This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7020 Engine->M2 combine engine work?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nowaktj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7020 Engine->M2 combine engine work?
    Posted: 06 Aug 2024 at 5:50am
Hi guys-I need an engine for my 7020 (649I-painted black) and found someone selling one that is supposedly out of M2 combine.   The engine is orange and the serial plate states the engine is a 2900 instead of a 649I.

Would this engine be the correct engine for my 7020? Thanks in advance for your help.

The 2900 pictures are attached below.

D19D, D17D, WD, WC, Snobee, #83 Plow, SC Blade, 14' disk, 400 series planter, B , Terra Tiger, M Dozer w/Baker Blade, TL-12, 42S Grader, G
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2024 at 6:09am
It is older than a 7020. It would be closer to a 7010 for HP. Many things have to be changed to fit in a tractor. Would work if enough changes are made but will be 12 to 15 HP or so LESS.
nowaktj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nowaktj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2024 at 6:29am
Thanks for the insight.

Looking at this engine, it appears to have the water jacket intercooler parts or am I seeing things?   If it has the intercooler, it will have more hp than a 7010 engine as that one does not have the intercooler.

What would have to be changed to drop it into my 7020?   Just the front mounting plate?

Thoughts?

Edited by nowaktj - 06 Aug 2024 at 6:58am
D19D, D17D, WD, WC, Snobee, #83 Plow, SC Blade, 14' disk, 400 series planter, B , Terra Tiger, M Dozer w/Baker Blade, TL-12, 42S Grader, G
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2024 at 9:26am
This engine is rated at 130HP flywheel. A 7020/M3/L2-3 engine was rated at 145 HP flywheel. The intercooler (intake manifold cooler) is on the left side above the oil filters and this engine doesn't have that accessory. Changes to make: probably the flywheel, maybe the front crank pulley, the front engine plate will probably need angle iron adapter brackets fabricated to mount the engine front to the side frames, or go to all the work to swap the plates, which I wouldn't do. Water pump height may be fine. Exhaust elbow needs to be turned or replaced with the tractor elbow. Oil pan/oil pump should be OK. Throttle lever may be wrong, can't see it. Alternator and brackets are different.  This swap would be far less work than installing it in a 180-200-7000 tractor, which need a hydraulic pump mounting area on the left side.

Edited by DrAllis - 06 Aug 2024 at 9:28am
nowaktj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nowaktj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2024 at 10:17am
Thanks for the guidance.

Could I take the intercooler manifold off my existing engine and install on this transplant to gain that horsepower back?

Pic of other side of transplant engine below.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2024 at 10:40am
Fuel burn rate (GPH) determines actual HP results. Use your 7020 injection pump (injectors are the same) ,and the turocharger (different size) and then the intercooler to keep exhaust temps in an acceptable range, and you'll be right back up to where you were.

Edited by DrAllis - 06 Aug 2024 at 10:50am
slimbo3006 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slimbo3006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2024 at 3:51pm
There is a 649T for sale in the classified section.    It too is out of a combine, but all else being equal...the 649T is newer and would at least have the piston cooling jets. 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2024 at 6:50pm
This engine is out of an M-2 combine. It has to be 1977 or newer. It probably has piston cooling jets if it is a 77 and 78 model for sure.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic