This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2000 ford f350 6.8 two speed fuel pump resitor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2000 ford f350 6.8 two speed fuel pump resitor
    Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 6:08pm
can not locate ford pn. f81z14a601ac , data shows it under or around power distrubtion box under hood but with all of that removed i have not found it yet. 
Sponsored Links

fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 6:08am
Define '2 speed fuel pump'.
Never heard of it on one of those.
I looked up the part # and I don't know what it is.
You have a fuel pump relay that is in the center of the dash behind the ash tray kinda.
3 relay box. Should be upper left.
That's all I got.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 6:40am

Google found it (208 hits )!..at least NOW you know what you're looking for. My gut tells me that maybe the 'computer' runs pump at full power until backpressure is 'seen', then reduces power(puts resistor in series) as it's not required ??
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 7:27am
I saw that. That's not how it works the way I know it.
Fuel pressure regulator is on the fuel rail, vacuum controlled.

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 7:52am
Not used on the standard F150..... used on the supercharged engine only... Sheet does list the F250-450 models, but very little data on why ?  On the F150 supercharger, it is in engine compartment near the fuse box.

Edited by steve(ill) - 29 Sep 2021 at 7:59am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 7:57am
some talk of use on the F150 supercharged.... i think when it says "duel fuel pump"... there are actually TWO FUEL PUMPS to deliver more volume under full throttle condition.

Edited by steve(ill) - 29 Sep 2021 at 8:02am
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 8:13am
The newer engines per GDI and turbo have a fuel pump in the tank and a very high pressure pump situated on the intake usually that is run off the cam. No injector rail. Fuel is injected into the cylinder versus above the intake valve.

This is an 2000 F350. No rocket science here. Built for work not necessarily go fast.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 8:21am
YEs... i have a 2013 TURB motor and it has a mechanical fuel pump ( injection pump) at the motor ( Direct Injection like a diesel -- not into the manifold)............... the above RESISTOR was used on the 2000-2004 SUPERCHARGED F150 engine........... and for some reason on the F250- 450 motors (???)

Edited by steve(ill) - 29 Sep 2021 at 8:24am
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 8:23am
In all of my years as a Ford dealer tech, never came across a two speed fuel pump on anything. A 2000 uses a return style fuel system with a pressure regulator and a simple constant speed pump controlled by a relay. When they did away with the return line and regulator they added a rail pressure sensor and a fuel pump control module that varies pump speed to demand.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 8:26am
your right Brain... thats how 99.9% of the F150s worked... The resistor was used with dual fuel pumps on the LIGHTNING SUPERCHARGED motors......I still dont know why the resistor was on the F250- 450.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 8:29am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

YEs... i have a 2013 TURB motor and it has a mechanical fuel pump ( injection pump) at the motor ( Direct Injection like a diesel -- not into the manifold)............... the above RESISTOR was used on the 2000-2004 SUPERCHARGED F150 engine........... and for some reason on the F250- 450 motors (???)

You still have a fuel pump in the tank also.
Some Ford references get a little skewed sometimes.
Brian would know more than me if he worked at a dealership.
I just know what I have come across.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 8:31am
YEs.... the TURB motor has an electric pump in the gas tank and a mechanical driven INJECTION pump on the motor for Direct Injection into the cylinders.... Suppose to be more efficient than manifold low pressure injection.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 9:26am
its a good part # listed for the vin number at the ford store,    and it is shown  in the the wire schematic for that vin one pump in the tank .   it gets 85 psi fuel most of the time some times it will go down to 30 psi and stay there . gets code p0232 on its fourth pump sinse febuary plenty of gas filters third regulator fuel lines and tank have been cleaned and flow with no restiction,    alldata and idendifix  show the restisor under power distubution box but with most of the componants removed on the left fender it aint there .  if you command the pump duty cycle with the scanner when you get it down to 70% to 60% it wil just go from 65psi to 0 and kill the engine
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 10:37am
just had a 99 f 250 v10 at the shop this morning and the two speed resistor was there where its supposed to be . i am still working on this f350 v10  now it gets 80 psi as soon as you start going down the road all of the fuel lines have been ceaned cleared and checke you can blow bubbles in the tank form the regulator with 1 psi  have tryed three differant regullators brands  still have not located this resistor to replace it or the wire harnass .  the f 250 had it mounted under the power distubution box  and that is where are data said it is supposed to be 
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 6:40am
Since you have been unable to visually locate this resistor perhaps you can try to find it by using logical electrical troubleshooting methods.

If you have access to a decent schematic you should be able to test with an ohmmeter to determine if the resistor actually exists in your particular system.

A resistor is a 'dumb' component so it should show up readily in the circuit if it actually exists (which it may not).

A working knowledge of DC parallel circuits is also needed.

Naturally, one should always observe proper care by disconnecting batteries, etc.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 10:47am
have been back probing the pcm and the power distribution box.    the low speed relay in the power distribution box has a diode in the unused spot in the box by the pcm diode main fuel pump relay is behind the radio  i am going to call the man that was here yesterday and see if he will let me look at the bottom of his 2000 f250 and see if i can back probe his relay   a freind of mine that runs a very bissy shop about  15 miles from us was in the ford dealership as a tech for 25 years during that period and he had never seen that ether  
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 10:50am
FWIW... diodes are used to allow current (power) to go one way. This keeps a circuit from 'backfeeding' some other thing.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 6:03pm
Okay, now we are dealing with diodes which are active components, unlike 'dumb' resistors.

It is very important to only use meters with high input impedance on these computerized systems so as not to overload the circuitry.

A proper schematic is vital for analyzing this stuff. A known good system to use for comparison testing is very helpful.

Good luck! Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic