This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2-71 detroit/HD5G

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2-71 detroit/HD5G
    Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 3:55pm
I went  and did some work on my recently acquired (but not home yet) HD5G yesterday, and just as a suspected it may do, the engine was a run-away when it started. I was able to shut it down with no problems, but I guess that the remedy for the run-away two stroke detroit is new injectors, right? Any one out there with some good advice or helpful hints on changing these injectors, or am I completely on the wrong track? I am kind of pressed for time, because I am sure that the lady who had the auction would like to see it out of her yard, and I would like to have it running, for easier loading and unloading when hauling it home. All help appreciated, thanks. Darrel
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 4:09pm
Run away could be low fuel or stuck rack or governor.
 Remove the rocker cover and you will see the injectors and the rail that controls them . the rack adjustment is getting both injectors to move the same amount at the same time when the linkage is moved.
 Injector timing is done with a pin gauge to set the height of the injector piston to the top of injector body. a pin gauge is used for this or a depth scale on a vernier calaper could be used in a pinch.
 As you move the throttle lever the rack should respond to the movement, if not look for binding in governor housing . By pulling the shut off lever it closes the fuel down all the way on the injectors through governor housing lever on top as well as air supply to blower.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
q4016lanz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote q4016lanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 6:00pm
Hi guys one of ours HD5s we check it before we started it the rack in the injector was stuck and the same on a 353gm we recently got the rack it was stuck wide open we pulled them out and cleaned them got the rack moving again it started and runs sweet hop this helps cheers john
15 allis chalmers tractors

9 lanz bulldog tractors

2 water cooled deutz

9 john deeres tractors

14 Aus made orange chamberlains

I spent most of my money on old tractors I wasted the rest
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 7:25pm
Thanks guys, I hope to get back over to it soon and take the valve cover off and see what I see. I'll keep you posted. Darrel
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 9:16pm
One thing , they suggest replacing the injector lines IF they are removed from head or injectors. They are snug to fittings , NOT tight, the double flare fittings have a tendency to crack when torqued to much. Care is needed when working with them.
 The linkage should move easily and the gear rack on injectors also should feel loose when moved.  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 10:27am
Update: There was one injector stuck. I put in two re-man injectors and she runs like a champ, except for the fact (as you will see in my prior post) that the steering clutches are stuck. Also, where is the serial number located on this outfit; I can't seem to find it. Darrel
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 10:33am
Srl # is on tag on lower right side of dash , small plate mounted there and also on rear case stamped into back face of the housing .. If it is a 5 G that will be covered by counterweight and not readable least easily...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic