This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1986 Ford 6.9 diesel………

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1986 Ford 6.9 diesel………
    Posted: 11 Oct 2024 at 10:39am
134,000 miles with C6 auto. Good, Bad, and Ugly?
In a F250. What is a ‘VRV’? It’s supposedly been ‘rebuilt and adjusted’. TIA.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2024 at 10:44am
maybe .... Vacuum regulator valve (VRV) = rough shifting .
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2024 at 11:22am
The VRV for the 6.9 and C6 is no longer made and when it goes, the truck don't shift. I had a 1986 with a 6.9 and it wasn't terrible but it certainly wasn't a beast either. Mine had return line leaking problems that I never got sorted. The 6.9 with anything that doesn't require the VRV, might be fair. It's a shame to. The bullnose Fords are some of my favorite
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2024 at 11:23am
And, yes, the VRV is a vacuum regulator valve. And as of 2018 it's NLA
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2024 at 12:42pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2024 at 12:50pm
this guy started making parts on a 3D printer in the last few years... Looks like he is selling UNITS now .. ?

thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2024 at 3:41pm
Hmmm. It's a good market to be in. When I sold mine the VRV was cracked and barely glued together. If you could find one in a junk yard they were pretty costly. And you paid for it before you took it off. They were fairly fragile. I'd love to have another 86 F250 but with a manual trans
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2024 at 3:46pm
I had a 1989 F250 with the 5.8 V8 ( fuel injected) and ZF wide ratio manual trans... THAT was a truck. Drove it 250K miles and did very little except maint.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2024 at 4:36pm
Of course you know that the 6.9 was the naturally aspirated International engine. They didn't have much power. I believe "Power Stroke" started around 1994, when they put a turbo on the 7.3.

We had some of the International Medium duty 6.9 (i believe starting in 1984). They ran well but were very underpowered, even for 1984.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2024 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by WF owner WF owner wrote:

Of course you know that the 6.9 was the naturally aspirated International engine. They didn't have much power. I believe "Power Stroke" started around 1994, when they put a turbo on the 7.3.

We had some of the International Medium duty 6.9 (i believe starting in 1984). They ran well but were very underpowered, even for 1984.

Yep, it’s non turbo diesel. Wanting something to possibly replace the ‘95 Suburban, now that’s a dog. Don’t need the seating of the Suburban any more, just the wife and I.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2024 at 10:00pm
Did a bit more research on the engine. The current owner claims he just changed oil & filter, although any used vehicle I purchase, I go straight home with and do complete lube, oil, and filter, irregardless of what a dealership or private seller claims. The maintenance schedule calls for 15w-40 if temps below 0*F., temps above 0*F., calls for straight 30 weight. Which makes sense as it is a mid 1980’s IHC engine.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2024 at 10:53pm
I had one. Run as fast and as hard as you can away from that unit. Motor and tranny was replaced, tranny twice in the year and one half that I had it.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2024 at 5:57am
Like every vehicle ever built, some people love them and some have nothing but problems.

One of the mechanics that I used to work with had an F-250 (I thought it was a 1984, but I could be wrong) 6.9. The last I knew, he was in the neighborhood of 500,000 miles. He took very good care of it and did a lot of towing with it. I think his was standard transmission, but the C6 was around for many years and had a pretty good reputation. 

As I said before, not a lot of power, but for the time they were built, they were a pretty good rig. Practically all the trucks that age, in our area, are completely rusted out and long gone.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2024 at 6:41am
You all have watched as I rehabbed my old 7.3 Super Duty. Truck dragged my 180 to the BILs place twoce a month for a number of years for mows and other work there. Did fine early on, 12-14mpg towing at highway speeds, with 16-18mpg as a commuter. Sadly Lo Sulphur Diesel destroyed that USLD made it worse until added a Programmer pkg. Got it back to 14-15 yet is still not great, is paid for so not a concern as to keeping the 25 year old. A 85 model is coming onto Forty years in service, parts are thinning that herd, electronic components will kill mine I am Most assured. The Pumps and support equipment for the older trucks as the Hydroboost on mine also become a concern. Is why mine became a Farm Relegated truck.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2024 at 7:19am
As this most definitely will not be a commute vehicle of any kind, I am inclined to pursue the idea, as I am getting really, really tired of lugging the removable back bench seat out of the Suburban anytime I have a substantial load to haul.
Supposedly the current owner has done a boatload of work on the truck, and for what his asking price is, it may be worth a shot.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2024 at 8:40am
We have a 1983 F-250 4x4 with a Borg-Warner T-19 four speed transmission and noromally aspirated 6.9 engine .    
Good low end power but a little doggy.   Pulled 5 loads of rould bales yesteday.  Handled the job well.
I did away with the glow plug controller curcuit over twenty years ago.  To energize the glow plugs, I use a deadman push button.

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2024 at 11:09am
Not sure how much I would need glow plugs here in central Texas, probably will put an engine ‘tank heater’ on it. People have said the take the power cord off the block heater and throw it away, don’t ever use the frost plug heater.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2024 at 11:39am
any diesel in ford trucks was JUNK from the factory! 7.3 blew up at 60,000 miles second motor is at 62,000 and dead again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 60,000 mile throw away motor and we wont get into the stupid automatics they put in them!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2024 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

any diesel in ford trucks was JUNK from the factory! 7.3 blew up at 60,000 miles second motor is at 62,000 and dead again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 60,000 mile throw away motor and we wont get into the stupid automatics they put in them!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I have done to my 7.3 is a Programmer, Glow Plugs, the under cover harnesses three times now and the Turbo that had 340000 Miles on it.  Most dependable, worst abused truck I have ever owned and owned since new.
ekjdm14 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekjdm14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2024 at 4:59am
This one is an '86 so should be mechanical injection, no electronics?

I suppose everyone's experiences are different, but having seen the treatment Peg, Sawedoff & the like give the old IDI's on youtube I know exactly what truck I'd be buying if I ever landed up that side of the pond.  Peg @ Zip ties 'n' bias plies has just recently done something like 3000miles cross country in a 6.9 with questionable head gaskets, just kept adding eggs & hammering down some more, it survived OK. 

And if you've ever seen his old 7.3 (nicknamed "slave lake" after the fire there, because of the smoke) you'll know it's been run hard on the ether and cold redlines for many years now, even ran it without coolant for a good while. Only the last year or so has he put working GP's in it...  Plus being IDI it'll run on anything vaguely flammable.

(Plus if it ever failed, I'd just offload it to one of those minty fellas)

Edited by ekjdm14 - 16 Oct 2024 at 5:06am
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3 hours 42 minutes ago at 8:39pm
Going tomorrow morning to check out a 1991 F-350 w/7.3L. Dually, 160,000 miles. Extended cab, Running boards, long bed w/topper. Automatic transmission.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic