This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

685T RESCUE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 685T RESCUE
    Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 12:02pm
Ok...thought I should share this with you guys. We of course monitor the Ritchie Bros. auction site in Sacramento, Ca...it's about 2 hours away. We sell and buy (yes...usually more buying).   This AC 685T (AKA to us) as an 11000...showed up....and that's how the story started.  So as DAVE...and I hear JOEL say it too....most of the internal parts of these engines are made of UNABTAINIUM. We know that...so we very seldom miss a chance to grab them when we can.So after a short pissing match with another bidder on line....it was ours  (and I apologize if it was another Forum member).David picked it up after a septic tank delivery...3hours to the Vacaville area...down I-5 and back..right by RB auction yard.
So we know no history on it.....absolutely nothing...it may or may not run
I was always attracted to the spin on oil fiter base that was available on this version....but by the time we figured it out they weren't available anymore.
Our speculation is this was probably a generator application.

This engine does not use the accessory drive for the belts as in the dozer application.
 So we have one of these engines in a farm dozer we bought for parts some years ago.
It's a pretty late HD11E model direct drive. All of those changes were made to the dozer application....probably done by a dealer.

We bought this for the engine and undercarriage to use on our B series...of course it's to good to take apart.

It has of course a oil clutch...and steering clutches. It has a farmer blade on it run by a BEGEE unit on the back. We have not even used it in the yard because the hydraulic cylinders leak so bad...didn't want to fix them.
So another thought for this tractor would be to harvest the the hardnose..hydraulics..canopy and rippers from this earlier 11s version that we acquired years ago.

This tractor did not run when we got it...it has ..what I would guess would be the 1000 engine...no turbo. We think it was dusted...the previous owner said he could get it started on either...I couldn't...not even as he towed me 3 miles down the road where we could load it.

That will happen in our spare time....So back to the 685T...I think they were used in the Gleaner harvesters and other farm equipment after AC construction equipment went away.
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 12:36pm
VERY Very Cool Mel!!!  Thanks!!
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 12:55pm
Yes, intesting information a pictures. Thanks.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 1:06pm
boy that is purdy!

Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 4:07pm
Great story and pics, as always; thanks Mel and Dave.
That late HD11E; i see it has the robert bosch fuel pump; which i understood only came out on the first 11 series B tractors.  Do you think it was standard, or a dealer mod ??
There must have been alot of HD11 and HD16 sold into agriculture work in the USA.
Cheers boys, and take care, Merv from kiwiland
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 7:48pm
Merv....That's kind of what I was hoping to explain in my story.....that engine in the 11E tractor is one of the latest model 11000s...being the metric line and being a 685T and I think with an I also...for intercooler maybe 685TI.   That engine was tweaked probably by a dealer to put in that tractor...it has the accessory drive pulley...and things like that.I'm sure it was done by one of the 2 or 3 AC dealers here in N.Ca.
  And yes there were a lot of HD11s and 16s sold here to the farmers in the 1960s and 70s
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 2:37pm
AC Mel: Very Nice Engine and story.  AC made some great Construction Equipment - if only AC was still around, economically strong and had market share and had a management team that wasn't interested in their own motives. 

Respectfully ~ Orangeman
Steve allis dozer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve allis dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 8:37am
Hey Mel is that a bull blade made from an angle blade on the yellow tractor ? 

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 8:42am
Mel, stupid question:  Purpose? of Holes in AG 11 hood sides??
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 9:09am
I can't wait to see that in a crawler.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Mel, stupid question:  Purpose? of Holes in AG 11 hood sides??

Just a wild guess, heat houser hardware that is now missing?Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 3:42pm
Steve.....YES!......I was hoping someone would notice....but I wasn't going to try to explain it  without some interest.  We've probably had this tractor for over 10 years. We did notice the blade configuration a day or so after we got it back in our yard. It looks like some one used an 11 angle blade moldboard and the C frame.....and then totally fabricated the rest of it into a straight tilt blade
So it looks like they cut the C frame off where it was still straight....maybe added some more straight tube...then welded the moldboard hinge brackets....one to the moldboard and one to the push beam....they also added a piece at the corner for the bracket to be welded to.

They had to weld the diagonal brace brackets on
They welded other pieces and spacers for the lift cylinder brackets
They did find a straight blade tilt cylinder. I have no idea where they found all the parts....must have come of a dealers shelf.
Defiantly professional grade welding....and lots of it!

It appears they started  with an angle blade mold board....they cut it down so the final width would be 9'6'' like a 11 straight blade
So it has a 2 spool valve....with a diverter valve...it has rippers too.
So.....somebody went to a hell of a lot of work to build this!! If we do get the hydraulics switched over to the other tractor...we have a extra regular 11 straight blade we would use.

Dave the holes in the hood are for brush guards....even though this was a farm tractor.  It seems like those showed up in some of the later model E 11s.  EPs seem to have them for logging.

They were hard to find....we couldn't find any that were original for this hood.  We had original ones from the 1956 HD11s which were very similar...but did not attach to the hood
By the time you got to the 11B series you were totally on your own...we've built several different versions.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 4:49pm
Very cool Mel!!
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 2:36pm
Cheers for all that explaining Mel.  I had missed that about the blade.  Was a very keen man who did all that work converting that blade, and profesionally done.
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve allis dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2022 at 9:12am
Thanks Mel for the Blade pics , sure is a lot of welding on that blade set-up  , nice job 

Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve allis dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2022 at 9:21am
Looks like they used a lot of brackets and fittings off an original straight blade 
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 7:32am
Mel....you spose that engine would fit my "pretty machine"? thanks for posting again, i always enjoy your endevers and pics! 
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 3:32pm
WOW!!! i just thoughts of something....you can use that new to you dozer to pile up firewood to cut! 
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 11:29am
The 685 engine was used in the Gleaner N7 combine 

Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic