This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6060 Short in Wiring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WNYBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6060 Short in Wiring
    Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 7:03am
Suddenly the batteries were dead in our 6060, first thought was corroded terminals not making contact.  Cleaned everything up and got it started.   Charging system seemed to be working OK.  Tried to start it 5 days later and batteries were FLAT.  So, I must have a short......... Where do I start looking?

Bill
Sponsored Links

Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 7:33am
Start by having your batteries tested individually. A bad cell in one will pull the other battery down too.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 7:38am
Start right at the Batteries. If you have a Battery sulfating and internally shorting out, its gonna take the other one with it.  Charge both up real good and then perform a draw test on each one. If one dumps, there's your problem child. Doesn't matter how new or how old they are. Batteries are always overlooked! Especially if they're new. They're new to you, but you don't know how long they sat around till you purchased them and put them in service. If they check out okay, then its time to start circuit testing.  HTH
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 7:54am
Next, unhook alternator and see if batteries stay up.     MACK
WNYBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WNYBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 7:26am
Separated the batteries and put a charger on each.   One will not take a charge!  As pointed out, it must be shorted.  I am waiting for the other one to charge and hook just it up and see what happens.  One well charged battery should start it, right?????

Thanks,

Bill
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 11:49am
I'd make sure to load test the battery that takes a charge, just to be sure that it's okay...
WC, CA, D14, WD45
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 8:12pm
My 6080 has always had one battery in it since I bought it 10+ years ago.  Still on the same battery too actually!
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
WNYBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WNYBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 7:46am
UPDATE
I charged both batteries independently and one was shorted.  So I am going with one battery.  AND the tack is working correctly and it is charging.  I have a feeling that one battery has  been going bad for some time and giving the charging/electrical system fits.

Thank again....... I have trouble with the electrical on a diesel, helpless on a gas engine.

Bill
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 2:59pm
If you decide to go back to a 2 battery setup, buy TWO new batteries ,same make and model. It's bad to mix old with new, different amphr ratings, etc.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
tractorboy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tractorboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 3:57pm
My boss was bushogging w/ 6080 parked it went to eat lunch , wife asked him where he was burning brush??  You know the rest of story!!! Check it over carefully!!!Cry 
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by DSeries4 DSeries4 wrote:

My 6080 has always had one battery in it since I bought it 10+ years ago.  Still on the same battery too actually!

Funny you say that. Bought a 6080 in 2005. Still has the same two batteries. But it’s been cranking over slowly lately. It’s probably boing to need new batteries this winter
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 8:45am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

If you decide to go back to a 2 battery setup, buy TWO new batteries ,same make and model. It's bad to mix old with new, different amphr ratings, etc.

X2!! Always replace batteries in pairs, or sets! You will save money in the long run.
WNYBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WNYBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 8:59am
With 2 batteries do the amp hrs double?  Battery size 30H is hard to find and expensive, Thinking about a smaller battery, there are several about the same size.  But, the amp hrs are less.

Bill
Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 9:19pm
You kinda get what you pay for. In cold weather, it needs all the cranking power you can give it. Nothing worse than trying to start a cold engine that will barely turn over.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 8:08am
Originally posted by Lynn Marshall Lynn Marshall wrote:

You kinda get what you pay for. In cold weather, it needs all the cranking power you can give it. Nothing worse than trying to start a cold engine that will barely turn over.

X2!!! Dad bought a 6080 new in '84. Love the tractor, still use it all the time but it is the hard-startingest thing I've ever seen. Good strong batteries help.
WNYBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WNYBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 9:09am
HARD STARTING   I put a new block heater on ours and even in the summer I plug it in for an hour,  starts right up.   It has a factory installed ether injector, but I hate to use it.  Funny, some times it will start cold, just like hot.   Probably rings!

Do 2 batteries double the Amp Hours?

Bill
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 8:51pm
I run only one battery and mine starts when it is -10 with only a little cranking, like 5 seconds little,  I have a group 31 truck battery in it I took out of my freightliner when one of the three packed it in about 8 years ago.  I think the 60 series were the best starting of all the allis chalmers tractors I have ever run, I would think if yours starts hard in warm weather there must be something just not right in it, but hey, its not new either, I realize that, but mine has over 10,000 hrs on it, freshened up a couple times over the years...

Funny thing about equipment, some batteries last in for ever and some always go through them, never figured that out why.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic