This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3 Point Hitch ID - Probably Not AC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3 Point Hitch ID - Probably Not AC
    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 7:18pm
Anybody have any clue what tractor this might go to? I was mushroom hunting and stumbled across it in one of my fencerows. I'm not sure if the strap with two holes and two bends in the middle goes with it, but it was laying right next to it. The paint seems to be mostly reddish.

The sort of U-shaped piece that connects to the lower arms and bolts to the tractor is maybe 1" diameter, so I don't think this could've been for a very big tractor. I've looked at everything I could find for IH (Super C, Cub, 140, 300, etc.) and Case (VAC, SC, etc.) starting with that reddish paint.

I found one reference to a guy on eBay parting out a JD 2010 that had a lower arm that was the same as mine with the same casting number except ending in M8 vs. mine ending in M1, but of course it was green: https://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHN-DEERE-2010-LIFT-ARM-3-POINT-PULL-ARM-491045M-/224323799551?nma=true&si=cx%252BhqqoW%252FGKYUrRHMtFe4Vyi%252BVk%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
The pictures of a 2010 3 point hitch don't line up with this setup so who knows where that lower arm came from on eBay.

I see what I think are BFH and BFL cast into the lower arms. I was wondering if it was for an Avery/MM BF but nothing I could find online looked like this setup.

There is also an L inside a circle in the lower arms which I am guessing is the foundry's mark - that seems to be a dead end too. I'm hoping one of you guys knows what it is or recognizes the part numbering scheme from some brand I'm not familiar with.

1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Sponsored Links

nickia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 7:27pm
Ford?  just a guess
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by nickia nickia wrote:

Ford?  just a guess

Good point, since they had red paint too. The Fords all seemed to bolt the lower arms to the underside of the rear end, no u-shaped piece needed.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 10:02pm
That got me thinking... Ford... Ferguson... Masseys were red. The link below shows what are definitely the lower arms I have. The RH lift link is missing from this ad, but I've found the RH link and adjustment crank on other Masseys and they look identical. Steiner even has some replacement parts for the 3-point.

I'm not sure what would've used the u-shaped piece up front, so I have some more digging to do. I guess it's also possible that it's a homemade deal for a different tractor.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 10:10pm
Aha. This is exactly what I have shown on a Massey 44.

The u-shaped piece must be a stabilizer. The ends of the lower arms are bolted more solidly to the bottom of the rear end.

Wonder why someone dropped it off in the fence row decades ago.
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 11:42pm
1 of your pics is of a parts number; 2 sets of 3 numbers, followed by 1 letter, followed by 1 number. That should be a Massey Ferguson part number. At least thats what they had pre 70's up to mid 90's. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 9:25am
I wonder if the U shaped piece would've stood up and acted as the third link?
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 3:10pm
Massey Harris,, the U shaped piece is a sway bar of sorts...I had a 44 MH special that had that 3 point hitch, the U piece came in cat 1 and cat 2 widths
This would have some value to a MH person

Edited by Michael V (NM) - 20 Apr 2021 at 3:12pm
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 8:40pm
Thanks guys. Here's one of the pictures from the Nextech ad I linked to above which shows how the u-shaped piece is used (not what I originally thought but makes much more sense as skinny as it is).

Now I have to do some digging to see if my great-grandfather ever had a Massey-Harris. I know he first farmed with an unstyled John Deere (probably A), and my grandfather thought he had a Farmall in the later years, but maybe he had a Massey in between, or maybe my grandfather saw the red Massey when he visited and had it as a Farmall in his memory? This will be a tough one to research. Otherwise it could've been off of a renter's tractor.

That will help me decide if I should sell/trade this for AC stuff or go out and find a MH 44.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic