This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1999 Kawasaki bayou 400 clutch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1999 Kawasaki bayou 400 clutch
    Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 6:14pm
Does anybody have the tools to replace the clutch on this machine, that you no longer need. Bike shop wants 500.00 labor + parts to replace grandsons clutch. I've replaced dozens of clutches in trucks and I have 2 very detailed manuals with good pictures for this machine. I cannot see why he and I cannot replace this thing. I can get the tools off Amazon, but if one of you guys have them laying around I'd rather buy them off someone who no longer needs them. Complete clutch is less than $150.00.   Thanks guys. PM me with your price + shipping to 50273.
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 7:59pm
Tom.... isnt this a $10. tool on Amazon ???
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 8:10pm

I do have some of the tools needed for the Polaris ATVs ,,,I made these cause buyin them from the mfgr is very expensive,,
 Is it the Primary or the secondary clutch??.
If it is the secondary,it is NOT pressed on or tapered so it comes off pretty easy.
 IF it is the Primary,,,,you will need a special size bolt to get it off because it is tapered to the engine crankshaft ,,,,and sometimes the Primary clutch can be a real bugger to break it loose.
 What is ATV actually doing that you think is one of the TWO clutches....???
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 8:16pm
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 11:16pm
Joe, it barely pulls itself. Starts great, runs great, has all gears but will not pull itself up the slightest slope. He says he's done both clutch adjustments, we'll see tomorrow afternoon when he is off work for the day. According to the guys at the bike shop we need 2 tools . The one pictured and another. Thanks Steve. I can order them and will if no one has some they want to get rid of. Thanks for the info guys.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 29 Mar 2021 at 11:18pm
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 3:28am
  Hey Tom,,,have ya'll done any trouble shooting on the ATV,,?? It may be as simple as just replacing the drive belt,,,,?
 When you pull the big black plastic clutch cover,,both the Drive clutch and the Driven clutch AND the belt will be visible,,,,and should tell you what the issue is and may be just a belt replacement where you do not need to remove either clutch to replace the belt. On those ATV's there is no "adjustmant" as the measurement between the two clutches is constant and is NOT suppossed to move. There is an adjustment to line up the driven clutch to the Drive clutch by adding or removing spacer washers to the driven clutch.
 Hope this helps,,,,,
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 3:39am

Hey Tom,,,the one tool that Steve pictured is for removal of the Primary (Drive) clutch and can be "made" with a piece of 3/4" fine thread bolt stock. The other "special tool" required is the tool to dis-assemble the Primary clutch,,if you are going to rebuild the clutch,,,,IF you are going to replace the Primary clutch you won't need the high priced tool,,,,,,Wink
 IF they quoted you $150 for a new primary clutch,,,you better grab it as I've seen em run in the $300-$500 range.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 11:02pm
I'm gonna have to look at it, I don't remember any plastic cover. Joe Thank you for the info. Gonna get his car fixed this weekend, might get a chance to look at it this weekend.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 4:02am

Aw Chit,,Tom,,I didn't realize I didn't mention that,,,,It is the BIG black plastic thingie that covers both the Primary and Secondary clutches and the engine and transmission. You can't miss it,,gots about 8-10 bolts to get it off,
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 9:10am

Hey Tom,,,I kept thinkin on your Grandson's ATV and looked it up and it is a totally different clutch arrangement than the ones I've worked on, The good thing is,,,the clutch on your ATV has a clutch adjustment that looks to be very easy and you only have to remove 4 little ole bolts,,a 12 mm wrench and a screwdriver,,,,,,Clap
 Ahem,,,,you don't owe me nuttin, Tom,,,see'in as how I likes you,,,,,,,WinkLOL
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 10:12am
an old JEEP would do as much or more that one of those newfangled oldfartcarts and be easer and cheaper to operate. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 12:25pm
Old jeep is fine if your not knee deep in mud... Boy has a 6 passenger POLARIS... That thing will climb a tree and go thru mud you cant walk thru.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 10:11pm

Yep,,,the UTV's, ATV's of today will make a grown man cry at the places they will take you,,,,if you got guts enough,,,and about 3 times the MPH than any Jeep will make. My 3rd Son has a Can-Am Commander with the 1000 Cc engine and 4WD , that thing is a hill crawling monster,,,,!!  I DO NOT go with him any more as he gots way more guts than this old man. Never will forget one time we were going into a canyon we'd always wanted to explore and I had to get in the back,,the dang slope was so friggin steep,,,,the bad thing is having to hang onto the front when we had to come out,,,JIMMMINNY WHOOOEEEe,,I told him Then,,,you ain't ever gettin me in that thing again,,,and I ain't been,,,!!!
 I recently traded work for a 2005 Polaris Magnum 4X4 that is pretty potent machine but ole Joe likes them level straight roads,,, long about 23 MPH,,,,,,WinkWinkLOL

Edited by desertjoe - 31 Mar 2021 at 10:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic