This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

670T vs 670HI

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smallfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 670T vs 670HI
    Posted: 07 Aug 2024 at 7:44pm
Need to put a new power plant in my L3, decided it wanted a view outside of the block. Mine was a 670T, I have found a 670HI in an L2. I'm sure it will be straight forward swapping but what's the difference between the two? I can't find much on the HI

Edited by Smallfarm - 07 Aug 2024 at 8:13pm
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2024 at 7:49pm
No such thing.   670-T or 670-I or 670-HI.    Never remember an I or HI ever in an L-2 or L-3.
Smallfarm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smallfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2024 at 8:13pm
I was just about to edit my post to HI as I was able to get a better look at it. It's definitely a 670HI owner said engine was replaced previously. They installed a new meter reading 900hrs and has about 3600 separator hours. So the I for intercooler is making sense now but they didn't actually intercool it. The replacement engine has the normal 670T intake.
Smallfarm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smallfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2024 at 8:18pm
The HI has a Roosa Master pump tagged 2400rpm. Our 7080 has the same pump with 2550 rpm stamped. Am I giving anything up without the full intercooler or is that impossible to know without knowing pump settings?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2024 at 9:16pm
No model L ever had an I or HI engine. So it was a used engine taken from an N-5 combine I think. Full numbers from the injection pump would help. If fuel wasn't turned down from 190 HP to 160 HP I might question how good the engine is ??
Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2024 at 7:32am
The 670HI should have the counterbalanced crankshaft with the large viscous dampener. The original L2 injection pump might have been put on the 670HI to lower the horsepower and have the correct rpm range. The L2 front crankshaft pulley could then have been used. I think that the combine pulley has more grooves to run the hydraulic pump. Given the age of these engines, if it's ever been overhauled,it may have just an HI block and who knows what inside.
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2024 at 10:42am
The HI should or would give you a larger turbo and the aspirated air cleaner. Back down the RPM's a few hundred and replace the harmonic balancer and I would think it would spin the belts just fine. You might even get a larger radiator with the HI. Check the water pump for side play and count the fan blades. One might give you more blades for more cooling. Long live the Gleaners.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic