This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

671 DETROIT BLOWER

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 671 DETROIT BLOWER
    Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 9:23pm
Ok, Here's are current project. We rebuilt this 671 blower for an HD19 dozer that we acquired several years ago.  photo P1150001_zpsrmjwydyd.jpg
We found this HD19 that really should be in our AC collection. The owner was having some health issues and decided it needed to go. It was running when it was parked,but got some moisture in the blower and it seized up. It took some time to identify why the engine wouldn't turn over. (found it in the blower after we took it off) photo P1160005_zpsaagsxdxh.jpg
This started several years ago.Our biggest problem has been that it's 3 1/2 hours away, so it's not been easy to get to. Anyway we disassembled it and started over. photo P1160007_zpsokhh747n.jpg
The previous owner has been very patient with us to get it moved. We think we're on a roll now. photo P1160008_zpsoajpxnqd.jpg
New bearings gaskets etc. and we're good to go. photo P1230015_zpsftgf3dkf.jpg
But of course it won't work unless it's AC orange. We're going to put this on Tue. We'll keep you posted (literally) photo P1240021_zps3b5qtnsy.jpg
Sponsored Links

JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 9:38pm
I bought an HD15 that the blower was missing on and a fellow said you can use any 6 cylinder blower on it... the blower on the crawler had been cast, and I got an aluminum housing blower off a semi and put on there... and then had it set.. It would start real easy, but anytime it nosed up or down, it would be a runaway... and boy did it take off... Conclusion was that the seals in the blower were already shot so... Some time I am going to have to take it off and rebuild it too. 

Say Mel, you got some good aircleaners for an HD15?
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 12:07pm
I bought a HD5B that was seized on the 2-71 -- well found out the drain hole in bottom of blower had a solid plug in it - water had got into blower - cracked a lobe on the blower and that jammed unit - locking engine . 
 Replaced just the lower lobe and set clearance and timing myself - couple shops said both lobes needed to be replaced as pair - except place i bought lower lobe - he said how to set it up. 
 Used the machine for 5 years until I sold it to guy in Hastings MN for his son to play with .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 2:56pm
Coke, We agree with you. If you use the upper and lower gears and lobes where they belong, time it and check the tolerances it should work.

Ok so we made the 3 1/2 hour trip to put this blower back on. This it what it looked like
 photo P1250024_zpstrtrtyhz.jpg
The previous owner, Wayne got a good deal on some blue paint so he had cleaned and painted it blue. photo P1250026_zpshyg5onzq.jpg
Blower installation went pretty well photo P1250034_zps0lg0lgrl.jpg
We brought our own special air cleaner. photo P1260035_zpszfl8ldip.jpg
So after all that check the video of trying a startup.

spa
http://vid966.photobucket.com/albums/ae147/doowder1/P1260037_zpsjo4cfu16.mp4

So after that attempt the starter died. So we took it off and came home
 photo P1280001_zpsgymlstgp.jpg

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 4:03pm
that ol girl could use some pads, it looks like she might have moved a few yards.  I would like to find a TC tractor around here.  thanks for sharing
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 10:59pm
I assume you didn't bring a lowboy to haul it home but it good have been nice to hear it run.
Any news on that HD41 in the Bay Area you mentioned last year?
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
wayneIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayneIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 11:17pm
may want to take the rocker cover off and make sure all your injector plungers and racks are moving freely.  My 2-71 sat for a few years and the plungers went down on the first revolution, and didn't come back up, had to work with them a little to free them and the racks up to get it started.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 11:21pm
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 11:26pm
John, Haven't heard anymore about the HD41. (been afraid to contact him cause he might say to come and get it)

Wayne, Yes I did check the injectors first. I did have to take 3 out and get them loosened up first before we tried to start it.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 6:07pm
Mel, is there anything on any allis crawler that you guys can't do. ..?
I haven't gotten anything done on my 5 since last time I talked to ya. I did get the bearings for that top shaft ordered, though. Darrel
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 9:07pm
Darrel, Actually I don't think there's anything we wouldn't try to do. But in all fairness, so much of this is very generic when it comes to AC stuff (that's what made it such good equipment) in it's time. When it comes to Detroit 71 series, if you can work on one you can work on all of them.  We also have a very extensive library of service manuals for ACs  and Detroits.  Anybody that has an AC service manual and worked on a tractor knows that these service manuals are the best that were ever made. (and you didn't need to have any metric wrenches either)
    So when you get back to the 5G and get your bearings,send me some pictures and I'll get them posted up
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 11:14am
Ok, we made the trip back to the HD19 yesterday. We took a brand new starter and after some fuel issues this is what we got. (click on video link)

http://vid966.photobucket.com/albums/ae147/doowder1/671%20blower/HD19_zps8omosonz.mp4

The fuel lines were rubber and had deteriorated to cracks and pinholes and leaked profusely. photo P2100065_zpsl8jpepku.jpg
We got it to move and turn one way,which was very encouraging. The fuel leaked so bad that we don't have enough pressure to run the engine and torque converter at the same time. photo P2100064_zpsg7llivsd.jpg
We might just take a complete new filter and hose assembly and plug in the next time.
 photo P2100062_zpsse87mmb3.jpg
It has a Garwood rear cable control unit, Garwood straight blade and Garwood Aframe photo P2100061_zps6yonujpl.jpg
When we go the next time we will be taking the lowbed. So we'll keep you posted.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 11:49am
The 6-71 blowers I worked on many years ago had a Chrysler Hemi under em'. LOL!
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 11:57am
I know little about crawlers.
Can someone give the rundown on the drive train
on this model? Clutch, transmission, does it have a differential, how does it steer.

Would you say the tracks on this one are worn? Whats the fix, can you buy new ones, how much. To fix it, a whole lot of buildup welding, pins, bushings...?

And some (a lot of them actually) machines have cable lifted blades others hydraulic,
what are the pros and cons of that?
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 1:33pm
H19 is a 2 foreward 1 reverse gear transmission.  driven by a torque converter on back on engine similiar to a modern vehicle but uses diesel fuel for fluid instead of oil and the converter is disengaged by a clutch, to shift.  transmission pinion turns a bevel gear with solid shafts on each side that go into a steering clutch.  releasing the clutch allows disengagement of track on said side allowing it to turn slightly, or hard with brake applied.

i cant say condition of rail from pictures, Mel would have to comment on that but the pads or grousers are worn down indicating use, but that does not mean the rails, and or pins and bushings are.   grouser bars can be built up, i doubt anything new fits.

cable blades were more cost effective back in the days of primative, slow and leaky hydraulics.  down side is no down pressure and cable replacements were frequent with heavy use.

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 1:35pm
also MEL  that exhaust looks new from LH view.  Are those still available from detroit?  we are needing one for our 15 but cant seem to find anyone who knows anything.

AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 3:19pm
Cal, thanks for jumpin in with that explanation for Brian, well done.

I think that those mufflers are actually Allis Chalmers OEM. We have never been able to find any other info through Detroit either. The 471 in HD9s are the same style. I've never seen that style of muffler on anything other than AC tractors.  Yes that one is in good condition. I think the previous owner painted it black when he painted the engine blue.  I have assumed over the years that AC designed that muffler so it would fit under the hood better than any Detroit OEM stuff.  (maybe?)
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 7:52pm
Good Work Mel and Crew!!!

Always amazing the AC Crawler Dozer finds that you come across and return to life. 

Will be awaiting the video of the Dozer moved back to the Gravel pit and offloaded from the trailer.  How long was the 19 in production before HD20 was ushered in?
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 11:40pm
Yes, thanks for the tutorial, I think I got it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic