This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

440 value

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 440 value
    Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 8:42pm
 I am looking at a 440 and was wondering what one would be worth. It has no 3 point or pto. It also has a oring leak between the sleeves and block letting water into the pan, but does run. It also has duals on it. I was just needing a ballpark figure before I go look at it. Also how hard would it be to put 3pt and pto on it now? Could you find the parts to do it? Also I heard that the pto couldnt be used while its moving, is that right? thanks
Sponsored Links

SCPAAndy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCPAAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 9:40pm
everyone has different thoughts but on a bare back with engine work needing done i'd say not over $3000-$4000 bc good running units that can go straight to the field aren't much more
AndrewGubbels View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewGubbels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 12:32am
I have seen them sell for more than that actually in good condition.  I would say more the $4000-$8000 range.  The engine is the big kicker. I purchased mine with a newly gone through engine for $7,000.  It is a nice clean machine.  I hope this helps you out.  They are one neat machine!!

Andrew Gubbels
Gubbels Restoration
iranch(SESD) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iranch(SESD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 5:59am
There is no PTO available for the 440.  None had it and it would be very hard to make one work.  I've seen engines mounted between the rear wheels on the Stieger versions to provide PTO power, sounds like a pain in rear to me.

The 3 point was all welded to the rear frame.  Unless you can find a junker with the 3 point and swap rear halves it's not an easy swap.  Lot's of heavy duty welds to cut and clean.

Dennis
John (C-IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John (C-IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 7:48am
The motor being questionable is a real killer in that deal. The 555 Cummins was a terrible motor when it came OH time. Most that I have been associated with in fertilizeer equipment were junked and a new crate motor was installed. Without a motor you just have a really big yard ornament unless you have a source for cheap parts or the need for a parts tractor. I have to go with Andy and put a value somewhere in the $4000 range.
7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 8:09pm
He said he liked it because of the parts availability, but I havent seen very many 555's other than in the A-frame fertilizer spreaders. He had been running it until ten years ago just draining the oil out and adding new every so often. I just wanted an idea of what I might be getting myself into if I bought it. Its only 10 miles away from home. Could a person find a set of sleeves and pistons for it if I bought it?

Edited by 7060 - 08 Apr 2010 at 8:10pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic