This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2 cycle engines - Sthil product= keeping running ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 cycle engines - Sthil product= keeping running ?
    Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 11:30am
I have a MS 250 chainsaw, and a Fs 76 weedeater and these things seem imposible to keep running , I do mix my own gas and oil at 50-1 ratio,, they dont get used everyday but dang when I want to use them I want them to run, they start- sputter around then die - aggrivating- is the ethanol in gas now a factor ? Would it be better to buy the premixed stuff ? Or is there an additive I can mix with the gas to perform good ? 
Sponsored Links

TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 11:42am
I have been using a product recommended by the local Stihl dealer, it's called Opti 2 two stroke mix, one pack in with one gallon of gas,and use it in everything no matter what the ratio is supposed to be. It also has a built in fuel preservers. I love it,one gas can for everything. Been using it 2 or 3 years now, haven't had any issues.There is a noticable difference in how they start and run,way better. I use Opti 4 in my zero turn with a Kawasaki engine,if I ran that from the day it was new Opti 4 gives you a 7 year warranty on any engine failure.
Robert Musgrave View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Musgrave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 1:51pm
For Outdoor Power Equipment, I buy Non-ethanol premium gasoline and treat it with Opti-mizer which is a fuel treatment & stabilizer.  Even in the old days, it was recommended to buy fresh fuel, keep it clean and use it up in 30 days.  I mix small amounts of 2-stroke pre-mix and try to use it up in one season.  If storiing for long periods, drain out the tank of chain saws and weed trimmers.  It has worked for me.   R. Musgrave
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 2:18pm
I have a 021 (I think) chainsaw that I couldn't keep running. Got to digging around trying to find out why and found my fuel line had a small crack. Put a new fuel line and filter on it and haven't had any problems for a couple of years now. I use regular fuel and Stihl 2 cycle oil mixed at 50:1
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 2:20pm
have a look at the 'shelf life' for the premixed,even when open ! I think it's years, unlike the ethonal based KRAP at the pump that MIGHT be good for 1-2 months.
was also told use 'premium NON ethonal' based gas for all 2 strokes..that mean ONLY 'hitest' from a SHELL station up here .
I went electric as I don't saw much anymore.
Also run the tank dry after you're done. been told that's a 'must do' nowadayze'...

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 2:25pm
when i was cutting more than i am right now, I also mixed my own gas/oil, used oil that was branded with the saws i have. (echo) have never had a problem that way. after using one saw more than the others, the others have the same problem as you are experiencing. i then take them to a small engine dude locally and he goes thru the carb, then they run excellent again. sometimes the seals dry out and sometimes the carbs gum up. I use 87 at the pump. alot of times the gas will evaporate and leave to much oil.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 2:27pm
oh....and our local fire dept buys the ready mixed gas/oil in the cans at wally world, when they need their saws is when they pour in the mixed gas, when back at the station they'll let the saws run until they run outta gas or will dump them out. it doesn't take long to get them running when needed right after filling the tanks.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 2:32pm
I have a Stihl 250 that is about 10 years old... It started the sputter , no high speed, chit.. a couple years ago... Cleaned the carb and it would work for a couple hours..

I went ahead and bought a Chink carburetor to replace it... Its "expensive"...Wink ..cost almost $15. and came with the fuel filter, air filter, carb and new bolts...... I cant tear down the old one for that cost ! ......... RUNS GREAT NOW !!.

Illinois has E10 gas EVERYWHERE .... i have been using it in chainsaws, post hold digger, lawn mower , cars and trucks and tractors since 1988.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 4:47pm
I am following the directions of my Stihl dealer. He told me that if I am going to be continually using my chainsaw or trimmer to use non-ethanol gas and mix my own. If I won't be using it for an extended period, I run a couple tanks of premix through it. I have been doing this for the last several years with no problems.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 6:43pm
I use Wal-mart's brand(Crown) camp stove fuel.  Its Naptha, same as old mobil white gas. Last time I bought a gallon of it, it was $13+/- .  So it ain't cheap, but its cheaper than a new carb...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 7:00pm
My Farm Boss got to running like that. Took it in a they replaced the fuel line. It had developed cracks in it. The string was one nasty hard starting SOB so I took it in for a service and have had no trouble with it for 2 years now. The premixed fuels have a better shelf life and if mixing my own I never use alcohol fuel.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 8:09pm
My friend had a brand new Still that wouldn't keep running. Started well and ran well then would quit after a bit of work. He had it to dealer twice. No problem found. He brought it to me. I started it and went to woodpile - I always have a pile of wood to cut. Worked it hard for maybe 15 min. Stopped in its tracks and would not restart.  Saw was very hot. I took it in shop and let it cool. Asked him how he mixed fuel - he said 50:1 as per manual and dealer instruction. I said we are going to do a little experiment. Dumped his fuel and filled with my 24:1 mix that I use in all my old Pioneer saws. Took it out and cut till it ran out of fuel. Was still cool. He took saw home and no more issues. Just mixes a bit richer. 

Edited by Ed (Ont) - 07 Aug 2022 at 8:36pm
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 8:08am
My Stihl here in IL has been running on E 19 and wally world 2 stroke oil for years.  It laps it right up.

If you were here we could go out to the barn and crank her right up.  I would put my social security check up against yours on it.  Wink

Man I should proof read better.  E19 shoulda been E10.Confused

Edited by Dave H - 10 Aug 2022 at 2:46am
sho-man1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sho-man1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 8:48am
Also check the spark arrestor on the muffler. My Stihl weed eater gets the arrester cleaned every year now. Use pure 91 octane gas with to 50-1 stihl synthetic mix.

Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 11:37am
It's expensive but I don't cut enough for it to be burdensome...I use the Stihl branded fuel and with no issues.  I also drain my tank (back into the can) before putting weedeater  or Saw away.  
If I was out using it every day, I'd for sure do my own pre-mix but still drain that tank
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
bemer848 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bemer848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 4:18pm
I have an old Homelite chainsaw that I bought in 1977. Use regular gas with e10 in it. When I use it I just use a 16.9 oz plastic soda bottle and put in half an ounce of 2-stroke oil oil. Should be 32-1 ratio. After use I drain it and then start and run all out of the lines. Knock on wood has worked good for me.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 4:22pm
I run my saws on basic regular gas, use Stihl recommended oil per gallon and as complete a days work dump the gas back to storage can.  Do not start or run the saw again until need it, shake the can to reblend the Ethanol, and oil.  Pour it in the saw prime and start either of them no issue so far, same for my 4Mix weed eater.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 11:01pm
My Stihl dealer says he would rather use 87 octane ethanol free than 91 octane w/ 10% ethanol, and he can get that 87 at his local gas station, so that's what he recommends. His reasoning is Stihl has a little bit of a safety factor built in their octane recommendation, and if you know you're getting fresh, good quality 87 octane then you should be fine, since to him it's more important to not run ethanol. He's been in business for a long time.

I am able to get 91 octane ethanol free so that's what I run in my MS250, mixed with the Stihl ultra/synthetic oil. I run my saw enough that I don't want to pay for the premixed stuff, but not enough that the cost of the synthetic oil bugs me. I go through 2 gallons of fuel or so per year. At most the saw sits for 6-7 months if I don't use it much during the hot part of the year. I always store it with gas in it vs. running it dry (non-ethanol, remember). I know guys that swear by both ways.

Maybe yours just needs some carb cleaning at this point? The other recommendations of the premixed stuff may be good. It's pricey, but if you don't go through much fuel in a year, compare it to the aggravation of what you're currently dealing with - if the fuel sitting is indeed the issue.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 12:17am
The first and foremost rules:
The fuel is FRESH,
Oil is right type and ratio,
No WATER in the mix,
EMPTY the unit when done.

Fuel that stands for any length of time is subject to expansion and contraction in the tank, it breathes, therefore changes over the air within the can, and this air condenses, dropping moisture into the fuel.  If you're expecting performance, start your day with an empty 1 gallon and 5 gallon can.  Fill the 5 with non-ethanol fuel... if it's more than two days old, pour it into the car and get 5 fresh.

I use a 1 gallon can with Stihl Ultra(?) in the proper-sized-for-a-gallon.  Don't mix up more than that, you'll just wind up using it elsewhere.  Pour into the 1 gallon from your 5, and watch the bottom- don't let any water down there, go out through the spout!

Did I mention that small high-power two-strokes and water are not a good combo?  Not only does it screw up the fuel ratio (lean!!!), that mix goes into the crankcase first, and moisture in the bearings, seals, and piston skirt is not kind to 9000rpm parts... they tend to score fast.  Ethanol is HYGROSCOPIC... it absorbs moisture like a sponge... and even if it's absolutely clean the moment you pour it into your gascan, it starts absorbing the moment you pour it, and will continue until it can't pull any more (saturated).

Done working?  Dump the tank, and flip the engine over a few times, get that crap out.

Do assume new fuel lines and a carb job every season or two.  The lines don't last long, and if your'e running ethanol, they get brittle and split very fast... and then they don't run worth pooh.

---------------------

Other common ailments:
Exhaust spark screens get plugged with oil soot, then engines don't breath.
Clutch side crankcase shaft seals melt from people stalling the blade and burning the clutch.  Crankcase seals are vulnerable to that clutch heat, and when they melt, the crankcase is no longer an effective scavenger of air/fuel mix.

Plugged up shroud/cooling fins.  They get dirty, clean them out frequently!
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 5:47am
To the OP there is something wrong with your saw and trimmer

I use premium non ethanol fuel 93 octane Klotz oil 44:1 

a normal day is about 2 1/2 gallons though my saw(s)  I fell with one buck with one and there's a spare ride the skidder.  Never do they not start on the second pull cold or first hot.  Fresh fuel is the key and keep them clean fuel and air ...don't run them dull
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by Dave H Dave H wrote:

My Stihl here in IL has been running on E 19 and wally world 2 stroke oil for years.  It laps it right up.

If you were here we could go out to the barn and crank her right up.  I would put my social security check up against yours on it.  Wink
What is E19? I haven't heard of it. And why are you giving your social security cheque away? Smile
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 7:57pm
Just ran one of my old saws tonight. I use regular gas #87 from pump and mix with snowmobile oil that I always have on hand. Hadn't been drained. Filled with fuel left over from last fall. I keep meaning to drain it but sometimes never get to it. Worked great. Not sure why others have so many issues. I do store all my saws in shop that is fairly constant in temperature so I think that helps. Smile

Edited by Ed (Ont) - 09 Aug 2022 at 8:01pm
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 2:48am
Ed, thanks for catching my mistake.  Shoulda said E 10.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 7:34am
Originally posted by Amos Amos wrote:

To the OP there is something wrong with your saw and trimmer

I use premium non ethanol fuel 93 octane Klotz oil 44:1 

a normal day is about 2 1/2 gallons though my saw(s)  I fell with one buck with one and there's a spare ride the skidder.  Never do they not start on the second pull cold or first hot.  Fresh fuel is the key and keep them clean fuel and air ...don't run them dull
2 1/2 gallons a day, now that's some work!  Hats off to you sire.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 6:10pm
Ed your running an OLD SAW - we are talking new like 1 or 2 years old, old ones CAN run on distilled tranny fluid,, 

Edited by DougG - 10 Aug 2022 at 6:12pm
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 7:44pm
Not much difference between old and new saws. Still carbureted and 2 stroke. Only difference is new ones are running leaner - to a point. As I said in my first post the new one did not work on the lean mix either. Worked great on my 24:1 mix which is what I use in all my old pioneer saws. The old ones need a correct mix too or will fail. I may try a bit leaner mix in the old ones. Maybe 30:1. I have used lots of new saws. I prefer my old ones.
Haven't tried distilled tranny fluid yet. May pass on that option as we all know the outcome of that. LOL.

Edited by Ed (Ont) - 12 Aug 2022 at 7:13am
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 7:46pm
Cracked fuel lines are often the problem and if they crack out of site inside the fuel tank it is a case of out of site out of mind.
Jack of all trades, master of none
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 11:51am
I buy the 40/1 true fuel it's expensive use it in the first and last tank of seasonal equipment. The weed whackers thstget used all summer just mix 87 and oil. At the end of summer use a tank of premixed empty and run out.next spring fill with premixed for the first tank
My oldest are from the 1980s
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 4:47pm
My Stihl trimmer was running terrible. I ended up buying a new (imported) carburetor kit including, fuel line, fuel filter, air filter, three primer bulbs and spark plug all for $14.99 from Amazon. 

Like Dakota Dave, I ran a couple tanks of premix through it and now I am using non-ethanol / Stihl oil mix. Near the end of the summer, I will switch to the premix before storing it for the winter. My left over mixed gas (less than a gallon) will get dumped into an orange gas tractor tank.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 7:10pm
What would be a reasonable mix, when using motor oil, with 87 octane?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic