This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

301 gas options

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blazen orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 301 gas options
    Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 9:57am
Currently I have a 190xt gas and I can't quite keep up with the 4020 class in our area 7500 to 9500 lbs. I don't always get last but am generally 10 to 20 feet behind. I am mostly stock other than I run up to 3000 rpm never over. I was wondering if I could bore the sleeves to 4 inch and use pistons from a wd 45,and some cam and carb work if that would get me more in line with them. Cubic inch wise I know it won't but if I can get to 100 hp plus I should be good. Any thoughts would be great.
Sponsored Links

Shawn PA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 11:57am
Put a diesel engine in it   
blazen orange View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blazen orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 12:07pm
Pretty sure a non turbo 301 diesel would be enough and I still want to stick with the gas to be different.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 1:25pm
301 gas engine has more potential than a 301 no-turbo engine !! Your plan of a 4 inch bore only nets you 320 cubes.....not hardly worth the time and effort and WD-45 pistons won't fit on your 301 piston pins anyway. A much larger carburetor (7700 Deere combine??) and change of the intake manifold throat to attach the carb to would be the easiest and most bang-for-the-buck. Use racing fuel 110 octane and advance ignition timing up to and no more than 30 degrees BTDC. I've done two of those engines at 4 1/2" bore which turns into 405 cubes.
O.P.S. Heads View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 1:28pm
Installed diesel pistons. Same bore as your existing sleeves. Same wrist pin as your existing rods. Machine the piston bowls to lower the compression ratio to whatever you want - say 12:1 ratio. Might as well cut valve reliefs while you are machining the bowls. Get a hotter ignition system. Port and polish cylinder head. Faster ratio rocker arms. Maybe find a larger carburetor. That will increase the power dramatically at a low cost with relatively low effort.

Edited by O.P.S. Heads - 21 Jul 2016 at 1:32pm
Shawn PA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 1:55pm
I didn't know you was running a non turbo class
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blazen orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 2:17pm
Thanks for the ideas. I wasn't sure if the wrist pins were the same size or not but definitely need to increase air flow and fuel. I was hoping to stay on pump has though.
Bob C IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob C IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 3:04pm
Guy in effingham could probably cut you a cam if you need it.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 4:36pm
Why would you want to stay on "pump gas" ?? Are you thinking you can still farm with this engine after you install custom pistons and bore the sleeves?? and maybe change the camshaft ?? or whatever else you do to it. You can swap manifolds with a big carb installed and still farm with it, by swapping back to the OEM parts. My suggestion of better fuel was so you could advance the timing 5 degrees, nothing else. Timing could be set back for farming. Electronic ignition is a great idea and also works for the farm.
Bob C IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob C IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 4:48pm
My next project is a 301 on alcohol and turbo. Expect some serious setbacks so hordin parts now.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 5:03pm
I aplaude you for wanting to stick with the gas engine , I'm really thinking of doing this too as it would really make the other guys try to figure out how a gasser could beat them !
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blazen orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 6:13pm
I don't need to stay on pump gas cause it's becoming my play thing toy and was only hoping to but with that kind of compression it's obvious I would have to. Is aviation gas about that octain? I'm not sure. I realize it's going to require machine work but my wallet only goes so far and I'm just gathering ideas and thoughts. I also was checking into and have talked to the guy from c5 performance about there new ignition system and this sounds real promising as well.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 7:21pm
Install gasoline injectors and a turbo. Those two things, I would think, would do lots. Unless turbo is not allowed. I watched a 656 gas with turbo do pretty good last Saturday at LeRoy MN. There was a 560 gas with turbo too.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 7:24pm
Mack is on here and runs a bad ass XT gasser. ,,,, hopefully he will give some advise

Edited by DougG - 21 Jul 2016 at 7:24pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blazen orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 7:29pm
I've already thought about going to a turbo but that limits where I can pull. There is a 560 and a m around here that are turbo and they run real well also.
NA G301 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NA G301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 9:31pm
We are running a 190xt gas small axel 1966 in 5500 lb na class 8 mph 30% over 3000 max rpm .falowed advice of o p s used late model 7000 diesel Pistons so post to be 15.1 to 1 cut valve releaf and opened up boles lots of com running c12 and purrs lick kitten .1 7/8 carb muffy rockers cleaned up head msd ignition a lot off cheap fun . We need more cid to catch rd560 but we aren't that fare behind
KevinON View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 10:06am
The above tractor does run nice!!
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 9:02pm
Have you considered using E85? It works great with high compression ratios, as it is equal to 105 octane gas (it's way cheaper that racing gas) and places like our pulling club consider it to be "pump gas". The carburetor does need much richer jetting to work right, along with a higher temperature thermostat and a heat shield around the manifold to prevent icing. After working with it for a few years, I've had very good results. The chilling effect it has on the manifold gets much more Air/Fuel mixture into the cylinder on the non turbo tractor than you'd get with racing gas.  I run both our pulling tractors on it. One CA has a turbo and the other doesn't.  I'd challenge anything that weighs 2500 pounds or less to come pull against us and see how we do. I've just gotten done with getting a Holley (like used on a 190) to work with the E85 on the non turbo CA and it is pulling better than it did with the big M/S.  This video is both tractors running the 3000 pound class. The non turbo tractor runs 2nd gear and the turbo tractor is in 3rd.

[TUBE]http://youtu.be/73L8j9b4jdE[/TUBE]

Edited by PaulB - 22 Jul 2016 at 9:10pm
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blazen orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 12:03pm
I have thought about e85 and a turbo setup. But that limits what class I can pull in. Although it's not completely ruled out yet.The ideas so far have given me lots to think about for my winter build.
NA G301 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NA G301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 6:09pm
NA G301 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NA G301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 7:05pm
okay whats my next step , will a cam help at 3000 rpm and still lug and pull down or save my money and go to 400 cid. Tractor is running very well and we are starting to get a feel fore it.Have dun all the things talked about by ops and Dr  ,ran 2nd 3rd place last 2 times out looking fore ideas the case tractor that beet us on saturday  only has 500 cubs more then the 301,we may just see how close we can get and plan for the next motor
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 8:00pm
It appears that they are few "rules" for this class. Considering what you've done thus far, if it was mine, I'd built a new intake manifold and have TWO carbs with the air inlets opposite of each other and install engine side covers to cover the secret weapon. How do you think you can compete against 800 cubic inches with 301 cubes?? Might be able to shift up one gear but even in the same gear the RPM's should be much greater.
NA G301 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NA G301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 9:07pm
Rules are not that bad in this class 8mph seed limit has reely helped .We pull on a wide range of tracks the big case is at disavantage on a poor track. He is a good competiter and sum times i beet him .The natpa chart gives the case 1950 rpm@ 30% over or 1.5 mill cub feet if we go to 400 cid @3000 rpm we get 1.2 and with a bigger rpm range we hope to give him a good run. Back to my question on cam,s is there  more power to be had or will i just move the torque cure around       
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic