This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

4 Row Planter/Row Unit ID

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 Row Planter/Row Unit ID
    Posted: 15 Sep 2024 at 1:01pm
I stopped by a garage sale and asked about this in the backyard, and they said they were going to cut it up for scrap so it came home with me instead. Is it a 500 planter frame? What series are the row units? I was thinking 50 series, but I'm having a hard time finding 52/52/54 etc. that look quite like these do.

One of the fertilizer boxes is rusted through and the drive wheel/tire is missing. The seed boxes have a small rust hole near the bottom on each of them. The plates might be corn? He wasn't sure and said his dad would've only ever planted milo with it, but these sure don't look like milo plates. Sunflowers?

One of the closing disk arms broke off and is missing, and the row markers have had a bunch of cobbling done to their mechanisms. I'll have to source plates for milo and anything else I'd plant with it. I'd attempt to ditch the fertilizer and fix the row units if I'm able to set them to something less than 30" rows. It will be a bit of a project if so - otherwise I may save it for parts.

1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2024 at 2:18pm
I can tell you for sure those plate are for Soybeans, now they may also be used for Milo, I can't be sure about that. Milo was never a crop around here.
 I've often seen 4 row planters like that cut in half and had 3pt hookup on them at the jockey auctions. Many times it would take numerous auctions before they actually left the jockey yard
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2024 at 7:26pm
We had 1 like it. I don't know for sure if this is right. We were told it's #500 frame and the ground drive row units with runners were #74 if have dual disc are #76 units.
 They were the same row units and dry fertilizer as on our #600 6x30" no till frame was why we drug it home. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2024 at 7:25am
It does look to be a model 500, not sure what row units.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2024 at 6:21pm
Thanks guys. I am convinced it is a 500 now after finding some manuals. Looks like it says it can only go as narrow as 28" rows with 50-series units in the 4 row version. I may do some measuring and see if anything narrower is possible.

I think the row units are 50-series but it has an odd combination of ground engaging pieces (runners, two disk openers, and two disk coverers in the rear). However the frame and drive don't line up with 70 series, and 100 series had a different depth adjustment mechanism. They must be some sort of 5X number that I haven't come across yet, or someone mixed some parts together to get what they needed.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2024 at 6:22pm
Also Paul, thanks for the tip on them being soybean disks. I never would've guessed that, but it lines up to what I'm finding in other pictures/part numbers. Those holes must have been for some big soybeans back in the day.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2 hours 2 minutes ago at 11:29pm
I spent an hour or two messing with the planter today. The plates are definitely 310992 bean/peanut plates. I think this would probably drop 5 or so beans at a time if I used it! Looks like Lincoln Ag has some much tighter sized plates.

The cutoff pieces in the bottoms of the boxes are pretty rough. Some parts are still available from AGCO but not all. I would need to replace at least a few. The row units do all seem to spin okay.

I measured and I don't think narrower than 28" is possible due to the location of the lift/transport wheels. After some thinking I realized the rear toolbars for my CA and B cultivators are 2.5" - same as this 500 planter frame. So, these row units should mount up to those toolbars. I may try to mount two of these to a B or CA. I'm hoping the B's hydraulics would be enough to lift 2 row units full of seed and I'm confident the CA's system would be good. Then I wonder if there would be enough down pressure without adding weight to the toolbar.

I also took some better pictures of the opening and closing disks, and the seeding rate chart if anyone needs it for future reference.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic