This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

655 fuel problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 655 fuel problem
    Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 12:42am
I've been messing around with the 655 I bought last summer.  Got most of the bugs out of it, I thought, hauled it to the farm to do some work and now it only runs for a couple minutes.  When I had it at my shop I drained and flushed the fuel tank, cleaned the sediment bowl, along with making sure the shut off valve was clean, installed an electric fuel pump in place of the hand pump on the engine, replaced the fuel line between the electric fuel pump and the fuel filter.  I also got the decelerator peddle working properly, the shaft on the throttle cable was sticky, lubed it up so it moves properly.  about the only thing I haven't done is replace all the fuel lines and mess with the injector pump.  Any ideas?  BTW, with the fuel pump on I seem to have plenty of fuel to the injector pump.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Sponsored Links

orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 4:17am
Air leaking into fuel line before pump?  Consider applying pressure at the tank and try to observe for leaks.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 5:27am
If it has the Roosa Master Stanadyne pump take the black fitting out of the top cover and look inside both ends. If there is a lot of garbage in it time up the engine on timing marks, pull the pump and get it rebuilt as the advance mechanism coupler is shredding. Common issue with that series on injection pump where a neighbor is having the same issue on a 185. You can clean the goo and shreds out to see if it will run OK but will not last long if does have the debris build up.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 7:40am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

If it has the Roosa Master Stanadyne pump take the black fitting out of the top cover and look inside both ends. If there is a lot of garbage in it time up the engine on timing marks, pull the pump and get it rebuilt as the advance mechanism coupler is shredding. Common issue with that series on injection pump where a neighbor is having the same issue on a 185. You can clean the goo and shreds out to see if it will run OK but will not last long if does have the debris build up.

It's not the Advance that comes apart, but the governor weight carrier drive cushion. The infamous flex ring failure. I service a lot of pumps for this, which is why I usually update the weight carrier to the new style EID which isn't affected by modern fuels as bad as the old flex ring. John's return is plugged up causing it to lose power and die. Wait a while for the housing pressure to drop off, and it'll run a little while, but as it builds housing pressure, it will lose power and eventually just idle or die. Knock the ball out of the return fitting, do the job you need to do, then get pump serviced. It will run ok for a little while in this band aid mode. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 1:00am
Well, the temp here isn't supposed to get above freezing until Friday so I don't think I'll be doing much of anything outside for the next few days.  I'm not tough like you guys in ND and MN!  Ed could you give me an estimate of how much it would cost for your to go through the pump?  I think you have my email address or you can pm me.  Thanks for the advice everyone.
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 4:12am
John: 

Excerpt from HD4/655 manual regarding hard starting:

Cold Air Temperature
Insufficient Fuel
Air Traps
Incorrect timing
Loss of Compression
Dirty Nozzles
Battery Charge Low
Valve Clearance Incorrect
Fuel Transfer pump faulty
Fuel Injection pump faulty
Fuel Injection pump out of time

Good Luck - Orangeman
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 8:54pm
Thanks Orangeman,  I know it's not some of your list because it starts right up and runs fine for a short time before slowing down and then stopping.  Since I put an electric fuel pump on it, I'm pretty sure it is getting enough fuel, looks like it anyway, I'm leaning toward the injector pump.  Ed pm'd me and said he was booked for at least a month out.  Supposed to get in the 50's this weekend, may find time to work on it then.

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 8:58pm
Just got to thinking, when I installed the electric pump, there was a small fuel filter that screwed onto the inlet side of the pump.  I'm wondering if that filter could be nearly plugged?  Will look at it in a few days.
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 4:09am
Johnco:  HD4/655 Operators manual list a fuel filter for the engine - spin on type and also a fuel filter in the (fuel tank) as well. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic