This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

5.4 Codes ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5.4 Codes ??
    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 4:29pm
Somewhat of an update to my "check engine light" question. Ended up taking the truck to a independent shop to "read" codes that weren't in the "light" perimeters. 2 codes came up, 1 being a evap canister issue( was all for that because I can only trickle fuel int the tank), the other was an ECU communication errror Ouch .I purchased the $322 part  through Rock Auto(genuine Motorcraft part) and after the install and clearing of codes and new scanner diagnostics, it's looking like an ECU issue Cry. Can someone tell me what an ECU is,what does it do, and is it expensive?? The independent says its a "dealer only" fix ?? The code on the scanner(Snap on) was 466 ? Thanks
Sponsored Links

fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 6:11pm
ECU is the 'engine control module' or computer.
I can't find what 466 is. P0466 or just 466. Just 466 would be pre OBD2 which is 1995.
Checked back in the posts and it's an 05 5.4 correct?
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 6:16pm

Hey Freedguy,,,I ain't very much into them fords,,,altho ole Shameless does constantly accuse me of it,,,Wink An ECU is a Electronic Control Unit,,same as an ECM (Electronic Control Module) and I think even some other acronyms but they all equate to the High Dollar Computor that runs the whole show in your trk,,,,!!!! I really think the Evap cannister is next to the radiator and shouldn't have anything to do with addin gas to tank,,,???
 Was I you,,I would take the trk to Oreillys or Autozone and have them run THEIR OBD reader on it to see if they come up with anything other than the ECU and not quite as expensive,,!!  Good Luck,,,Clap
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 6:44pm
Joe the Evap cannister up by the radiator was pre civil war era. It's back by the fuel tank.
Slow fuel fill is the tank vent is plugged for whatever reason. Regardless of where you get the 'computer' it still has to be programmed and it ain't going to get done by just a scanner...You have to buy the software and have the hardware to do it and not likely to get it at harbor freight.Tongue
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 6:45pm
I just talked to my son who buys ford pickups. He had that code a year or 2 back. He found a corroded wire in a harness. Good luck with her. Dag nab persnickety females.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 8:00pm
P0466 is not a big problem... Light on dash, but not operational... something is plugged in the gas tank vent system...that's why you cant fill the tank and that's why you get the light... can be check valve , carbon filter plugged, hose damaged, etc... Forget it...

What the P0466 code means

The EVAP system controls fumes from the fuel tank, stores them in the charcoal canister and directs them back into the engine where they can be burned like fuel. The EVAP system’s components include the gas cap, fuel lines, purge valve and charcoal canister, system pressure/flow sensors, electrical wiring/connectors, vacuum lines, fuel tank and fuel vapor hoses, among others. A code is set in the PCM when a sensor in the system sends voltage that’s outside of normal parameter

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 8:21pm

UMMmmmm,,,,me thinks I mighta missed this one,,,,,Wink OH well,,I didn't charge anything anyway,,,,,LOLLOL

"Pre civil war" ,,,Fixer,,,chit i ain't that old,,,,am I,,???Clap
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 6:37am
1st problem....'trickle' gas in !!?? Yeesh, sounds like the plumbing is blocked or pinched. I'm trying to understand how the EVAP code comes up for them, but I'd do whatever to get gas in FAST or normal speed.....gas should flow fast and furious into the tank !

2nd problem ECU is the MAIN computer, and 'comm error' sounds like it's not 'talking ' to other computers in the truck. Newer rides have several. ECU is usually the ENGINE computer, the dashboard will have one, the 'infotainment' unit is another,security a 4th, sigh.... They all 'talk' to each other,on a 'bus'. If, IF, the diagnostice were proper, it'd say EXACTLY who isn't talkin to whom.... If you've wiggled or removed ANYTHING, unplug and reconnect 2-3 times, be SURE locking clips are locked.Also look for pins NOT properly seated in the connectors.

I KNOW that if you're a contractor and wire up your high powered stereo you can blow up  the dash computer($$$$) and fry a lot of wires under the dash.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 9:19am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

I KNOW that if you're a contractor and wire up your high powered stereo you can blow up  the dash computer($$$$) and fry a lot of wires under the dash.....
Now THAT is funny Jay! LOLClap
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 9:22am
why do you think you need a new ECU  ?  Exactly what is the truck doing and what is the code you get ?   The truck is RUNNING if you are getting codes ?  Anything related to the gas tank fill  / vent system is not part of the ECU, if in fact you have a problem.
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 10:39am
Disconnect batteries for two hours. Hook back up and drive it a couple of days and get the shop to recheck the codes.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by fixer1958 fixer1958 wrote:

ECU is the 'engine control module' or computer.
I can't find what 466 is. P0466 or just 466. Just 466 would be pre OBD2 which is 1995.
Checked back in the posts and it's an 05 5.4 correct?
Correct, 5.4. yes, PO466 is the code that came up on the scan tool. Said EVAP can/solonoid,ECU error/fail to set light. 2005 model year truck.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

P0466 is not a big problem... Light on dash, but not operational... something is plugged in the gas tank vent system...that's why you cant fill the tank and that's why you get the light... can be check valve , carbon filter plugged, hose damaged, etc... Forget it...

What the P0466 code means

The EVAP system controls fumes from the fuel tank, stores them in the charcoal canister and directs them back into the engine where they can be burned like fuel. The EVAP system’s components include the gas cap, fuel lines, purge valve and charcoal canister, system pressure/flow sensors, electrical wiring/connectors, vacuum lines, fuel tank and fuel vapor hoses, among others. A code is set in the PCM when a sensor in the system sends voltage that’s outside of normal parameter

The problem is, the light DOESN'T come on (it works because it lights up on the key cycle). This is a code that was "sniffed out" by a diagnostic scan to look for an intermittent cylinder drop in O/D. The $327 canister was replaced yesterday morning and I can attest that there is NO more filling restriction in the tank Wink. Stiil came back with the PO466 code after replacement/code clearing Ouch. Only option according to the mechanic was an ECM ? Thanks,you certainly know what is going on with my particular vehicle and I GREATLY appreciate you and ALL of the other replies !!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

why do you think you need a new ECU  ?  Exactly what is the truck doing and what is the code you get ?   The truck is RUNNING if you are getting codes ?  Anything related to the gas tank fill  / vent system is not part of the ECU, if in fact you have a problem.

That is what came up on the mechanics code reader,there are 2 seperate sources for this code,1 being the evap canister, the other being the ECM, both under the same "address".Yes truck runs, but chasing an elusive cylinder drop Stern Smile . The canister was replaced yesterday yet the code still returns after being cleared by the scan tool.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 4:50pm
I would forget about the ECM and not replace. The truck STARTS so the ECM is talking... If you have a miss fire, then you need to look at the plugs, coils , coil boot , electrical plug onto the coil, electrical plug onto the fuel injector and possibly the injector... If you have no FUEL codes, I would concentrate on the plugs and coils..... codes will eventually show up when bad enough... If someone has a REAL GOOD code reader, they can see electrical miss fires for each cylinder REAL TIME..  I think its called Mode 6 or Mode 8.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 4:52pm
The charcoal canister was PLUGGED and not letting the vent BREATH and that stopped the filling of the tank... Now that that is fixed, you have a MINOR problem with a hose, check valve or gas cap that is continuing to give "the code".... but its not a RUNNING problem.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by fixer1958 fixer1958 wrote:

Joe the Evap cannister up by the radiator was pre civil war era. It's back by the fuel tank.
Slow fuel fill is the tank vent is plugged for whatever reason. Regardless of where you get the 'computer' it still has to be programmed and it ain't going to get done by just a scanner...You have to buy the software and have the hardware to do it and not likely to get it at harbor freight.Tongue

Mine is above the spare tire, 3' long,8" around, runs width wise under the bed
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 5:42pm
I have the same truck you have and I was chasing a skip. I ended up changing the spark plugs and two ignition coils. I need to change the evap canister because of slow fuel fill ups. If you can find an independent shop that has the Ford IDS laptop they can pinpoint the misfire cylinder and reset the KAM which is keep alive memory which is what disconnecting the battery would do which is why I recommended it. The ecm will go through a relearn when you reset the KAM. Sometimes that’s the only way to clear the codes.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 5:51pm
I will definitley take the time to unhook the battery. The plugs and boots were changed a month ago (plugs were shot at 160,00;I bought it with 120,000),pretty sure they had been changed though. The rear D/S coil had been replaced at some time because it has different #'s on it at a smaller "peg" that holds the boot spring,had to "pinch" the spring to make it stay on the peg to install back into the hole.
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 5:55pm
I had forgot you had changed the plugs. I have the Ford IDS and like everything else I wished you were close by I would check it for you lol. Did you install the motorcraft or the champion plugs?
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 6:02pm
MOTORCRAFT everything, even the canister (Rock Auto).
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 10:25pm
Did the cylinder drop issue start before or after the plugs were changed? I can tell from experience what Steve and Red are telling you is good advice, forget the 466 for now, that is not likely your cylinder drop issue. The coils, and/or the plug boots are notorious for nagging 'miss' issues. I really, really doubt your problem is the control module. also, as Steve says, could be an injector.
Clear the system like Red says, and then have a Ford dealer scan it. Ya, you will have to pay him, for the scan, but you are not required to have him do the repair.
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 6:05am
It is highly unlikely to be the ECM. They are built tough and frankly, NOT prone to 'random' partial failures. Dang thng would be $$$$$$ from Ford ! If you're truly convinced it's 'bad', goto wreckers and get one from the SAME year/model/drivetrain.Guy next door 'parts out' pickups,usually sells engine AND ECM as a package,but again ultra rare to have an ECM 'paritally fail'. Electronics generally dies, not OK, not, ok, ok, not.... If you know which cylinder, swap the parts with another,see where the next fault comes from. If the opriginal cylinder, swapped part is OK, so swap another, retest...
I hear about bad coil packs, new ones  ! Could vene be a bad plug, yeah I know 'new' BUT that doesn't mean 'defective'. I'd also unplug, grease, connect EVERY pair of connectors 'under the hood'.
My 77 F100 had the nasty, random habit of dieing..fun on the highway. Replaced 'everything under the hood' ONLY to discover one pin in a firewall connector wasn't properly seated........
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
bobkyllo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobkyllo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 6:26pm
Do not unplug all the connectors just to grease them. You very possibly could create more troubles then you have already.

You need to find a guy that has a scan tool with the ability to watch for miss fires or cylinder contribution problems.

Another thought that comes to mind is a bad injector. You might do an injector balance test hook up a fuel pressure guage and then one by one fire each injector. When you do this record the pressure before and after you fire each injector.

If that leads you to no good answer then the next thing is to watch some live data with the vehicle running. Is one bank running rich versus the other. That will all be found through the long and short term fuel trims. It's possible that you. Have a bad intake gasket. That would cause pirate air to get into the motor. That air was not accounted for by the vehicle and the computer will try and correct for it. The tool you'll need there is either a propane bottle and blow some propane around the intake and see if your motor responds to it. Another way is with a smoke machine.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 6:39pm
As a wrench buddy of mine says that owns his own shop; any codes coming up on a 5.4 should all just say"you are screwed" . . . .
Have yet to hear much good about that engine used in trucks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic