This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

745c ATF

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J&S Concrete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 745c ATF
    Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 5:36pm
Ive looked all over and cant find any specs, or any recommendations on what kind fluid goes in the tranny.
I have what I believe is a 1977 Fiat Allis 745c.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 12:44am
I used 30W engine oil in the tranny in my 745. You maintain better pressures and improved metal to metal protection this way than with ATF ...especially if it has high hours.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 7:36pm
On the books recomendation, I had been running the best ATF I could get in my 645 transmission, but it kept getting slower and slower. Finally, I had been hearing a few stories that Alison was now recommending 50-40 engine oil for there transmissions, so I drained the ATF, and put in 15-40, and she ran like a scalded dog. I now have another issue, but that's for another post. Darrel
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

On the books recomendation, I had been running the best ATF I could get in my 645 transmission, but it kept getting slower and slower. Finally, I had been hearing a few stories that Alison was now recommending 50-40 engine oil for there transmissions, so I drained the ATF, and put in 15-40, and she ran like a scalded dog. I now have another issue, but that's for another post. Darrel

Did an A-C manual actually recommend ATF??
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 8:19am
Eric, I guess I never seen it myself in the book, but another owner told me that. And I don't know if there is a difference between dexron and ATF, but I think it may have been a top of the line dexron that I used. Darrel
J&S Concrete View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J&S Concrete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 11:19am
Interesting.
Thanks for the info.
The previous owner ran ATF and Ive had to top it off with 7 gal or so.
After I try to find my leak, I might switch to some 30w oil
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 3:55pm
Perhaps the greatest feature of any Automatic Transmission Fluid is its detergent quality as well as fluidity (if that's a word) in any temperature but the bigger downfall is the lack of protecting metal to metal. I have a tester for testing metal to metal protection of oils and ATF being Dexron or other is pathetic. Once you see it with your own eyes you don't want it where heavy duty service is required especially in older equipment where we are trying to avoid rebuilding expenses. Some years ago I talked to a guy that bought a brand new A-C TL 20 in the 1960's. The manual called for 10W oil in the transmission. Within the first two years of being new he had a transmission failure. After rebuilding the dealer told him to use 20W motor oil...decades later it was still running trouble free. Personally after having numerous trouble-free Caterpillar machines that called for 30W motor oil in the power shift transmissions I thought "what is good for the goose is good for the gander" and put it in the 745 transmission with good results.
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 3:07am
I`ve heard these critisisms of ATFs before, and have wondered how any equipment manufacturer who recommends ATF could offer any warranty support for their product if the metal to metal anti wear properties of that oil is inferior. ATF has been recommended by numerous automotive equipment makers including Allison and Borg Warner, and they would do extensive testing of oils themselves
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Mactractor Mactractor wrote:

I`ve heard these critisisms of ATFs before, and have wondered how any equipment manufacturer who recommends ATF could offer any warranty support for their product if the metal to metal anti wear properties of that oil is inferior. ATF has been recommended by numerous automotive equipment makers including Allison and Borg Warner, and they would do extensive testing of oils themselves

That's a very good point...that said I imagine if the manufacturer is satisfied that it passes their criteria it's maybe "case closed" from their point of view. However in our interest in sustaining old iron we discover improved methods be it oil or other I tend to pay attention. I have done business with two brothers that have a steering box rebuilding shop (mostly for big trucks). They do excellent work and have a very good reputation. They expressed to me their frustration with the use of ATF in steering systems due to the low metal to metal protection and said if at least 10w 30 motor oil were to be recommended it would extend steering box durability. Not intending to steal this thread - I better stop hereEmbarrassed
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 9:51pm
I've always kind of wondered what Gleaners mentality was for running red hydraulic oil, but I guess you can't argue with success. I'd have to guess that it's thin consistency probably makes the electo hydraulics function better. It's driven many hydros for thousands of hours I guess. Darrel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic