This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

220 engine rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAMSI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2023 at 10:48pm
On my 210 engine, the splines are on what I would call the back end of the pump shaft.  They are on the end that extends into the injection pump.  Sounds like you have what I would describe as similar to a very large flat blade screwdriver.  Can you post some pictures of the spray/burn pattern on the top of your old pistons?  I would like to see how they compare to my pistons after the failure.  How many of your pistons were scored and how badly?  I would like to see pictures of those too.
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2023 at 6:37am
All 210/220 injection pumps are 4-roller "DC" series (DCGFC631) pumps and are static timed at 24 degrees BTDC. The D-21 is also a DC pump but without a timing advance and is static timed at 34 degrees BTDC. The splined injection pump drive shaft cannot be connected incorrectly to the pump unless one would force it together. The internally splined governor weight carrier inside the injection pump is also splined and CAN be assembled wrong without issue. If this is done incorrectly the timing marks in the timing window of the injection pump are wrong and the pump can then be timed incorrectly.
JM185 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JM185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2023 at 11:35am
I did get pictures of the pistons but I do not know how to put them in a post. I'll nedd instruction on how to do that. Numbers 1 through 4 were still in good shape but 5 and 6 were trashed. I believe there was ring butting in all cylinders due to all of the liners having varying degrees of scoring. The injection pump from this engine is labeled DBGFC637-11GR. I do know this is not the original unit but i'm not sure what it came off of. It has been overhauled and set to 220 specs. It was initially timed 180 off and was set off of number 6 on the previous installation. It was then sent back to be evaluated after the engine failure. The information I got was that it checked out fine and they adjusted the timing marks so that this time it will be correct to number one. The injectors were also gone through this time around.   
JAMSI View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAMSI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2023 at 3:33pm
WOW!
This sounds like the exact set of circumstances that led to my engine failure.  All of this damage caused by the pump being rebuilt incorrectly and thinking that all will be fine if we just time it off of cylinder number six instead of number one.  There is something about these pumps that when they are assembled wrong the timing marks are off by more than the 180 expected degrees.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2023 at 5:03pm
DBGFC637-11GR is not a 4-roller/4-plunger 210/220 pump. It is a 2 roller/plunger pump made for a 95 PTO HP engine. I don't have time to get the specific application, but it ain't right. If a 2-roller pump is "turned-up" to make 135 PTO HP, it is delivering the fuel thru too many crankshaft degrees of rotation, which will make exhaust temps higher. This DB style pump would have a flat tang drive shaft, not a fine splined drive shaft. Which is it. ?? EDIT:  *** 11GR is a pump for a 200 tractor if the tag on the pump is legit.***

Edited by DrAllis - 08 Jul 2023 at 5:33pm
JM185 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2023 at 5:19pm
It is the flat tang drive type.
JM185 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2023 at 5:21pm
I don't know how to change the size of the picture. It;s a miracle I even got it there.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2023 at 5:34pm
Flat tang drive and 11 GR are a 200 injection pump, not a 210 or 220.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2023 at 7:02am
A model "DB" series (2-plunger/2-roller)pump with the governor weight retainer assembled wrong is exactly 180 degrees off as it can only be assembled 2 ways.  A model "DC" pump's (4-plunger/4-roller) governor weight retainer can be assembled more than 20 ways wrong (I don't remember the exact spline count) and may not be exactly 180 degrees off.  When one takes a 95 HP DB pump and magically "turns it up" to (supposedly) deliver 135 HP worth of fuel, the timing mark scribed on the governor weight retainer is now WRONG and timing is actually advanced even tho timing marks are aligned during pump installation.  So, if the repair person actually took the time to correctly re-scribe the timing mark due to the overfueled pump settings, the end of injection is more degrees later than the engine designer wanted, causing high exhaust temps.  Any way you look at it, a DB pump adjusted to deliver DC fuel output is doing so in toooo many crankshaft degrees of rotation for an engine that has to work for a living.
JM185 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 6:27pm
JAMSI, here is the picture of pistons 5 and 6.
JM185 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 7:02pm
The updated rod bolt kits I got from AGCO are of a 12 point head design and 3/32 longer than the old bolts. Also the length of thread is about 1/2 shorter. I run out of threads at the point the bolt starts to contact the cap. So it's looking like i'll be re-using the bolts I have. The old bolts are of a socket head design and according to the new bolt literature, is a mid production range engine application. Getting back to the pump, were they made in both flat tang and spline drive configurations? Will the drive gear and flat tang shaft from a 301 interchange with a 426? I'm just trying to figure out how it ended up like it is if it's not a possibility it came from the factory this way. After the cost of getting the current pump rebuilt, i'm not sure if buying another is an option, along with the mating shaft.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 7:19pm
426 engines NEVER had the flat tang drive or pump. The parts interchange, yes, but they aren't correct for a 426. Gear from 301 to 426 are different. Throw those old rod bolts away and figure out what's wrong with your new ones. Are they missing a flat washer ??
JAMSI View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAMSI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 8:29pm
Hello,

When I did my engine, I got the bolts from Schmidt and Sons in Hope KS.  They mistakenly sent me 24 bolts as they were packaged 2 per package not one per package.  There was one package of bolts that were different, maybe an older design.  Seems like they were black oxide in color.  The bolts you want to use are actually manufactured by ARP and are stamped as such on the head of the bolt.  They are bright steel color and fit perfectly in my rods.  I too was replacing the socket head design bolts.  As I recall, the ARP bolts neck down in diameter between the threaded area and the 12 point head.  I guess I would need to look at what you actually are seeing but when you say you run out of threads, isn't that at the point the bolt necks down in diameter?  Does it bottom out on the threaded area or does it still allow the bolt to torque pulling the cap tight?

I do not know anything about the pump shaft other than my engine had the splined shaft, not the tang.  I do have a couple of 200's and I know they have the tang as you speak of.

About your pistons and sleeves.  Does the scoring go all the way to the top of the ring travel area and all the way around the cylinder sleeve as mine did?  Or do the rings look fine and the scoring is all below the rings, only coming as far up the sleeve as the oil ring and only scored in the areas the skirt is scored?

Side note:  We spent the last couple of days testing the expansion rate of the original pistons compared to the aftermarket pistons I think both of us have been using.  Hopefully we will be posting the results of our testing in the form of a YouTube video very soon.  Maybe by Sunday.  I'll give you a little spoiler.  In our professional opinion, don't hone any extra clearance into the cylinders.  Do make sure you have adequate piston ring end gap.  Even my original sleeve assemblies did not have more than .004" from the factory.  Very similar to how the aftermarket sleeve assemblies come out of the box.

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 9:46pm
JM185... when you download the photo to insert, the next line says "width"  "height" ... make that 800 and 600 and you will get the right size..

Edited by steve(ill) - 12 Jul 2023 at 9:48pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2023 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by JM185 JM185 wrote:

The updated rod bolt kits I got from AGCO are of a 12 point head design and 3/32 longer than the old bolts. Also the length of thread is about 1/2 shorter. I run out of threads at the point the bolt starts to contact the cap. So it's looking like i'll be re-using the bolts I have. The old bolts are of a socket head design and according to the new bolt literature, is a mid production range engine application. Getting back to the pump, were they made in both flat tang and spline drive configurations? Will the drive gear and flat tang shaft from a 301 interchange with a 426? I'm just trying to figure out how it ended up like it is if it's not a possibility it came from the factory this way. After the cost of getting the current pump rebuilt, i'm not sure if buying another is an option, along with the mating shaft.
Correct pump not in the cards? Did you understand what Doc said about fuel delivered from that pump to make the power you're after? 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 9:03am
Another thread jogged my memory of past engines and HP ratings. Gleaner combines in that 1970 to 1977 ish time frame used a 301 engine rated at 105 flywheel HP and used the "DB" 2-roller/2-plunger injection pump.  Then, basically the same engine was re-rated up to 120 flywheel HP and had the "DC" 4-roller/4-plunger injection pump. ALL 426 engines never used a DB pump, but only the DC and later on the DM-4 (4-roller/4-plunger) Stanadyne injection pumps.
JM185 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2023 at 6:02pm
I have to make a correction on my previous post concerning the rod bolts. They are correct and will work. I had threaded them into the rod by hand and they stopped short. I'm figuring, due to the extra length they are going into previously unused threads and are snug. Carefully using a wrench they went in plenty far enough to do the job. That one is on me.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 9:21pm
2 years ago I had to pull the rods out of my 8070. Got another set of ARP AGCO bolts for reinstallation. One out of the 12 would not thread in by hand. It got quite firm and I quit. Tried different bolt in same hole...no problem. Run a fine thd nut on with same results. Took it back and dealer replaced set which worked fine. Nothing visable to naked eye. Point is ...you could have faulty pieces.
JM185 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2023 at 7:03pm
I was able to get all the bolts in without issue. The rods are off to get magnafluxed and if there are no issues I can proceed with having the machine work done. Does anyone have any pointers on where a good place to source the correct injection pump and shaft it mates to? Am I correct in thinking I can swap the shaft in the gear and not have to get a different one?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2023 at 8:41pm
Gear accepts both shafts.
JM185 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2023 at 8:46pm
I was able to find the spline shaft for the pump drive. The rods checked out good with no cracks. What are the numbers on the pump I need to be looking for? Also, What is the torque spec for the 7/16 bolt in the end of the camshaft? Once I get the parts back from the machine shop I can get the rotating assembly put together. There will be a bit of a wait until I get all that done. I greatly appreciate all of the help I have received here. I'm not sure if this post is getting too old. Should future updates on this project go in a new post or continue on this one?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2023 at 10:06pm
210/220 pump is a DCGFC631 XXXX.   Grade 8 camshaft nose bolt is 70 ft lbs I think I remember.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2023 at 10:06am
i would just add to this thread.....
JM185 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2024 at 1:26pm
I found a core injection pump from a power unit, not sure of the engine model. DCGFC629 2LQ. Will this pump be correct?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2024 at 1:39pm
Not for a 220.       631  not 629
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2024 at 1:42pm
It can be made to work good for it though, upon proper rebuild. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
JM185 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2024 at 8:40pm
Just curious on the differences between 629 and 631. Would there be anything tricky involved with the rebuild to get it set right for that engine? I haven't bought this pump yet and wanted to know if I should take this one or keep looking. Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic