This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

22.5 truck tires?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 22.5 truck tires?
    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 12:16pm
I'm looking to put a new set of drive tires on my Freightliner.  Checking online, I see prices anywhere from $230 for "Terra King" tires made in China to over $700 for Goodyear's.  I put maybe 2000 miles a year on the truck but want something reliable.  Anyone have a recommendation for a reasonably priced but good quality 11R22.5 tire?  I've been running caps for years but at least one a year blows out, getting tired of this.

Edited by JohnCO - 23 Nov 2018 at 12:17pm
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Sponsored Links

Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:36pm
Reasonably priced and good quality may not match up. I really don't like the made in China tires but $700 for GoodYears seems a bit steep since they will dry rot way before you wear them out. I would probably try for something in the mid range. You might could find some take off's but you really wouldn't know what you are getting and a lot of places won't sell them because of liability issues.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:10pm
We've been getting a Hankook tire for the trucks at work. I have no idea of the price. they do wear good and the casing hold up well. The boss just put a full set of drives on my truck back in the spring and they were only about half worn. He gave me the take offs for my Astro. When I was an OO I never could get the tread on a Goodyear to outlast the casing, they would always blowout long before the tread wore down. At one time I was getting bias ply Dunlop trailer tires that seemed to last forever.

Edited by PaulB - 24 Nov 2018 at 6:27am
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:54pm
Used to be Firestones were not too bad for wear and age rot, as noted GY were blow out prone, have used almost all out there with Kelly's as reasonable as well both in wear and capability. I like Bridgestone(Firestone co) Daytons, Dunlops, Kellys and few others. Hankook has the prize on price but I have not experience to know if good or bad.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 7:45pm
Caps can be a good deal IF you get the first set on the casings and not the 3rd or 4th time they have been capped . 
 Then the capped casing along with tread band need to be good materials - I bought one set of caps and they made it around 20,000 and were worn down out of spec , when I bought them they were suppose to be matched casings - nope 3 of 8 were either larger by quite a bit when mounted and aired .  The 3 I traded back in were smaller so it took another trip to get 8 matching tires 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 9:18pm
John the majority of drive tires I sold for dump trucks and local haul semis were Firestone 663's. I just checked with 2 of my old truck tire suppliers. Firestone FD 663's should cost you $400.00 to $450.00 each put on the truck + get of about 24.00. I may have missed it, did you need lo pros or tall 22.5's. They were within a few dollars of one another. The FD 663's are a traction - open shoulder drive tire. I have been out of the tire business 12 years and gosh, these things have increased dramatically in price. I used to sell them for around $250.00 each mounted. We also sold a lot of Coopers in a similar tread pattern but I cannot remember the tire number. My other tire supplier has apparently gone to Chinese or Goodyear tires. A lot of over the road truckers ran Goodyear's but our rock roads were real hard on them. Good luck with your decision.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 23 Nov 2018 at 9:35pm
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 11:23pm
Thanks for all the information, guys.  I think I'll check with a  couple tire dealers around here and see what they have.  The cap's I've bought in the past were at farm auctions and I think the tires were out of date and the dealer just took them to the sale to get rid of them.  Only paid $45 each for them but I had one blow on the way to an auction and it pretty much removed the fender. Another time one blew less then a mile from home at the end of a 80 mile trip.   BTW, I run new tires on the steering axle, not totally crazy!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 11:42pm
I used to run Firestones and now use Yokohamas.One is as good as the other and Yoko is usually better buy.These are lo pro 24's.Last set 18 months ago were $400 each.Two yrs before that,$430. 22.5's are some cheaper.Get some big camper tire covers and keep the sun off. Would bet 10yrs good life with occasional use if you keep them out of the sun.If you can stand straight treads,buy trailer tires(less tread depth-cheaper).You probably won't wear them out.

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 23 Nov 2018 at 11:45pm
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:14pm
John ask about Bandag (close anyway) brand caps. I am out of date so may have changed, but 40 years ago they were considered better than a new tire if the casing was good.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:51pm
Uniformity is a KEY to whatever longevity is possible, depending on the brand you buy. Myself, I've had good results from buying Firestone. But Other less expense brands have also proven good(Kelly, etc).

Mismatched heights, balance, & treads can quickly wreck more than just tires.
For what it's worth - Large Freight companies used to invest in their own, in house retread tire business(maybe they still do?). Their KNOWN QUALITY of their own produced RECAPS proved financial beneficial. That and their governed engine speeds to limit their trucks to a MAXIMUM SPEED of 58 mph, largely reduced HEAT buildup in loaded tires(back when 55mph was limit). And not to forget, their committment to an almost religious tire maintenance replacement schedule.
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 2:56pm
I'd sure stay away from the recap, can get some cheaper virgin tires for what caps cost.
if ya don't need a tire for mud an snow, an 'all position' tire will be less and prolly last lot more miles.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 8:46pm
BFG makes a very good drive tire and I agree that the Hankooks are good. I always preferred a closed shoulder tire. You won't get near the uneven tire wear, especially if you get them X rotated when you start to see uneven tread wear.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by LeonR2013 LeonR2013 wrote:

BFG makes a very good drive tire and I agree that the Hankooks are good. I always preferred a closed shoulder tire. You won't get near the uneven tire wear, especially if you get them X rotated when you start to see uneven tread wear.

At 2000 mi a yr ole John will be gone before he has uneven wear patterns showing up.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 8:24pm
That's kind of a depressing statement, Steve, but probably true!
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 9:45pm
John, don't feel to bad. I just turned 50, and in need of steer tires on my truck. Figure they will be the last set I buy. Like you I don't put many miles on. Maybe 1000 a year. Definitely not worth putting Michelin's on! I've had good luck with Sampson's on steers.

Edited by truckerfarmer - 25 Nov 2018 at 9:48pm
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 9:55pm
My FedEx Home Delivery truck had 22.5" on it.  I had one pair regrooved, so ran them on the back.  Sold the truck with the route, had to drive it for a month till the deal was completed.  Sure as shootin', blew a rear like a week before the deal was done!  Cost me $900 for a pair installed.  This was August of 2005, and I don't remember the brand.  
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 11:42am
Rumor I heard was the caps are supposed to be better than in years past

I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic