - if one goes down during your busiest seasons, the other could fill in temporarily, while repairs/replacements are sought for the other.

Then as acres increase, trade up to the 8000 series.

Edited by AC7060IL - 23 Jan 2021 at 9:25am
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 8:26am
Comparing loader work to field work is apples to oranges.  Doing field work in conditions too wet and rutting up drains is doing your land more damage than getting the job done. Many time it takes years if not decades to repair damage done in just one season with a "got to get it done attitude". There are true farmers out the that respect the land they farm and others that just rape the land they rent. My predecessors lived through the depression and never wanted to waste anything especially the money to buy and un-necessarily large tractor to pull implements that a smaller tractor could do more efficiently and would grumble and point out how wasteful people of today are. 
   Going back the the OP; with only 60 acres of cropland and 15 acres of hay, 150HP in any configuration is an overkill and tying up resources that could be used more wisely elsewhere. In the 70s I farmed over 400 acres of corn with about 100 acres of wheat, and some 100 acres of hay ground with only a Farmall SuH and an Allis B and all the corn round was plowed. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 12:34pm
Well Paul, loader work was just one example that I gave.

But what do I know, I guess I’m not a real farmer. Somehow I manage to beat area yields and have grown my operation by faking it and doing it all wrong.

Oh well.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 12:41pm
As for the OP, yeah it might be overkill. The conversation kind of evolved from there, sorry. But, I don’t know your whole situation, good off farm job, etc, but it sure is nice to have a tractor that’s versatile, reliable, does it’s required work easily, and is a joy to operate. Good luck to you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic