This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2012 dodge pickup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2012 dodge pickup
    Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 2:01am
looking at a 2012 dodge 3500 dually diesel to pull my 5th wheel camper. truck looks good, clean, 4 door, 4x4. but....the DEF system has been shut off or removed or something...anyway it's not there anymore. i'm sure that is Illegal if anyone gets caught driving it that way...whatcha all think? should I chance it? if I buy it like that, I prolly won't fix it back.
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 5:39am
I heard that some trucks with DEF, that when you run out of DEF, turn off engine, it will NOT start until DEF is added(add warmed up in Winter). I'd be real 'upset' if we hear that from you next Winter. It could happen that whoever antiDEFfed the truck didn't swap in a noDEF computer and after xx hrs of noDEF, shuts down the engine.
Just as bad,you get stopped for an inspection(up here that truck needs one EVERY year !) ,guy see no DEF bottle orhoses or whatever( his computer sees noDEF condition..) truck will be taken off the road until fixed.
Check out what the fines are, at the minimum tags pulled until certified fixed !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Rhoadesy_65 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhoadesy_65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 5:49am
I think this depends on the laws of your state. Some states have auto inspections. Ohio does not and Ive heard of plenty of people with emission deletes, I always heard that it voids your warranty, but its a 2012 so what warranty. I didnt think a 2012 would have DEF but you could probably call your highway department and see what they say.
Farmin' with 1981 7010 PD, Great Grandpas 1947 Farmall H, JD 7000 planter, JD model B drill, NH 316 Baler, NH 1411 Discbine ,JD 100 8 Shank Chisel. Darke County OH
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 6:13am
If the DEF system has been deleted, you may not be able to get it to pass the inspection need to get it registered in your name.  In many places as long as the person that did the delete owns it, it's not an issue. The problem arises when you try to transfer the title. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 8:16am
You may want to look at some of the dodge web sites for that year. I know a couple of issues that were known was electrical and def related. I have an older 06 3500 with the 5.9 and love everything except it is geared a little low to run 70mph (@2500 rpm)down the highway. It has the 6spd and will make 24.5mpg empty. They are good trucks in my opinion.
gerkendave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 4:17pm
I’ve got a 2010 ram 2500 Cummins and all of my emissions stuff was stolen at some point after I bought it 😏. I’m in Nebraska with you shameless and I have never had issues with it being gone. Not to say that some day it won’t happen but at this time it’s worth the risk to me. The truck runs so much better and my fuel mileage is MUCH better without the crud.   Before deleting and tuning my mileage was around 10-12 now running around town I’m at 15 and cruising hwy at 60 I can break over the 20 mark easily.
Sherman Farms View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherman Farms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 5:12pm
We have a 2012 3500 single wheel that we bought new and it didn't have def on it.
B, C, RC, 3 wc,2 wd,3 wd45, d15, d17, d19, d21, 190, 440, 7040, 918 backhoe, 12 roto balers, 7 60 combines, 40, 66,2 72,90 super, sp100, Gleaner E, F3, 3 L2, R62, and much more
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 6:21pm
As long as it blow up the motor,---I would run it ! ---all that govt. crap does is make another company rich at our expense!
As far a Dodge with a cummins, They have thousands of them on the road with a lot of likes, so I wouldnt be afraid of it.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 6:22pm
The local diesel shop told us when we were having trouble they could remove the def as long as the truck never went to California. I've heard from different sources that Cali might be eliminating def because they've found the emission from the def are worse than having the soot. 
ACFarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 7:05pm
Unless its a cab and chassis, a 2012 shouldn't have def on it anyways. I sold my 2500 that was a 2012 last fall. It was a great truck for me.

Edited by ACFarmer - 19 Mar 2020 at 7:05pm
Making A living everyday farming with and working on Allis Equipment
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 7:25pm
2013 was the first year for Dodge and DEF.The technology later became standard on all 2013+ model year Ram pickups equipped with any version of the 6.7L Cummins turbodiesel. The SCR system requires the use of diesel exhaust fluid (DEF), a substance comprised primarily of urea and water.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 10:27pm
it's still an extra cost to run the vehicle.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 11:47pm

Search Results

Web results

Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) The technology later became standard on all 2013+ model year Ram pickups equipped with any version of the 6.7L Cummins turbodiesel. The SCR system requires the use of diesel exhaust fluid (DEF), a substance comprised primarily of urea and water.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 5:40am
A new Ram 2018 2500 pickup with Cummins Diesel was $10,000 more than the 6.4 Hemi. Does the Cummins tow better yes. Can I buy a lot of gasoline for $10,000 yes! At 100.000 miles most Diesel owners regardless of brand start paying large sums of cash to replace emission controls on their Diesel pickups that are off of warranty. Or they delete if they can in their state unless required yearly inspection. When I bought my 2018 Ram I couldn't see spending $10,000 more for the same pickup. And the 6.4 Hemi tows my Hay trailer with 14 round bales better than the 2002 GMC it replaced. If I was towing Interstate then yes I would have a Diesel especially in mountains.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 10:07am
the truck is a cab/chassis, I had them measure the frame from cab back, and my flatbed is to short, and I don't want to cut the frame down to fit it nor do I want the space between the cab and flatbed, and I don't want to buy an in-between tool box to put on it. i'm going to pass this one up. thanks for the responses! if I find another I like...i'll let ya'll know!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic