This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment -Knowledge Base
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

201 engine assembly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TomMN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 4:27pm
The only way to fix the timing is to move the governor gear.  You'll need to pull that out again and get the drive slot horizontal when your pulley set screw is pointing at the floor or at the ceiling.

It seems odd that there would be so much oil coming out from that small shaft that it would make a mess anywhere but the front of the engine.
Sponsored Links

Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 5:52pm
I use wire core spark plug wires on all mags.
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 8:23pm
Way to go Marv! There's nothing like hearing your engine run for the first time. Hope you can get the oil leak fixed. I never saw one leak like that. The WD45's even had an oil line dumping oil on top the gear and they didn't leak that much,
littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 11:12pm
O.K., finally got some time to mess with the video of the engine running. I created a youtube account and up loaded it there. So lets try this-

https://youtu.be/Kx8D3ydmMsg

I will try and make a better video when I get some free time.

The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 8:16am
Sounds excellent- it's hitting very evenly on every cylinder.

Now, it could be the audio quality, could be sound level... and it could be that it's just still breaking in... but it sounds like it's laboring a bit. How much advance is it indicating now when running?
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 6:27pm
That video was shot like 10 seconds after the initial startup. I had the mag in centered in the slot. Since then I moved the mag all the way out and it does sound much better. I tried to retime it the way Tom said above, but didn't seem to make a difference. I still have to have it out all the way to run its best. But yes, you are correct. If you move the mag back, it does sound like it's laboring.

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 6:33am
Using resistance plugs have an immeasurable effect on ignition timing. what they Do affect, is mag coil inter winding voltage. When resistance wire or plugs are in a mag circuit, the voltage which appears in the mag coil is substantially higher. it's very hard on the coil insulation.

the reason for resistance wires or plugs, is to suppress harmonics... dining between the plug gap and ignition coil of a battery-coil system. when a high tension coil arcs across a gap, the magnetic field of the coil collapses rapidly, and it tends to ring like striking a bell. this running causes incredible radio interference, which doesn't play well with radio receivers, computers, and other electronics.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 9:57pm
I am going to fix the pictures in this post as time allows.

ihscout View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihscout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 2:23pm
Sorry to slip into your subject matter here but for some reason they won't let me start a new topic. I'm rebuilding the 125 cubic inch engine in my 1940 B tracker anybody got ideas as to the best and cheapest rebuild kit
'40 AC B - My Pappy always told me "Use your head for something other than a tack hammer!" I did. It makes a great 16 pound sledge hammer.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 3:46pm
It depends on what you need. 
I found a set of sleeves. pistons, rings and O rings at a real good price. After I bought a gasket set, main bearings, rod bearings and cam bearings, I had more money in it than if I had bought a complete kit.
After I took the head to the machine shop, I found out I needed a complete valve set. Now I'm way over what I could have bought a kit for.

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 3:49pm
Click on farm equipment and upper left should have start new topic.
Welcome!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
ihscout View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihscout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 5:33am
Thanks for the reply believe me I've done that myself I believe I found an engine on this forum that somebody is selling rebuilt I think I'm going to go that route
'40 AC B - My Pappy always told me "Use your head for something other than a tack hammer!" I did. It makes a great 16 pound sledge hammer.
W Speedy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 5:49am
Marv,

Did you have a shop manual for the engine assembly? If so, which one? There’s a few out on the market. 
I have a 46’ W Speed Patrol getting ready for a rebuild this fall, the block is at the machine shop now.
I’ve rebuilt a few engines over the years, but the brass shims were something new to me.

Thanks,
Bill
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic