This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

426 stock rods

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 426 stock rods
    Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 6:54pm
Stock 426 rods do not like high boost psi plus water a couple more hooks and block would have had some ventilation holes  A-C bought them not me, yeah even though they had one of the largest in house foundries in the world they still looked at outside companies to help cut costs

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Sponsored Links

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 7:11pm
Yup they are bent ! Isnt that something that they just couldnt do that right in West Allis or Harvey ; parts came from Japan , France , West Germany and im sure other countries, but everyone done it
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

Stock 426 rods do not like high boost psi plus water a couple more hooks and block would have had some ventilation holes  A-C bought them not me, yeah even though they had one of the largest in house foundries in the world they still looked at outside companies to help cut costs
Hey Coke, thanks for posting on here! The head gasket was letting coolant and compression trade places.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 10:57am
Unfortunately none of allis rods do well without being flame hardened to a harder rockwell and then when they fail they break and that usually gets the block. These after market slimline rods mass produced out of someones cnc machine if there not about 450 a piece. BE learey of them. If the material is hard enough then the machine time is great and everyone charges for machine time.some rockwell testing has been done on a prominant aftermarket rod and rocker manufacturer and his 4340 hardness was averaging 20. As one poster on the rod debate said 4340 comes in billet stock in about 15 different hardness. Do you know the hardness the rod manufacturer is purchasing and are you willng to just take his word for it.

Edited by mlpankey - 06 Mar 2013 at 11:07am
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 11:06am

Who's the prominant rod and rocker manufacturer you are refering to and where's your proof?

"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 11:10am
As you said once my information. I have learned is mine comes at my expense and its mine at my discretion to share with whom i like and whom not to because i do not like. You wi are not on the like list.coke however is. If i posted video you would stil try to diacredit. Cause you cant make aliving farming your trying to push me out of the engine machining buisness with made up lies.

Edited by mlpankey - 06 Mar 2013 at 11:14am
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 11:12am

Are you refering to a prominent rod and rocker manufacturer for the antique tractor pulling arena?  Small engine? Automotive?

Edited by wi50 - 06 Mar 2013 at 11:14am
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 11:24am
Wouldnt you like to know.its making you sweet thinking its yours isnt it. Not saying. I do buy some of my competitions stuff to have a quality check up on .
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 11:34am
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

Wouldnt you like to know.its making you sweet thinking its yours isnt it. Not saying. I do buy some of my competitions stuff to have a quality check up on .

Well I don't manufacture and sell rocker arms, so it's not me.
Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 11:57am
Here we go... again... 
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 12:19pm
at least spankey considers you a "prominant manufacturer" Marty.
Larry W. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 12:25pm

Panky code meaning he has no idea what the hell he's doing so he needs to buy someone elses parts to figure it out and then trash whoever he bought from when he can't replicate what has been done.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 12:28pm
Rod i consider marty a flunky .the leader of monkeys
cranky View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 12:42pm
i do not believe 4340 material can be annealed to a level of rockwell "C" scale of 20.  industry standards consider 24 to be lowest attainable
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by cranky cranky wrote:

i do not believe 4340 material can be annealed to a level of rockwell "C" scale of 20.  industry standards consider 24 to be lowest attainable

Thus the reason I was asking for proof from our village idiot.  He's lucky he picked 20 out of thin air.  He could have sounded slightly more intelligent had he mentioned the scale, HRB, HRC, etc.

Next time rember to cite your sources, provide proof and give a unit of measurement pankey.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 2:37pm

oh wow 24 makes it just fine for a connecting rod . Not a chance. china import metals arent worried with industry standards and your point is? 90,000psi yeild strength 4340 has a rockwell c of 18

Edited by mlpankey - 06 Mar 2013 at 2:49pm
Ihateillinoisnazis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ihateillinoisnazis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 2:50pm

oh wow 24 makes it just fine for a connecting rod . Not a chance. china import metals arent worried with industry standards and your point is?

http://www.interlloy.com.au/data_sheets/high_tensile_steels/4340.html

There ya go hillbilly, get an education.

Did anyone say Rockwell 24C was being used for connecting rods? Cranky was saying 24c is the lowest you will see 4340 on the Rockwell C scale you dope.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 2:57pm
quote your link (generally supplied )still not hard enough for all out performance connecting rod. like i said 90,000 psi yeild strength c scake 18.  If it files easy oldtime machinist trick its less than 40c

Edited by mlpankey - 06 Mar 2013 at 2:58pm
Ihateillinoisnazis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ihateillinoisnazis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 3:11pm

quote your link (generally supplied )still not hard enough for all out performance connecting rod. like i said 90,000 psi yeild strength c scake 18.  If it files easy oldtime machinist trick its less than 40c

You're a total idiot. Why does eagle, scat, and summit all supply performance rods made out of 4340?? Please tell us they are doing it all wrong.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 3:26pm
well their 4340 intermediate performance rods check in the 30s for hardness and the $1000.00 and up higher performance level 4340 rods have no lower than a 41c hardness. Idiots dont compare to know the difference . They think one and all is the same . as stated in a rod rebutile they are about 15 different hardness of 4340.  This is why their rods are sugested and limited to hp output . Really it should be rpms but In most car application hp goes up with rpms .

Edited by mlpankey - 06 Mar 2013 at 3:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic