This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

5 Tips for Preventing Tick Bites While You’re Ou

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5 Tips for Preventing Tick Bites While You’re Ou
    Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 9:30am
5 Tips for Preventing Tick Bites While You’re Outdoors This Summer (answerroot.com)

5 Tips for Preventing Tick Bites While You’re Outdoors This Summer

Last Updated Jun 7, 2021

Most often, ticks live in wooded and brushy areas. If you walk through their habitat (or if your pet does), a tick may latch onto you, often migrating toward the warmer areas of one’s body to feed. Depending on the type of tick you encounter, a bite can transmit a variety of diseases. 

For example, the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi, which causes Lyme disease, is most often transmitted by the black-legged deer tick. To avoid tick-borne diseases and conditions, like Ehrlichiosis, Babesiosis and Lyme, read more about our five must-know tips for preventing tick bites while you’re enjoying the great outdoors. 

Dress for Success

The clothing you wear can keep you safe from all sorts of bug bites — and tick bites are no exception. If you’re hiking in the woods or spending time in tall grass, be sure to wear closed-toed shoes, long sleeves, and long pants. Of course, even with the proper attire, one can still find ticks on their body after enjoying the great outdoors.

Usually, ticks crawl onto your shoes or pant legs and, from there, then find their way to your skin. Tucking in your pant legs into your socks or wearing gaiters makes this task more difficult for ticks. But if you’re still worried, try wearing light-colored clothing so that you can spot any ticks before they latch onto your skin.

Use the Right Repellent

Insect repellents are generally effective against ticks. The most common type of bug spray is made from DEET, and prevents ticks from biting you. However, some evidence shows that ticks may travel across your skin until they find an untreated area. 

If you need an extra dose of protection, experts note that permethrin-based repellents are highly effective against ticks as well. Better yet, you can actually buy clothing infused with permethrin. If you’re feeling handy, you can buy a permethrin spray designed for use on apparel to infuse your favorite hiking gear with some additional protection. 

Avoid Tick Infested Areas When Possible

The surest way to avoid tick bites? Don’t expose yourself to the insects. This might mean avoiding dense woods, brush, and tall grass. And, perhaps surprisingly, this may require a little extra sun exposure: ticks actually prefer shaded areas. 

Since ticks can’t fly or jump, they find victims by hanging onto the edges of tall grass (or other vegetation) and then hurry on over when someone brushes against them. Again, this means avoiding anything that’s overgrown, and sticking to well-marked — and clear-cut — trails when hiking. 

Check Yourself and Remove Them Immediately

Once a tick hitches a ride on you, it’ll generally spend quite a bit of time scurrying around before finding a place to bite you. This means you’ll want to thoroughly check yourself after spending time in the woods or other habitats rife with ticks. The goal? Find the ticks before they latch on. Or, if they’ve already bitten you, remove them as soon as possible to prevent disease. 

As mentioned earlier, ticks often gravitate to warmer parts of your body and crevices. Be sure to check your scalp, armpits, groin, and areas near hemlines. Additionally, showering within a couple of hours of being outdoors can help you spot them. If you do find a tick that’s already attached itself to you, remove it as soon as possible. 

Before you get to work, however, you may want to identify the tick since certain ticks are linked to specific diseases. Several of the most common ticks in the United States include the following: 

• American dog tick
  • Black-legged tick
  • Brown dog tick
  • Gulf Coast tick
  • Lone star tick
  • Rocky Mountain wood tick
  • Western black-legged tick

Never removed a tick before? We’ve got some tips. While some folks opt to go to a medical professional, ticks can be safely removed at home in most cases. Using sanitized tweezers — or, better yet, a tick key — grasp the tick at the head, right where it’s attached to your skin. It’s very important that you grasp the head; if you pull from the tick’s body, the head might stay attached and lead to infection. Once you’ve grasped the head, pull suddenly and directly away from the skin. Afterward, dress the wound as needed. 

Keep Ticks Out of Your Home & Yard

Although ticks tend to live in the woods and in tall grass, they’re also known to hang out in overgrown vegetation, piles of leaves, and shrubs — especially if the shrubs are in a shaded area. As much as possible, keep your lawn free of these tick-attracting growths. 

Moreover, be sure to check your pets for ticks; an unsuspecting dog could carry ticks into your home. Those ticks won’t just cause trouble for your pooch, but they might also jump ship and bite you. Be sure to speak with your veterinarian about methods of tick prevention.

Resource Links:

• “Methods to Prevent Tick Bites and Lyme Disease” via National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH)
  • “Prevention of Tick-Borne Diseases: An Overview” via British Journal of General Practice, U.S. National Library of Medicine
  • “Preventing Mosquito and Tick Bites: A Canadian Update” via Pediatric Child Health, U.S. National Library of Medicine
  • “Review of Methods to Prevent and Reduce the Risk of Lyme Disease” via National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH)
  • “Tick Removal” via National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH)
MORE FROM ANSWERROOT.COM
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 5:49pm
Seem to be worse and earlier this year than others , the common brown dog tick I find on dog or ones that come in with the dog are not real bad but the small deer tick numbers are high . 
 they should call them mouse ticks as they seem to live and spread on rodents before migrating to deer , but whatever the source they are hard to find on long haired dogs .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 9:30pm
I pulled 43 off of me (only one had latched on) one day after mushroom hunting back in April. Deet seems to keep chiggers off of me but the ticks... Not so much.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 10:20am
Definitely worse this year than past. We keep the grass mowed frequently and short around the house. Planning to burn off the hayfield and yard this fall or very early next spring. Should help w ticks not to mention other advantages
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 7:22pm
I try keeping my grass mowed back as far as possible. I heavily spray my clothes with deep woods before putting them on then spray myself when I get out of the truck when I go out fencing has worked pretty good. If you get a deer tick that's attached make sure you see a doctor within 3 days you get two pills take the and your good to go. After the effects start its pills and shots and pain for a year. My moms had it twice and went through lots of pain before getting well.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 7:18am
I have pulled off a dozen or more ticks so far. Made the mistake of not peeling my clothes off before coming in the house. Spread them around in the house. 
It was the tiny seed ticks, none of the bigger ones.
fjdrill View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fjdrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 7:38am
Get Seresto collars for dogs. You will have no ticks on them to get on U. Use Nantucket Spider repellant (essential oils, smells pleasant like candle shop - it's the clove oil).  I've got a bottle in door of truck. Keep it in baggie with paper shop rag to apply. No more Ticks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic