This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

5015 Rebuild Advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ironbriggs1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5015 Rebuild Advice
    Posted: 21 Aug 2024 at 9:36am
I recently saved a 5015 tractor from a scrapyard that was in pretty decent shape.  To my surprise, the engine started and ran beautiful, hardly any blowby and everything else on the tractor operated as it should.  However, much to my disappointment when I went to change the oil a crankshaft thrust bearing insert came out with the oil.  An inspection with the pan removed shows the forward thrust bearing chewed into the crankshaft until it moved forward enough that the rear thrust insert fell out.  It appears that I caught it before any other major damage was done, a local machine shop says they could spray weld and remachine the thrust surface on that crankshaft for a reasonable cost.  However, the only parts source that I have found while searching online is "southern global tractor".  I will have $600 invested into just crankshaft bearings and a gasket set.  Does anyone have any experience with quality of the parts that they sell?  I might be willing to spend $1000 to fix the engine if I can be confident that those expensive parts are going to hold up.  Was that a common issue on the 5015 engine to have the forward thrust bearing fail, or did someone just use the clutch a lot on this tractor?  The tachometer is working and it only shows 1400 hours.  I know I'd be much more money ahead to just part this tractor out on Ebay, but I hate to see that happen.  Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links

Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2024 at 10:46am
I use them for parts always got good parts 
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2024 at 3:21pm
Even though I hate to see ACs in the scrap yard, I would take this tractor back there.  The only thing Allis about the 5015 is the paint color.  It is a Japanese tractor built by a company that no longer exists.  Parts are near impossible to get (and pricey if you do find them).  Not many of these tractors were sold.  There was a reason it was in the scrap yard.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2024 at 5:14pm
fix the crank issue only, and put it back to work! Throwing away stuff isn't for everyone lmao!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2024 at 6:55pm
Yeah dont scrap this thing- no matter what that one guy says , hell thats a minor fix and will be good to go for years,,
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2024 at 10:13pm
They are difficult to get parts for but a pretty good little tractor. My brother in law sold his with 2200 hrs on it, all it did was mow his yard and pull some stuff.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2024 at 7:25am
I have a Massey Ferguson 220 which is the same as an AC 5030 I keep a 4ft roto tiller on and its been a great little tractor.I'd fix the one you have if it were mine.
ironbriggs1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ironbriggs1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2024 at 8:26am
I'm glad to hear of a good experience with southern global.  I will definitely pull the crank out and have the machine shop fix it up if I don't find anything else wrong in there.  The rod bearings all looked good so I don't think much metal went through the system.  That engine just purred like a kitten, no smoke at idle.  I also enjoy saving uncommon equipment like this and the challenge of tracking down parts is all part of the hobby.  All compact tractors from this vintage to today are foreign built, so I don't see much gain in buying a different color.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2024 at 8:58am
I'd do what I call a "warranty style repair" where you go in and fix the one thing that is wrong, no need to open up the whole can of worms considering it ran great, and you simply cannot buy the needed parts to fully rebuild it. Reuse bearings if need to, but since you did locate main bearings, they'd all need replaced to keep the crank in alignment. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2024 at 2:33pm
Southern Global tractor has a kit or parts for the engine
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic