This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

52 plow pullbar question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 52 plow pullbar question
    Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 2:33pm
I have one model 52 plow and two 53's and one 63. Also some parts from worn out ones. The 52 pullbar is 8 inches longer than any of the others. Bought it at auction a couple of years ago, just sitting since. When I tried to hook it up to the 45 to move it, only one lift link would reach. That's when the light-bulb lit up. I have a pullbar the right length and will install it in time.

The question is; Is there a reason for the longer pullbar? Why would someone swap something like this in and where would it have come from?

Here's a picture with the correct one next to the one on the plow.

Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 3:54pm
Just a wild guess, but did the 50 series 2-bottom rollover plow need a longer pull bar  ??
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 5:39pm
Longer one is prolly for a D-series tractor...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 5:44pm
Well, my Dad had a new 70 series 3 x 16's on our WD45 and I don't remember having to change anything when he bought the series 4 D-17 other than deeper on the depth wheel.
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 8:34pm
Could the short one be for a CA?
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 7:06am
Difference in length is due to the plow originally being for a CA or a larger tractor, also if it was a pin hitch originally it would be longer and if it was Snap-Coupler originally it would be shorter.  Many things get swapped around over the years by those that don't really know what they're doing. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 8:09am
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

Difference in length is due to the plow originally being for a CA or a larger tractor, also if it was a pin hitch originally it would be longer and if it was Snap-Coupler originally it would be shorter.  Many things get swapped around over the years by those that don't really know what they're doing. 

I think Paul may have hit the nail on the head, hadn't thought about it once being a pin hitch plow. If someone converted it they did the job complete as most times the lift links didn't get changed. My feeling is that is what caused a lot of the injuries from the plows disconnecting,

Doctor, the roll-over plow could be possible.

It's not a CA, WD thing as the 'short' ones fit the 45 perfectly. The 'long' one when coupled to the tractor I could only get one lift link connected, rather unhandy.

At any rate, it will be made to work in time. I want to use it on the CA someday. Might try a 53 on it sometime like Dennis but the concrete that gets plowed around here 2-14's is probably enough!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 9:00am
So I had time this weekend to look into this a little more. Was just going to change out that pullbar, didn't work out! Not only is it longer, it is thinner. One in the plow is about 5/8" thick, the one I was going to use, (and the other 50 series plows I have) are about 15/16". There are pieces that the bar pivots on for draft adjustment right or left that have to match the thickness of the bar. So, just shorten the original, right? Seems easy enough. Marked where to cut, transfered the one hole that needs put in. Cut-off saw went through with no problem. Center drill, no problem. After that it was like drilling a die block, (after heat-treat)! Don't know what type steel these things are made of but it's not hot rolled. Had enough carbide here to get to 9/16", needs to be 21/32". I'll get there, may take a day or two!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 10:23pm
Them plow parts are tempered steel!
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 7:13am
Mike,
 I think if I remember I had trouble trying to drill a piece of that steel from a plow too.
Your plows look good! Your going to get it! I have confidence! They will be turning dirt next spring!
 Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 8:55am
Reflecting on this a bit, it makes sense. That pullbar is a high stress part, can't have it bending every time one finds a rock!

Here's a pic of the 'Block Spacer', AC's term.

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 2:21pm
Found a 21/32" carbide drill, got the hole finished, man what a fight! Got the plow back together, hopefully ready for the dirt. I saved the piece I cut off in case it would need to be welded back on at some point in the future. You can see where the 'eye' has an extra hole in it, maybe to match up with an old pin-coupler?

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 6:40pm
Had a little time today so I mounted this plow on the 45, fits good! Even looks like it might work right where it is.

Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 9:47am
I like your A-C wheel weights.......rarely ever see that type. They are listed in the A-C rear blade manual for use on WD-45s and D-17s. According to the manual, they weigh 375 lbs each!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 7:32pm
Me too Brian, look good and only need one set. I haven't weighed one but believe the 375 Lbs.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 12:26am
Yes Mike and Brian, I saw a set at an auction too a couple years back.  They went for about a dollar a pound.  TOO rich for me.
I always wondered how you put them on?
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 7:24am
Ted, we used the 6080 and TA28 loader to put them on. Have a clevis that fits just right.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic