This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2018 gardens

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:24pm
If only grass,--hit it with Poast. For pre-emerg., I have been using Lachlor based stuff.---Same stuff that used to be Dual.---Works good if you are careful with the rate and get it worked in, then if possible water it in good before you plant. Cultivate just enough to keep crust broke, and shallow depth.
The spuds get planted in the flat ground, then as the plants grow start pushing dirt up with the wing on the troy built horse tiller. After a few days take a hard rake and pull the dirt up again. This keeps the weeds uprooted. thanks; ac fleet
Sponsored Links

ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 3:22pm
sweet corn is bout over,--taters are being dug early due to bugs killed the plants.--had tons of peas and summer squash. still getting the last of the white round squash. Lots of good corn out there yet if anyone wants to come get it!!! LOL!!!

Top pic. is one of the many loads of corn, next is an ear of the yellow and third pic. is the bi-color.  Last pic. is a couple trays ready for the freeze dryer.
We have done corn, tomatoes, yellow summer squash, and sweet onions so far in the freeze dryer.
We also have done the same in the big dehydrator to compare the difference in the end product.
Freeze dry is a whole different world than de-hydrating.
More later! thanks; ac fleet
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 5:43pm
I guess I missed this post several times. My garden has been green beans mostly just because my brother and I are keeping Dad's heirloom tender pod stringless green beans going since he can't anymore.
 Last year I planted some seeds I saved from volunteer sunflowers and have way more this year. I also planted some "Indian corn" the last 2 years but I thinks it's getting pollinated by  local field corn.
 I don't do sweet corn, because my good neighbor always plants way more than he uses. This year I only froze a few ears on the cob for later, cause I have plenty left from last year of the bagged up kernels.
 Brother and I planted some of Dad's beans in his old garden this year. They were planted pretty late and we just took the first picking off last week. All together, there were 11 gallons picked off these 5 30' rows. I canned 4 batches in the pressure cooker the other day and have some left over to take to our Tucker reunion this coming Sunday.
Dad's old garden patch

My patch here in the sand. I picked about 15 gallons of the first 4 rows so far and gave most to family and neighbors. I think I'm about done picking them this year, till the plants die. Then I'll have some hand threshing to do for next years seed.
I have a couple tomato plants up by the house and tried  my luck with some late planted broccoli and carrots. Have to wait and see about them. I also planted a row of cucumbers this spring. I don't eat em, so I made a batch of ill pickles from some, and what the wife don't eat, I keep taking to the neighbors. They're probably getting tired of em by now LOL

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 04 Aug 2018 at 5:50pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 9:00pm
Lookin really good there sir!!!!----I have an old red soup bean that was in a family since 1840, and Virginia was given some of the seed by a friend that was afraid the variety would vanish, as only two other members of his family planted this year for the last time so it's up to us to attempt to keep the old bean going!--- It's a very mild soup bean that holds together good when cooking, makes good chili and baked bean dishes too!
Keep the pix. coming guys!!! LOL!!!! thanks; ac fleet
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 2:42am
my tater plants is dying, was told the taters will still keep growing after the greenery on top dies....is that true?
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 2:15pm
When the plants dry down then taters are dunnnn!!! Time to dig and see what you got under there!
We found some nice ones, but most are mid to small with a lot of micros that didn't have a chance to mature. ------NOT a super garden year this time!! LOL!!! thanks; ac fleet
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 2:57pm
thanks...i'll dig sum up! we did drive 36 miles to a farmers market last Thursday, was only 2 vedors there, but they had about everything. did buy one of the largest watermelons we've seen for years! along with new taters, string beans, onions, muskmelons, cucumbers, and a few maters. I finished up cutting up the onions last night, bagging them and shrink wrapping them for cooking up on the grill later! also made up a cucumber salad last night too, it's cooling in the fridge.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 3:28pm
I have two gardens, one up by the house for green beans, corn and tomato's.  The lower one my mother would call a truck patch, melons and pumpkins.  I planted all my sweet corn on the same day, 8 rows of white and 4 rows of early Ambrosia.  Ambrosia turned out fine but the drought hit the white corn when it was tasseling and so I got maybe 6 ears off it.  The lower garden stays wet so the drought doesn't bother it as bad but in a wet year only fit for rice.  I have a bumper crop of cantaloupe, butternut squash, and watermelon.  I was in grade school before I ever actually had pumpkin pie, my mother and grandmother always made it out of butternut squash.  After trying it myself I understood why and only do squash myself, nobody knows the difference.
Maximum use of available resources!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 10:10pm
soooooo….why?
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 7:14am
JW,  Ever tried Cushaw squash for pumpkin pie?  That is my pick of the litter.

though the butter nut and sweet taders are yummy also.

oh and thanks for the kick back on the grass deal ac.

Edited by Dave H - 06 Aug 2018 at 7:15am
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 8:51am
With butternut squash, only the bottom section has seeds and the cavity is small, the whole top 2/3's is solid.  The outter hide is really tough, peel it off, cut the inside up in sections, boil it down and mash it up and it is pie ready, no need to run it through a seive like a pumpkin.
Had an old timer give me 6 seeds for what we called crooked neck squash, they were white with green stripes and would weigh in excess of 30lbs.  I planted 3 seeds in the truck patch one year and it flooded them out, planted the last three this year but didn't germinate.  I think the cushaw are kind of orange aren't they?
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 9:01am
cushaw are light green in color and have darker stripes running lengthwise.  Neck is usually crooked.

On the butternut we usually just half them, put the cut side down in a thin layer of water and do in the oven at 350 until soft.  then scrape the inside3s out with a spoon.  Seeded first of course.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 2:37pm
Take butternut cut in half seed it a cook in microwave, clean the inside out and treat it like you do sweet potatoes, butter an brown sugar. Yummmmy

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by JW in MO JW in MO wrote:

I have two gardens, one up by the house for green beans, corn and tomato's.  The lower one my mother would call a truck patch, melons and pumpkins.  I planted all my sweet corn on the same day, 8 rows of white and 4 rows of early Ambrosia.  Ambrosia turned out fine but the drought hit the white corn when it was tasseling and so I got maybe 6 ears off it.  The lower garden stays wet so the drought doesn't bother it as bad but in a wet year only fit for rice.  I have a bumper crop of cantaloupe, butternut squash, and watermelon.  I was in grade school before I ever actually had pumpkin pie, my mother and grandmother always made it out of butternut squash.  After trying it myself I understood why and only do squash myself, nobody knows the difference.

ComeConfused ConfusedConfusedon Shameless read it again.

He didn't want GMO's so he separated the corn and beans from the squash.

Sorry everyone else.

The GMO thing is real funny to me cause every plant you get that ever grew from as seed is GMO. Cause the polin has fertilize the other part and each seed has their own DNA and that's just how crops grow. All seed for the crops we most use has been improved by man,so it is a GENETICALLY MODIFIED ORGANISM.  

Now if you want to cuss Monsanto or Bayer I guess it is that took them over................there is some reasons I could agree.

I can see some real reason to use the super GMO technology like adding the ability to draw nitrogen out of the air like legumes do today. But no money in that for the big companies.

Sorry for hijacking and ranting both....................but I blame Shameless for getting me started down a rabbit whole.Wink 
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 3:33pm
double posted????????

Edited by Ray54 - 06 Aug 2018 at 3:36pm
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 8:25pm
Cushaws come in 3 colors!--green stripe,----all white----and orange! I have had all 3 in the past but kinda like the white the best,---they do get big and are really good!--cut the neck part in 3/4" slices, fry in butter with salt and pepper on top and I usually sprinkle a dab of flour on one side,---fry until light brown then if you want topping, go with tomato past, or kets. or mayo., whatever your favorite is! thanks; ac fleet
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 9:46pm
Truck patch is doing well, picked 8 cantaloupe off 2 vines so far and have 3 or 4 more.  Already ate one of the little Charlston Grey's but picked 3 watermelon tonight, I still have several more out there in the 15 to 20 pound range.

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 9:32am
Thanks JW I gots to go and pee now
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 8:33pm
Looks super!!! Our watermelons are getting big, but still have a ways to go!
I did get another half row of taters dug today and a lot of sweetcorn stalks run down the shredder to make good compost! ----How long will it take to cut haul and chop 1/2 acre?????? LOL!!!! thanks; ac fleet
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 9:46pm
Freeze dried maters

freeze dried onions along with dehydrated onions
freeze dried onions and dehydrated sweet corn

sweet corn stalk with 3 good ears,-- this was the norm all thru the RR corn.

More later!! thanks; ac fleet
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 10:00pm
AC,your garden is impressive to say the least! Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 11:13pm
anyone gots any twinkie seeds?
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 6:15am
Am  I the only gardener on the forum that grows Purplehull   Cowpeas.  I'm about to begin picking my 5th planting. 4 more plantings to harvest before the first freeze.  The last patch is growing where the first planting  grew.   I  call it double cropping. 
    Deer are a problem.  They love Peas.   Tried spraying weekly with raw eggs in water. It seems to be working on the patch just about ready to start picking.
     No problem selling green shelled fresh or frozen peas in 20 oz quart ziplocks  for $5 a Quart.  First planting retailed for $2500 smackers

Edited by Ken in Texas - 10 Aug 2018 at 6:44am
Dennis IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 11:27am
Originally posted by Ken in Texas Ken in Texas wrote:

Am  I the only gardener on the forum that grows Purplehull   Cowpeas.  I'm about to begin picking my 5th planting. 4 more plantings to harvest before the first freeze.  The last patch is growing where the first planting  grew.   I  call it double cropping. 
    Deer are a problem.  They love Peas.   Tried spraying weekly with raw eggs in water. It seems to be working on the patch just about ready to start picking.
     No problem selling green shelled fresh or frozen peas in 20 oz quart ziplocks  for $5 a Quart.  First planting retailed for $2500 smackers

Nope I grow a lot of them too Ken.
HE WHO KNEELS BEFORE GOD CAN STAND BEFORE ANY MAN
Dennis IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 11:31am
One more of the Purple hulls. I love em! we have a darn good way to fix them over here and everybody who tries them loves them as well.
HE WHO KNEELS BEFORE GOD CAN STAND BEFORE ANY MAN
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 1:55pm
The garden season is coming to an end! Rain here that we now don't need but are getting is making a mess of things! Peanuts and sweet potatoes need dry ground at this time.--We have had over 3" of rain this past few days.
Melons, squash, carrots, beets, tomatoes, peppers, and red dry beans have been mostly harvested here, still a few out there but rain may have done them in.
Freeze dried some peaches, melons, and carrots, so far. Have more to a little later.
The peanut row as of last week.----Looks like a lot of nuts under the plants from the test dig that I did.

How are your gardens doing?? thanks; ac fleet
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 5:28pm
speaking of sweet taders, I dug mine a few days ago.  Seems there is always a rogue tader in the batch.

This year's champ weighed in a 4 lbs 3 oz.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 6:42pm
our sweet taters is still growing
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

The garden season is coming to an end! Rain here that we now don't need but are getting is making a mess of things! Peanuts and sweet potatoes need dry ground at this time.--We have had over 3" of rain this past few days.
Melons, squash, carrots, beets, tomatoes, peppers, and red dry beans have been mostly harvested here, still a few out there but rain may have done them in.
Freeze dried some peaches, melons, and carrots, so far. Have more to a little later.
The peanut row as of last week.----Looks like a lot of nuts under the plants from the test dig that I did.

How are your gardens doing?? thanks; ac fleet
AC Fleet,If there was a first place trophy for gardens you would sure win it. I am impressed with your gardening talent. Always great to hear that someone is keeping a family heirloom growing. You and the others that take the time to grow old heirlooms, my hat is off to you! God Bless, Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 10:03pm
I hope to get one mess of turnips out of my patch unless they all float away.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic