This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7000's first use: Good and some questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7000's first use: Good and some questions
    Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 4:08pm
Well, first off, I hope everyone stayed reasonably cool today, it was hot here in KY.  I got to do about 3 hours of round baling with my 7000 this afternoon and try it out since cleaning the powershift valve body.  The good was the fuel sender is working again after retightening the sender wire and the PTO didn't kick out once when running at full speed (and the air conditioning was nice with it 95 degrees outside lol). 

There were a couple of things that concern me still.  Mainly, the lube pressure light stays on right up to 1800 if not a hair over (under 1900 still) when in 1st range and the 3rd range clutch is intermittent as far as engagement goes.  Ususally the first time you shift into it, it only builds up 1/2 pressure or so and slips (pressure light is dimly lit), but if I shift back to second, then back to 3rd, it usually grabs and the pressure light is off.  Also, then taking off in 1st range, the clutch is slower to engage.  The 2nd range is working flawlessly with quick shifts and no light on at any rpms.  The PTO didn't make any difference to the light being on, so I think it's sealing fine. 

I am wondering if this goes back to the 1st and 3rd range clutch pack having flyballs that didn't seem to seal when I used air to pressurize them?  The reason I think the flyballs didn't seal is because these two packs sprayed air out through the small holes in the housing next to the plug where the flyballs are.  The 2nd range pack didn't do this and engaged firmly with little to no air bypassing the seal.  I didn't fish the flyballs and springs out when I cleaned everything because I was afraid of messing up something. 

Hurst
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
Sponsored Links

Hurst View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 4:29pm
Also, can someone explain the purpose of the flyballs in the clutch housings.  I have been searching all over the internet, but can't find an explanation for their purpose in a wet clutch housing.

Hurst
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
neilwcmn View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilwcmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 5:17pm
the flyballs are in the clutch to dump oil pressure when you release the clutch without them centrifugal force may keep the clutch engaged with that large diameter clutch and high speed
Hurst View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 5:32pm
So they should not have let air by when I pressurized teh clutch packs?  I am wondering if this is my problem with lack of pressure on those two packs?  It seems like they are not sealing completely when the clutch is engaged. 

BTW, I forgot to mention the other good: my input shaft seal has stopped leaking for now (knock on wood), so that is another good.

Hurst
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic