This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6080 valve cover breather. How much is too much?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssefick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6080 valve cover breather. How much is too much?
    Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 7:36pm
Newbie question here.

The breather (tube on the top of the valve cover) is producing mild emissions.

My (Newbie) question is how much is too much? Should I be concerned be ready for maitinance soon, or am I babying the machine? The engine is running like a sewing machine.

I am just making sure I understand this tractor engine better. I had a vw tdi for 18 years, but this is my first diesel tractor.

thanks!
Sponsored Links

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 8:45pm
Is there much oil coming out? How much oil does it use in 10 hours of use?               MACK
Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 9:02pm
Make sure it's not antifreeze in the oil making a steam affect at the breather.
ssefick View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssefick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2023 at 1:52pm
It uses no oil. Or atleast the pil level is constant. Just bush hogged ~6 hrs. No change in oil level. I do not see any oil at the end of the tube.

No coolant in oil, or doesn't look like it to me. No Mayonaise.

I'll provide any information that would be helpful.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2023 at 9:05pm
IF you are new to the 6080's,  these are the things we look for - as you stated check the blowby tube- stick the finger in it and look/smell/taste for antifreeze - this meas electroysis, then check the front to rear crankshaft play - unless it is the last production run it will have a front cone/cup bearing set up on the front pulley. The crank shaft play should not be over .006 and the crank should hit the front thrust brg when pried froward. IF it does not have one still measure the play. Back to blowby - a little is normal and the older the more will be present - it does not mean there is a pending problem - just that the engine is getting some wear.  Alos pay attention to the yellow handle PTO lever - DON"T RUN WITH IT BACK FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME - when it is back you are running on the throw out bearing.  Finally keep the transmission checked - it checks from a plug on the RH side under the platform or cab.  That is not the hydraulics but it must be kept full - the rear above the PTO is where the hydraulics are checked as to oil level. Run it a gallon ove the full mark - it keeps the spider gears in the differential from starving from lack of lube.  The Brakes use a light weight oil we have used the std 821 universal oil ok but the OEM called for 10 weight motor oil- tough to find - Deere still sells if for something, but I would not pay the price our local charges.   
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2023 at 9:07pm
Sounds normal to me. With 16-1 compression, there is going to be compression going past the rings.                    MACK
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2023 at 9:12pm
Wow this is the first Iv seen that stated. Run the hyd oil one gallon over full. I’ll have to start doing that
ssefick View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssefick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2023 at 9:40am
Thanks all. I'll dip my finger and smell. I will also keep the hydraulic oil topped up.

Mac thanks for your thoughts. I just wanted to check as the old girl is in service now.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic