This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7020 woes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youngorange2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7020 woes
    Posted: 13 Jul 2024 at 11:21pm
My ol faithful $500 7020's engine finally gave up on me after many hours of hard use and 5 years of excellent service. Back story on it is in 2021 the hose clamp on the turbo inlet hose and it was after dark and bone dry and dusty and I didn't realize anything was wrong and continued to plow for 3 hours. The fallowing morning I checked the oil and it was down a gallon!! I then took the side shield off and found the intake hose half off and oil running out of the turbo and the turbo was shot. Well crap. I bought a new aftermarket turbo and changed oil and filters and filled back up with 15w40 and kept plowing however it was burning oil so I I switched to straight T1 sea 40 and it helped big time however the blowby was pretty extreme. Ran the tractor that way knowing it will need a major overhaul but she held up for 3 years as my big tractor doing everything from running a nh 1431 to a 5x18 plow. This June I was mowing some very thick 5 foot tall hay and she got warm so I let it cool down and shut down and came back a few hours later and it was harder then heck to get started. And mowed about ten minutes and like the flip of a switch she shut down. Big white clouds out the blow by and exhaust and appears to have blown out the head gasket. Well . I unhooked the mower and pulled the 7020 out of the way and kept going until about two rounds later and the IH lost it hydraulics....    anyways the 7020 engine is locked up tight I can't turn it with a 3 foot bar. I'm thinking now would be a great time for a Cummins swap. That said does a 8.3 mechanical happen to fit in a 7020? Only reason I am leaning towards a 8.3 is I can get a truck with a 225hp 8.3 for about $1500 instead of a mechanical 6bt core for $1500. I'm liking the idea of updating to a more modern engine that I can walk into half a dozen places in town and get a water pump off the shelf on a Saturday morning.
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2024 at 6:49am
Neither the Cummins 5.9 or 8.3 will "fit" into the A-C chassis. They can be made to fit, but at a cost. I helped on a 7020 with the 5.9 and the biggest fight was the rear engine to bell housing plate, flywheel and drive disc to the flywheel. There are people out there who make the parts to do this, but for a couple thousand bucks or more  per tractor. Everything else was pretty easy. The 5.9 is plenty of engine for that tractor. It's HP and torque numbers can rival the 426 Allis engine. The 8.3 can be too much engine/torque for that tractor and doesn't like 2500 to 2600 RPM top speed where the 5.9 that isn't any problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic