This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2018 gardens

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 8:41am
All the rain lately, around 10" in a week has just about ruined my garden! Tomatoes took a real beating. Try to dust plants for bugs and it washes off in a day or two. Try again next year. Carrots do look pretty good though.
Sponsored Links

ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 8:10pm
All the rain did a number on most of our gardens!---late rains are the worst!!
I didn't get the late turnips planted this year, but the early ones did ok.
part of the melon area.

the white grapes

white peach tree split in wind

hubbard squash

sweet tater row!

the 3 different kinds of grapes that we had a crop from this year.--1 kind didn't produce this year and is a table type grape for fresh eating.
We made 70 some quarts of grape juice and a 25 quarts of peach juice plus 7 quarts of peach sauce.
The watermelons went ape this year and a lot of people got their fill of them this year!
More pix. later!! LOL!!!!
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 9:38pm
have not got jack squat from my garden yet,,,,,
peppers are just plants and buds, but nothing else.
tomato, ditto.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 1:32am
I love them red grapes. I froze sum last year, thems really good eating!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 5:11am

Well,,,,,,,,,,,, I don't plant a garden as it is a waste of time and money,,,Our water co-op is prolly the most expensive in the country,,so you gotta rely on the rains,,,which we don't get,,,,but,,,,but,,,,the rocks and the goat heads been doin  pretty good,,tho,,,,WinkLOL
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 9:43am
Only planted pumpkins this year due to dealing with my parent's estate.

Planted Burpee's "Jack 'O Lantern" variety and must have been mis-labled/mis-package. 

Supposed to be 18-24 lbs, ideal for carving, planted so they would be ready late September/early October. Picked them last week, completely orange, only about 10 lbs and the size of a youth soccer ball. 
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 9:42pm
We run into mis-labled seeds a lot in the last few years! Had acorn squash this year,---but wrong color!

some of the sweet potatoes.---We started to dig them because the mice are diggin among them!! gotta watch closely so they don't destroy the potatoes!!
Got more pix. for later, since site won't let me post another pic. in this post!! LOL!!! thanks; ac fleet

ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 7:50pm
finally got harvest done!
this was the biggest tater, at 6.5 pounds. a LOT of the crop was from 3 to 5 pounds and are not a bit stringy.

some of the sweet potatoes and a pic. of the little chesnut tree. this year it had a gallon of nuts on it.
The bag of peanuts is part of the 150 pounds that the short row produced.
Started sub-soiling but got rained out, so about half the gardens didn't get done. Now trying to moldboard plow as much as I can before the ground freezes.
Garden in general did good this year despite the long dry growing season. Guess my water hauling paid off! thanks; ac fleet
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

finally got harvest done!
this was the biggest tater, at 6.5 pounds. a LOT of the crop was from 3 to 5 pounds and are not a bit stringy.

some of the sweet potatoes and a pic. of the little chesnut tree. this year it had a gallon of nuts on it.
The bag of peanuts is part of the 150 pounds that the short row produced.
Started sub-soiling but got rained out, so about half the gardens didn't get done. Now trying to moldboard plow as much as I can before the ground freezes.
Garden in general did good this year despite the long dry growing season. Guess my water hauling paid off! thanks; ac fleet
ac fleet, what a green thumb you have. Wish you were closer, I would pay you a visit. Would love to see how a pro does it! Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 8:22pm
My Pea (SOUTHERN) pickin is at its end  for 2018.  The last patch of Mississippi  Purplehulls are getting stung bad by stink bugs . So bad that half of what I shell is a waste of time  to sort out the junk..  Like the deer eating more than half the green pods wasn't enough.
    Set out 300 Chandler Strawberry plants and still Pickin Summer Squash and Cucumbers. Pepper plants are loaded with nice green bells.
     Way to much rain lately. Need some sun.   Temps are going down  into the 40s at night  next  week.

Edited by Ken in Texas - 14 Oct 2018 at 2:27am
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 12:43am
yeah...I wishes you was closer too, I could prolly borrow some of them melons and peaches!
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 8:34am
Well you beat me on the sweet taders.  My big boy only weighed 4.3 lbs.

all in all though I had a super bad year for gardening.  Ex, my bell pepper plants set there all season looking bad and did not produce one pepper.

Late turnips were good though, just bush hogged the patch yesterday, man did that create an aroma.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 8:48am
As sheriff Martin Brody would have said "gonna need a bigger pan". Thumbs Up

Them some monster taters.

We got plenty of beans and cabbage, most of everything else didn't seem to be able to swim long enough to make it.   (Just south of Duluth) 

Edited by chaskaduo - 14 Oct 2018 at 8:55am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 1:55pm
    most of everything else didn't seem to be able to swim long enough to make it.  

Now that's funny,,Chask,,,,,,,LOLLOL
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 2:05pm
Well, 2018 is in the books for me. They say the happiest two days of a boat owners life are the day you buy it and the day you sell it. I think gardening is similar. The day you plant and the day in the fall that you plow! I did have a good carrot crop this year, after the last two years of one carrot each year. Don't know what I did different.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 1:53pm
Yes thems some good looking carrots
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 3:19pm
I only disk in the fall, then plant cereal rye.
In the spring I plow and disk.
Maybe I should try plowing in the fall?
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by BrianC BrianC wrote:

I only disk in the fall, then plant cereal rye.
In the spring I plow and disk.
Maybe I should try plowing in the fall?

Brian, I like to fall plow then disc in the spring. Don't know that your way might be better? Just the way I've always done it. The soil does weather down nicely over the winter.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 7:38am
Brian, my readings also indicate to plow in the fall.  That supposedly messes up all the plans that grubs and the like have/ were making for the following year.  Smile
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 8:11am
Originally posted by tadams(OH) tadams(OH) wrote:

Yes thems some good looking carrots

Just wish I knew the secret to get them to grow every year!
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 9:14am
I also run the rotary cutter over the corn before fall discing.

I plow the cereal rye under in the spring. Sometimes because it is too wet, I have to delay the plowing, then plant the corn immediately next. Supposedly, that is not good to plant so soon after terminating the rye. I like plowing under the rye, it is mesmerizing.
This year we were wet in the fall. After I planted the rye (Oct 9) we got 3" rain, standing water for 4 days in the low spots. That low spot rye didn't germinate. But mostly it is 3" tall now. Because we had a big family party Sept 30, I was encouraged to leave the corn standing later than normal. Then it got wet...

Next year I will try plowing in the late summer fall, and plant the rye earlier.  Maybe I will also run a field cultivator, deep, perhaps that would allow better drainage.
Could run the field cultivator in early spring also, during a dry spell, before plowing.
So then if it rained just before I wanted to plow, it could have dried some.

The water table is high- 3ft down. Any advice to get the plot to drain better is appreciated.

My 3 foot wire fence (150 ft per sid) with a hot wire low and high kept the raccoons out. Last year they got me badly with no fence.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 9:53am
Crazy wet fall drown most of my turnips but I got 3 good messes from the high spots. Noticed several holes where turnips should have been, now don't get me wrong, I like my neighbors but they're too lazy to walk a half a quarter to pick a vegetable even when I give it to them, now if I pick it, clean it and take it to them they'll gladly accept it all. Further inspection revealed deer tracks, if it has the same effect on them as it does cows they will fertilize the neighborhood well.
Maximum use of available resources!
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 10:03am
i grow about a 1/2acre of garden  , about 1/4  at a time so i can summer fallow with the garden tractor thats my entertaiment part  i grew the best potatoes i ever  have this year and finally got a few peanuts been trying to go peanuts for four years  ithink the secret to large potatoes and any kind of peanut crop is lots of potash , carrots are always a foot long my tomatos were not good this year was covering them before i started even getting tomatoes
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 7:16pm
In our gardens here, I subsoil 36" deep,then plow 12 to 18" deep.---I do realize that not everyone has that much topsoil, so depth would have to be whatever your area would allow.
I have found that deep and loose with all the organic matter you can beg and mix in will help.--then use lots of commercial fertilizer along with it.
One hint:---Richer ground means faster/bigger weeds and a rash of BIG bugs!! LOL!!!--so be ready! thanks; ac fleet
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 5:37pm
I should try sub-soiling 36" deep. Yup. I would need a bigger tractor, got to get it...
We have a "dedicated tractor for every implement" mandate at my place.

What do you use (tractor/implement), do you really go 36" deep, or that how long the ripper(s) is?  And does it really help, even with standing perched water?
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 1:16pm
Better get a dozer with a ripper on behind as wet as it is here a wheel tractor wouldn't get far.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 8:20pm
Picked up a bin of 50 some hog melons yesterday.   Got there for them just as they pulled in with a load of Seedless They  Pulled just down the road from my house. WAY PAST TIME FOR WATERMELON.  Greg gave me two fresh pulled. Cut one already.  One of the sweetest I  ever put in my mouth.
     All that's left here are some Yellow Squash and Bell Pepper. Going down in the low 40s again tonight. Lots of little stuff in raised bed polly tunnels coming up.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 3:28pm
I do actually go 36" deep with an old JD iron wheel pull type unit. ---set the lever all the way up and go!---WD-45 won't hack it!--spins out, still has power, just no traction! LOL!!!---190xtd just will pull it with a lot of slippin!---One year I had the 806 on it and it did good for a gas engine power tractor.
I used to pull it with the Oliver super 99 GM in 4th gear and it would make the ground stand up tall!
190 or 200 will do great at slower speeds at that depth.---Not all ground will pull the same either, so your results will vary. I have deep black heavy soil here in the gardens.
I made a 2 shank unit with dmi shanks and it is good for a couple feet. It also takes a big tractor, 730-d deere was used for a while on it , 560 no go, too light. never got to try the 190 on it yet, but am thinking it would work good.
The best time to rip is when there has been a long dry spell. the drier/harder the ground is the better. You will then shatter the ground down deep and it will stay loose allowing water/freezing to penetrate way down helping to store water for next crop season.
If you go in wet ground, all that's going to happen is the shank will just make slots and not brake any chunks loose.--This can help a bit in getting surface water moving down/away.
I have always had better crops and less runoff by using rippers.
KEN!,---the late season melons can be better than the early ones if they pick up moisture, and if the sun is good! We had a couple late ones here that were really good. thanks; ac fleet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic