This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

42 Millitary Issue B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 10:20pm

The more I look at the pictures the more I think it is a 1940 B. 40 Bs had handbrakes. All Bs had Foot brakes after B-52718. Shutters became available after B-43301. The throttle was moved up on the steering tube support. The tool box does not appear to have the battery delete piece. It looks like a one piece tool box. 

Both 40s I have electric start and generators. The BE blocks end in casting number 12 and have bosses on the block for the genny bracket.
Sponsored Links

outlook6 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlook6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 8:36am
Here' a view of the rear end and pintle hook.  This is as good a scanned image as I can get from the manual. 
Jim

outlook6 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlook6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 8:51am
BTW, does anyone recognize the PTO shield in the above posted image?  Is it from some other Allis Chalmers tractor or from another brand of tractor?  Thanks and regards.  Jim
Brad MI View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 9:45am
That PTO shield looks like one supplied by Monroe for use with their seat. 
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 11:31am
Jim,
Be sure to keep us posted on your progress.
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 4:15pm
The shield shown for the PTO in the above photo is factory. I have seen it on other 1940 B's.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 7:43pm
Seeing is Believing I guess. Is it Factory? I have about all the B parts books ever published and I can't find a (Farm use) factory shield that looks like the Military issue pictured. Only one shield, part number 210481 for B, IB and C is in the parts books. It probably came from AC built to special War Department specks. Fire extinguishers like pictured aren't in the AC parts books either. Or the grill gard.
   Has anybody noticed how narrow the Military issue seat cushion is. Farm seats go fender to fender.
Brad MI View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 8:08pm
I agree Ken, I've never seen a parts book with that PTO guard in it and I have a wide range of B parts books from real early to late. I've only found that guard on tractors with the Monroe easy seat along with the Monroe hydraulic lever mount.

I did notice that narrow seat and was thinking the plywood, or perhaps metal,  base must must reach the full width of the frame, or perhaps a couple shallow tool boxes one on each side? I'd like to get a more detailed look at that fire extinguisher also. 
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 8:11pm
That seat cushion looks like the one on my 1940 Potato B.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 7:37pm
Military PTO Guard. Terry Deans AC Data Book notes "In 1940 and after, a more substantial plate-steel PTO Guard with a warning transfer replaced the earlier sleeve-type guard without the transfer.
    The War Department probably did not like the sleeve-type guard either and the wrap over guard pictured was the result. At the same time the civilian PTO guard we are all familiar with was designed also.
     Outlook Jim wants us all to be  on the lookout for a 1940 B  Transmission, or Case Only. He is requesting  a SN between 35502 and 43896. Thats over 8000 out there someplace. 8394 to be exact. There is probably a hundred gatherng dust in somebodys  parts pile somewhere that could be used for this historical cloning
morton(pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morton(pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 7:44pm
I might have the whole tractor if he's willing to come to PA to get it. It's a 1940 for sure, I'll have to double check the serial number sometime.
GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 9:31pm
That pintle hitch on the horshoe drawbar seems woefully under engineered, IMHO.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine." - Mark Twain
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 10:37pm
I made a note in a previous post that shutters became available on a B after SN 43301 acording toparts book information. That would be a mid 40s 33502 being the beginning number and 49720 being the end number.
  The Military B had shutters as near as I can tell from the photos and reading the shutter operating instructions on page 7 of the TM 9 782 manual. This narrows the search for a close clone Trans/diff case to a SN after 43301. Not that many now if Jim is not looking for a SN after SN 43896. 595 units fall into this catagory and only 96 were painted OD green
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 10:44pm
I find it odd that the Radiator sectional view on page 37 of the T manual does not show shutters.
    Jim. Are you looking for a set of shutters ?
ChuckLuedtkeSEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 7:02am

I thought that I might have the right tranny but I just went out and looked at it, and it is B16504.  A little too early.

orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 7:19am

On the subject of not being able to identify a parts illustration or parts number for a specific part even though one may have "all" of the Parts manual for a "B" please bare in mind that the Design person(s) or Department responsible for the production of the manuals does not always list every single part or for that matter illustrate ever single part that is on a machine.  This would be particularly true for limited production machines that had slight variations, but were in fact , 99% the same as the standard production item.  Additionally, there are in existence "Allis Chalmers" factory books that list out the price of certain optional equipment for tractors and related equipment which there is no illustration ever provided.  The reference source of information is from the  Chief of Allis Chalmers Tractor Engineering circa 1930's - 1950's and is documented in print. 

Ken, good luck in your perserverance and study of the Allis Chalmers Miltary B.  Just wanted to provide some clarification and context to the discussion of the PTO guard. 
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 7:48am
This military B has my attention also. Being I'm a B kinda guy. I would say absolutely that's the reason the crank hangs out farther than snapping in its holder. It needed to be longer to go through the grille guard. From the pic, looks like the grille guard must be a least 6-8" out from the grille shell. Just my observation. Would love to see pics of your B when yer' done also. Should be pretty neat!
Steve@B&B 
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 7:57am
Forgot to mention. The Pintle hook looks similar to what we use today on our bucket trucks at work. Could've been made by Holland Mfg. Co. back then. I bet with some research, you could come up with a pretty close replica of it. I have an older Holland Pintle hook catalog I'll browse through at work. It shows the Industrial hooks that were available. That hook was probably specked out like the Power Co. spec's our hooks on the back of our trucks. The hook part itself looks very similar to the Holland PH125A with clam shell slide down lock.
Steve@B&B
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 8:28am
Look at Baum Hydraulics for a pintle hook.

Gerald J.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 10:47am

Jim has a pintle hook from off of a Allis Snow Tractor. I don't know enough about pintle hooks to know if it is the correct one needed to clone his B.

The only other Allis Tractor I have seen in full military dress was a D21 at the Arden NC GOTO.  I hope to see Jims B and that D21 side by side at a show one day.

Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 11:01am
Looks like maybe it was a hasty effort to get some iron for the war effort.  Probably did not make the cut for a long term supply contract.  
Curious they did not delete the PTO or use the IB layout to make it more like other industrial tractors.   
morton(pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morton(pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 5:54pm
IB was only in the beginning stages of production if I remember correctly. Prototypes were being made around that time.
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 6:03pm
Tyler,
The first IB's were built in Nov 1939. From Ken's note, I think we are talking about a very late 1940 tractor. I bet there is one or more of these Army B's in a boneyard somewhere in mid-Jersey (Raritan?) and I may just have to go hunting.....
GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 6:10pm
A military IB would seem to be a better option as Rick stated, especially cosidering there are IB's with a large airport tug type front guard.

Edited by GBACBFan - 06 Feb 2010 at 6:10pm
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine." - Mark Twain
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 6:15pm
I saw an early IB (from St Louis I think), that came from an airport. This was at the NY GOTO a few yrs back.
outlook6 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlook6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 8:07pm

Ken,
While I do not believe the M7 pintle hook would be correct I will probably use mine unless and until I find one that more correctly looks like the one in the TM.  The M7 pintle hook is identical to the IB pintle hook shown in the parts book.  Below is a copy of the id tag that was on my M7 hook that shows the AC part number to be 210629 (a match with the manual).

I'm going to make an assumption (for lack of any facts).  It is my guess that, assuming 96 tractors in 1940 is all the Model B's the Ordnance Dept. procured, they could have directed the pintle hook be one that was already being purchased for other vehicles.  The Army at that time did like to standardize, keep down the number of different part numbers, and have some interchangeablility of parts among different vehicles.  The reason they wouldn't have chosen the pintle hook used on the M7 snow tractor is because it didn't exist at that time.  The first M7's weren't delivered until 1944.

What would really be a boon to this discussion would be to find some actual dated photographs of this tractor in use, probably at some quartermaster depot or air corps flightline.  But until then we shall continue to opine.
Regards,
Jim

mdtractormechanic View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdtractormechanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2011 at 10:14pm
Any new info on this military B?
Joe's 1939 Model WC, 1940 Model RC, 1944 & 1950 Model C's, B-125 PU
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 7:49am
I will PM Jim for a M3 B progress report.
    I just read a PM from Armand Deyoung.  I mentioned above a Military D21 I saw at the GOTO in Arden NC. He knows of a Military 220 in TN that he made a model of. I may have made a mistake by calling a 220 a D21. Does anyone have a picture they could post of the BIG OD Green AC Tractor that I saw at Arden?
RyanTN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyanTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 9:12am
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 9:53am
I can't see how it attaches, but that PTO guard looks a lot like the one on my 35 WC.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic