This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1962 D15 Series I - Dies after good start

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrByte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1962 D15 Series I - Dies after good start
    Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 10:17pm
Gas
Problem: Runs rough after start, then stalls.

Current Condition: New: Battery, coil, wires, points/condenser, Cap, Plugs, rotor, starter, Marvel Carb rebuilt, Inline fuel filter added, compression tested, all within 5 of each other, Oil bath air filter cleaned and recharged. 
Distributor removed and inspected, advance cleaned and lubricated

History: After cleaning the advance mechanism and re-timing, it started instantly and ran like a sewing machine,,,,never better. Then, it suddenly started running rough and stalled out, never to run smooth again. Distributor inspected, no problem there. It acts like it is flooded. Will run at lowest possible throttle, but craps out at any higher speed with fouled plugs.  If run out of gas, just before dry it runs perfectly. Suspect rich fuel mixture. Any guidance would be music to your ears. 

Sponsored Links

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 6:53am
I would recheck carburetor. Venture missing?                         MACK
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 8:19am
Leave the air cleaner hose disconnected at the carb. Turn on the petcock at the sediment bowl fully. Wait. Wait. Wait.  I think your needle and seat are leaking badly allowing the carbs bowl to overfill, and if I am right, you will eventually have gas start dripping from the air horn inlet on the carb.
DrByte View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrByte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 11:07pm
Pulled Carb, checked needle valve and seat, double checked float spacing, reinstalled and tested, same problem. Then pulled distributor and checked advance weights and reset point gap, installed distributor and tested. Still same symptoms. Then did a compression check, cyl 1 and 2 , both 135. Cyl 3 and 4 , both 142, inductance tested plug wires, good
Attempted to start, super rough idle with some backfiring.
Thanks for the input 
Steve
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 4:28am
Got the spark plug wires in the right firing order?Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 5:29am
I would go through and recheck everything that you did. Check point gap and that no wires in the distributor are grounding out. Check to make sure all carb passages are clean and venturi  is installed correctly. (I would definitely take DrAllis suggestion about running it without the air filter hose attached and Mack's suggestion about the venturi.)

If it ran ok before, it's either something not installed correctly or a defective part.

I know you said that you changed the condensor, but I have had some of these brand new imported condensors that were no good. If you didn't throw out the old condensor, changing it back might be an easy place to start.

I hope you didn't install Champion plugs....
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 6:18am
Why didn't you just disconnect the air cleaner hose and VERIFY that the needle and seat were NOT LEAKING ?? with the gas turned on.  Visually looking at a needle and seat doesn't yield any information. Is the venturi installed ??
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 6:05am
Did you ever resolve your problem with this tractor?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic