This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2000 F250 Super Duty w/7.3 brakes and steering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2000 F250 Super Duty w/7.3 brakes and steering
    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 8:09am
It has gotten hard to steer and whines when I steer and also whines when I brake. Power steering fluid is up but there are bubbles in the fluid. I did add soe fluid earlier this past spring. Someone suggested a bad master cylinder.... I'm not too familiar with hydraulic assisted brakes on these things. I saw a video that said to bleed it, it needs to have the front jacked up off the ground, engine off, turn the steering wheel full stop to each side 5 times and press brake pedal 3 times, repeat procedure 50 to 150 times. Seems ridiculous to me but what do I know. Any help is appreciated.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 3:18pm
First you have a leak somewhere if needed a add, need to find and fix that first.  Next up shut the engine off, get the truck front end off the ground completely BOTH sides.  Check fluid, then turn SLOWLY to one full turn stop either left or right and recheck fluid, Again ENGINE OFF.  if foamy allow to sit here until the bubbles dissipate.  After fluid clears some fill to high mark and rotate to full stop the other direction and see if still aerated.  Maintain fluid full mark and perform this once or twice more to each full stop direction check fluid level each time.  That is the essential way to bleed aerated fluid in P/S.

Edited by DMiller - 25 Aug 2020 at 3:19pm
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 5:45am
Thanks I'll give it a try
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 2:13pm
my van howled when I bought it. it was very low on fluid filled it up didn't help I did steer ok but the noise was bad. I drained and flushed it twice bleeding it both times . if the fluid has been overheated  a lot of times it'll continue to make noise until you flush it out.  usually bleeding is accomplished by taking the load off the tires and cycling it full lock to lock with the engine off. if your draining take the return line off put a hose into a bucket and turn lock to lock with the engine running itll empty in just a couple times then turn the engine off fill bleed and do again.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 1:50am
Obviously fix any leaks, but if you have aerated fluid, the fast and complete way to purge the air is pull a vacuum on the reservoir with a hand held vacuum pump with the engine running. The first fills on anything I do I fill the reservoir, pull the vacuum, release, fill and pull the vacuum and release again. Start the engine and pull a vacuum again. You can have all of the air out of problematic vehicles like GM R&V utility and W body in less than 5 minutes this way. 
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 9:55am
Wasn't it nice for the factory to circle the problem right there on the grill? LOL FixOrRepairDaily
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 11:10am
That was kind of mean
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 9:26pm
Mean but then not too mean..... I've always been a Chevy fan. Wink
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 9:30pm
I jacked up the front and with engine stopped I steered stop to stop 5 times, pushed brake pedal 3 times. Did this 2 cycles filling fluid in between and it steered nice and noise free.... for a short while..... but with an apparent leak it started whinning within a 1/2 hour. Next I will be finding and fixing the leak when I get a chance.
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 6:44am
I owned a chevy once,,,,
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 7:27am
Can't Have Excellent Vehicle Yet......   hehehe
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 7:37am
Originally posted by TomC TomC wrote:

I owned a chevy once,,,,

I had 4 of the friggin' things. 5 I guess counting the GMC truck I still use on the farm, though technically that's dad's.

Truck: Tailgate rotted. Rear bumper rotted. Has anyone tried to do brake lines on one of these?    What a pain!!! Been recalled a few times. Cab corners going. It's an '01, so it's time, but there's a '92 Ford on the farm that's seen all the same treatment and then some and has held up better. The bumper on that GMC must be made of paper thin crap steel. Headliner in cab falling apart. MISERABLE rotted out POS of a spare tire arrangement.

Pontiac Grand Prix: I must have owned the only 3800 engine that burned oil. Got it from my sister knowing that, was a good deal, but still. When they had it, dealer never could figure out why it was using oil.

Monte Carlo and Pontiac Montana: I don't have enough room to write all of the crap that went wrong with these 2 POS's. The internet would sue me for abuse of electrons. GM's venerable 3800 V6 was apparently too good (except mine) and they didn't sell enough parts, so they cheapened the sh!t out of it and voila, you have the steaming pile of crap 3.4L. On the van, it would rip the studs out of the holes that held the rocker arms in place. But oh so many things: between the 2 vehicles, 3 blown head gaskets, that valve issue previously listed, broken steering knuckle, load leveler in van went nuts and jacked the ass end up to the moon (was like a trip to the 70's), broken struts, blown engine, heater controls, NUMEROUS electronic issues with engine, etc., etc., etc. We're talking a death spiral of crap that you couldn't get one disaster paid for before another one hit, actually caused me FINANCIAL damage, I couldn't get ahead of them. Obviously would have been best to cut bait and run and buy something else, but too much $$$ tied up in paying for parts and repairs. The list would continue. Hard to tell which of these 2 was worse.

Grand Am: This little 4 banger was the best by far. Really not too bad. Only goofy thing with this was every once in a while, the theft system would randomly trigger. Too bad we lost that one in an accident.

All that, I rarely trash Chevys. Because, they are a "machine" with moving parts made out of metals and plastics and electronics. They all are expensive, wear out, malfunction, and rot away.
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 8:11am
Exactly, once was enough for me
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 3:05pm
Owned Square Bodies in the 70s, had a couple good ones, that said could listen to them rust at night thru the screens.  350 4bbl, 12-15mpg want it or not loaded or empty, 454, 9-10mpg loaded or empty.  Mid 80s Ford, 460, gas station was NEVER passed when limited access, 351 was not much better until the 90s when actually got worse.

I swapped to Ford permanently in the 99 model year as GMs were JUNK, that stated not much has been done to correct the problems on either side of the GM/Ford Fence and Chrysler still Sucks BAD.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic