This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8 volt to 6 volt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jminpa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8 volt to 6 volt
    Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 10:05am
The previous owner of my WD said that he converted the tractor to 8 volt from 6 volt so if I want to switch back to 6 volt what are the things I am going to need to change, I was told the generator needs to be tweaked but when I took it to a shop they said it was made to crank both 6 and 8 volt.  Thanks for you help...  John

Edited by jminpa - 10 Apr 2010 at 10:06am
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 10:17am
Never heard of a 8 volt system.
Jeff Z. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 10:18am
All you have to change is the battery.
Really does it matter if you have a 6 or 8 volt battery.
I think the 8 is the way to go.
The 6 volt generator will charge it just fine.
Many people with 6 volt systems have gone to the 8 volt battery.
kip in cny View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kip in cny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 10:20am

put volt meter on your battery and trurn down your voltage regulator. thats all its easy

160 CA 920diesel 5020 HD-3
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 10:23am
D. Miller, They say if you don't learn something new every day than it's a wasted day.
jminpa View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jminpa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 10:44am
Well the main problem I had with the 8 volt battery is I didn't know how to charge it without the battery smoking and got a little scared so got a 6 volt battery,... and thanks for the advice it really helps
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 10:53am
I never had a problem with the six volt generator on the tractor charging them.
You can also get the 8 volt Battery Tender.

Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 11:05am
If your WD has only a cutout (usually round package) and thus a three brush generator, it will charge an 8 volt battery fine. Lamps won't last as long though. And going to 8 volts on a 6 volt system is paying out money for an odd battery, rather than properly maintaining the 6 volt wiring connections, particularly those at the battery posts and the starter. And that must include the battery mounting. Battery to starter cables must not have been replaced with some from the Wallyworld battery kiosk that are for small engines on 12 volts and have way too little copper for a 6 volt starter.

Gerald J.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 8:31pm
Worn starter bushings are another reason as well sa bad cables or connections to ground .The 3rd brush may need adjusting but try it first.
 Other option is convert to 12 V and go with alt or 12 V gen
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 12:38am
Oh, yah. I have trouble with the local auto electric shop, they don't want to do bearings in a starter, but will when I insist. I had that problem in a 8N starter long ago. New bearings and a new bendix and it worked fine. The thrust of the gear, plus magnetic pull will move the armature to the side in worn bearings so it can rub on the pole pieces. When it rubs it dissipates all its power there instead of turning the engine over. Brushes wear out with a few decades of use too.

Gerald J.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 7:37am
As the guys posted, the use of an 8V Battery is an investment to make up for poor or worn out parts. Tired starter motors, old wiring & cables, etc all are troubles for any system, but the 6V system and its components in general need to be in tip top shape to do the deed and you won't have any troubles. The 6V Gennie will work fine charging an 8V Battery. In most cases, you won't even have to mess with the third brush if so equipped to compensate your charge rate....
Steve@B&B 
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 7:47am
I had a WD that the engine was rebuilt. After that if you stalled it while working it hard, such as plowing, the 6 volt would not turn it over very well. 8 volt battery fixed that.

I figured the raised the compression with the rebuild.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic